How much Protein per meal?

How many grams of Protein is in each meal?

Also how many times a day do you have this? / how long does a bag last?

Tom

Well, the nutrition information is available here.
A single bag represents a full days worth of food, or 2000 Calories. Using the standard 3 meals a day, a meal contains 38 grams of protein.
Conversely, there are 114 grams of protein per bag. If you want to eat more often, just divide. :smile:
6 meals = 19 g of protein per meal
9 meals = ~12.7 g of protein per meal

I have read recently, including in Consumer Reports, that men require about 54 grams of protein per day, and women a little less. They also indicate that too much protein “can worsen kidney function tests in people with kidney disease; over the long term, excessive protein might also cause calcium to be excreted from bones, increasing a person’s risk for osteoporosis and factures.” (December issue, p. 11). So 114 grams is over twice what we require. Anyone have thoughts about that? Why does Soylent make the stuff so protein rich?

@Cleveden How does the protein in it compare to the protein in the standard american diet? I really want to know.

This is an old post but it showed up in my feed.

Per the CDC site, Protein, the recommended range is 10-35% of calories from protein. They also cite the 56g figure for adult males, which, on a 2000 calorie diet, would be about 11.2% of calories. So when you’re talking about the 56 g figure, you’re pretty much talking about the minimum end of the healthy range. I think they do this partly because people in general like to consume a lot of high-protein fatty foods, and they generally need to be reminded that we don’t really NEED all that much; we need to be reminded to eat more fiber, etc.

That being said, the healthy range for protein is wide. You’re not consuming “too much” until you’re over 35%. Over that level, yes, you may be excreting calcium in your urine, and if your diet does not already provide ample calcium, your bone calcium might start getting depleted into your blood and then excreted. In fact, most people in the United States don’t get enough calcium, so this is a valid concern.

Soylent’s 114g of protein, in a 2000 calorie diet, is 22.8% of calories. That’s solidly in the middle of the recommended 10 to 35% range. Also, Soylent provides a full day’s supply of calcium, which is much better than the typical American diet. Lastly, a meal with low protein tends to be less satisfying for most people, so keeping the protein level up can help people avoid feeling hungry on Soylent, despite it not being solid food.

On calcium intake - outside of infants, not many of us get enough calcium. Only about half of adult men get the AI (Adequate Intake) level; for women, teenagers, and the elderly, the percentage is far lower - and that’s after accounting for the fact that people are taking vitamin/mineral supplements. With so few people getting enough calcium, you can see why excess protein can easily become a concern for people eating “normal food.”

But the answer to the calcium problem is to get enough calcium, not to restrict protein.

This table shows the percentage of each group getting the AI (Adequate Intake) of calcium. The first AI column shows how many get enough calcium from their food; the second AI column adds in multivitamin/mineral supplements and still shows that most of us don’t get enough.

Incidentally, for adults aged 19-50 eating 100% Soylent, the percentage of people hitting the AI is 100%.

I would like to point out that various citrates metabolize into bicarbonate which acts as a buffering agent in the blood to lower the effect of acidification on bone calcium caused by excessive protein consumption.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI//DRI_Water/186-268.pdf