How Much of Soylent Is Wasted?

How much of Soylent is wasted in every single batch; from the Soylent that gets spread through the air when pouring and the Soylent left in every bottle/cup. Would this be enough to give me some sort of deficiency in some aspects? Should Rosa Labs calculate for this in making a “Complete” nutrient profile.

From my perspective, I don’t think I waste much. I’m pretty careful about how the powder goes in the pitcher but have to admit there is some significant quantity left on the sides of the pitcher when I drink my last batch.

It’s a very interesting question.

I’m presuming that the loss is minimal (though you could always make Soylent water at the end of the day like I do, and have nearly zero loss).

Perhaps it’s possible to measure it? It woukd be interesting data to me, either way.

Yeah I do the trick with “cleaning” with water after finishing the batch and then drinking that too. Not yummy, but works.

I like my Soylent water.

We didn’t evolve to eat the exact same quantity of every single nutrient every day, so I think a little give here or there on what we take in is hardly the worst thing in the world. You’ll still be more consistent than you’d be even if you were going to the same restaurant and ordering the same entree every day.

I think what asympt said above me is very true. My completely unscientific feeling is that the human gastrointestinal system is unbelievably robust, to the extent that I feel pretty okay eating things other people probably definitely would not (a chicken nugget off of a mall floor never hurt anybody, right? Right?? Okay, that was probably too much information, hahaha).

That’s robustness against germs, though. But asympt’s analogy with robustness against both minute and enormous variation in nutrients also seems very plausible to me. The fact that people get by on very poor nutrition seems to me to suggest that a few micrograms here or there is a total non-concern.

My marginally more technical effort to answer your question: If you assume that

1. the Soylent powder a completely homogeneous mixture
  2. none of the components of the mixture are more prone or less prone than any other components to getting lost via stray powder or stuck to the pitcher
  3. one part in about a million (1 ppm) of the mixture gets lost to the pitcher or to stray powder (my 1 ppm is a total guess; anyone here a master of Fermi problems?)
  4. Soylent is perfectly manufactured such that its Nutrition Facts identically represent the contents of the mixture.

(1) and (2) imply that when you lose any powder you’re cutting your nutrient intake perfectly uniformly among your bag’s nutrient content. Adding (3) and (4) allows us to say that your intake for any nutrient x is 0.0001% lower than what Soylent’s nutrition facts label would have you believe. And that’s hardly an amount to get worried about.

That all is a super-idealized analysis though. A lot of the nutrients are less massive than others, so they’ll fly astray more easily as you pour the powder; others may dissolve better than others and therefore be underrepresented on the sides of your pitcher and glass. If you’ve got a scale you could measure the mass of the pitcher, bag+powder, bag w/o powder, and pitcher that is emptied of Soylent, do some arithmetic, and get a far better estimate for that 1 ppm portion I pulled out of nowhere. You probably don’t own a scale sensitive enough to measure the mass of the Soylent lost to the air while pouring, though. This measurement would just let you estimate how much was lost to the insides of the pitcher or your glass.

We’re definitely robust enough to handle inconsistency: a mix of ups and downs. But consistently short /does/ cause problems long term.

However I do agree, that the lost amount is most likely trivial.

Yeah our bodies is evolved to take lot of variance. We’d have died out already otherwise what with all diet changes across eras.

I’d say that Soylent is MUCH more consistent than what we usually get, even with minor variances due to mixure.

fold the opening of the pouch in half and then put the entire opening inside the pitcher. ( I fold the opening to form a plus (+) shape, and then fold the top to the right and the bottom to the left. It seems to open up better this way then just folding in half, but both will work). This works better than trying to pour it. If you do it right you don’t loose any Soylent.

I think it is nothing to worry about.

In the vitamin A thread, @MattCauble indicated that most nutrients in soylent are present in much larger quantities than can be reported on the back as per FDA regulations.

If you are consuming a relatively fresh batch of Soylent, I think you will be more than okay on that basis, even assuming that you need 100% of all nutrients.

This is genius. That’s something I honestly never thought of.

what I was doing for a while with my diy incurred virtually no waste. I measured into identical 1.8 litre containers and stored these till the day before. I would mix up a days batch and then transfer 600ml or so to a blender bottle for each “meal”. when that was done I’d top it up for the next meal. at the end of the day both bottle and the daily container were rinsed into the next days mix, then washed with detergent. so my daily Soylent was a kind of sourdough mix. not really, but kind of

It’s the only way to do it!

This is a pretty interesting question. However, I’d suspect that we’re likely talking about micrograms at best (from Soylent powder floating in the air while pouring into the blender), and probably several milligrams of residue that never made it out of the blender pitcher. Maybe a gram.

Overall, I seriously doubt that either you or your body would notice in any functional way.

But, I have no data on the original question of how much is actually wasted in reality. It seems like that would be really difficult data to actually obtain, especially if we’re talking about the powder floating in the air while pouring it into a vessel of some kind? Dunno.

1. Weigh an unopened bag of Soylent. Everyone still has their scale from DIY days right?
  2. Weigh a dry blender pitcher then dump the Soylent in allowing for maximum dusting.
  3. Weigh the now mostly empty bag and subtract from amount in part 1).
  4. rinse out the bag with water to remove all powder remnants and allow to dry thoroughly.
  5. Weigh the clean empty bag and subtract from amount in part 1) This gives you how much Soylent you started with. The difference between part 3) and part 5) tells you how much you left in the original bag and if it worthwhile rinsing bag into Soylent pitcher.
  6. Weigh the blender with powder and subtract from part 2) This tells you how much made it to the blender. Compare with part 3) to learn how much is lost to dusting.
  7. Dump blender back into original bag and weigh again. Compare with part 5) This gives you the total amount lost in transfer except that you had dusting twice. If the amount of dusting calculated in part 6) is significant then add back in once. We are approximating the amount of wet remnants in a pitcher to be similar to the amount of dry powder left in the blender which may not be accurate.

If this inaccuracy keeps you up at night thinking of ways to better measure the wet remnant consider the girl in the UK sent to the emergency room for collapsing during school into seizures. Starting at age 3 she refused to eat anything but McDonald’s chicken nuggets and the mother apparently gave in. That this diet of 100% nuggets sent her to the hospital is not surprising. Surprising is that it took until age 16 to do so!

Soylent powder is 97% bulk carbs and protein which are not critical ratios so the only concern here would be if the plastic pitcher had some strong adhesion to just certain vitamins or minerals that would let it pull them preferentially from the liquid.

I am laughing with you, not at you, but I am certainly laughing.

The pitcher is also holding liquid Soylent, which is at least half water. By bulk, maybe 1% of the residue would have micronutrients.