"How Soylent Ships A Trillion Calories Per Month"

Via Sharestack by CTO of Soylent: http://stackshare.io/soylent/how-soylent-ships-a-trillion-calories-per-month

Interesting on the level of how Soylent conducts operations.

Potential for an environmentally friendly Soylent bottle? Glass, Aluminium, Plastic Substitute

They need to start paying you dude

If they hired him, things would be too speedy. We’d be on version 3.8, shipping would take a matter of hours, and we’d already be working on gloid absorbed through the skin because having to mix and drink Soylent just takes too long.

But really, thanks for the cool news updates and fast responses. Your contributions make the forums even more useful and interesting.

They should pay me for this blurb. :wink:

Soylent shipped 2 million meals a month (as of mid-2015). For each meal:

No trips were made to a grocery store or restaurant.
Energy consumption was reduced for shipping the food because it is dehydrated.
Energy consumption was reduced for refrigeration, and for washing dishes, pots and pans.
Energy consumption was zero for cooking.
Water and detergent consumption were reduced for cleanup.
No animal farming was required.
Time was saved in food preparation, consumption, and cleanup.

This is why i feel people shouldnt put pressure on RL regarding ‘‘sustainable’’ packaging. They are already making food production/consumption sustainable. I am sure they will get to the packaging part too eventually.

I think the only reason they didn’t immediately do global e-commerce is because certain countries can’t recycle certain products.

But in America mylar is fully recyclable, which is what the bags are made of. And the boxes are cardboard, also fully recyclable. The instruction booklet is recyclable.

So the only waste you might make from this product is the water to wash your pitcher and glass. This washer uses polymer beads, cutting the energy in about a fifth and over half for water savings. Then there’s Dolfi, a start up that sells a small device with a powerful transducer inside that can clean things via ultrasonic waves and water. And of course, anti-bacterial waterproof dishes would make even these unnecessary.

Someone asked how much water they use, and it was a really good question, but we use a lot of water on our end too.

I think the reasons they didn’t immediately do global e-commerce is because many countries have different regulations concerning the shipping of food products, and different shipping protocols between countries. But, that’s my own speculation.

Thanks! I had no idea the bag was recyclable. I’ve been recycling the box and booklet, but throwing the bags away. #TheMoreYouKnow

[Even throwing away the bags, I’ve always seen Soylent packaging as very environmental-friendly. Relative to the amount of food-realted trash (and recycling) I was producing pre-Soylent, the current waste is considerably reduced.]

I goofed, I meant to put “one of the reasons” and probably not the most important one (to the company).

Where is mylar recyclable? It is not recyclable in San Francisco, one of the places where more recycling is done than most other places; it is required to be put in the landfill bin. People had better check with their local systems before assuming they can recycle the bags.

@asympt, you are correct that it is not generally recyclable. Thanks for popping my balloon. (Mylar? Used in balloons? See what I did there?)

Although there might be one plant in San Francisco.

ehow.com, “Mylar consists of metalized plastic and nylon but cannot be thrown to the curb with other recyclables such as aluminum, plastic and paper. Unfortunately, there are only three recycling plants in the U.S. that will accept mylar. They are located in Oakland, San Fransisco and San Jose, Calif.”

Interesting; at any rate, recycle bins in San Francisco can’t accept mylar, so I don’t know where you can take your mylar to get it to that particular plant.

(Inconveniently, SF recycle bins also can’t accept plastic bags, which play havoc with the sorting system used in Recology’s recycle plant. You have to find a grocery store with bins that specifically are for plastic bags.)

Where you can recycle mylar (three plants only: Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose).

Looking them up, the Oakland and San Francisco places are reuse centers, not recycle plants. They accept clean mylar scrap for art projects. I don’t think they want our used Soylent bags; they want things like leftover mylar wrapping paper and decorations.

The San Jose plant does look to actually recycle mylar!