How to alleviate grittiness from DIY Soylent?

Hey guys, I just started People Chow 3.0.1, the taste is pretty much what I expected, I’m sure I could live off only this indefinitely, but… it’s VERY gritty. Like water with sand. I can’t really get it worked out, I have a blender bottle and shook it relentlessly, but it was still sandy water…

Should I mix it with milk? I tried Blending it and it just became dense?

I had a bit of a texture problem with my oat flour version, which was fixed by running all the dry ingredients through a sieve. A little more labor, but really worth it.

If that doesn’t work, perhaps you need a finer grain of masa?

Wow, I never even thought about doing that! I’d need a fairly tight sieve though

I went through this when I started my DIY, then I thought about it. This is food. We mentally condition ourselves to think that what we drink must be silky smooth or there is something wrong. Yet when we eat solid food we swallow huge chunks without thinking about it. So I just ignored the grains and started drinking. You get used to it. I now blend prunes into my DIY, they end up being quite chunky. I have oat bran and almond meal. If I think of it as food rather than drink it just goes down.

Interesting… Maybe If I just chewed it along with drinking it, it would make it much easier.

Just stick it in a bowl and use a spoon. Think of it as soylent soup and mentally the non-smooth texture won’t be a problem!

1. You might consider adding ingredients that will help blend the mixture together and prevent it from separating. Chia seeds (which contain omega-3 fatty acid and form a hyodrophilic gel in solution) and lecithin (which contains choline and is an emulsifier) will both help.

2. With or without emulsifiers, it’s a good idea to combine your dry ingredients with the oil and water the night before you need it, and keep it in the refrigerator to “soak in” overnight.

3. You can also try a blender.

If you put all three of these things together, you should get a mixture with a very even consistency. Assuming you’re using enough water to produce a volume of at least 2 quarts per day, it will be something like thick milk.

im experiencing the exact same problem as you lol, im honestly not sure if i can say it tastes good or bad simply because i cant get past the sand in water texture. Ill try letting the next batch soak over night and blending it. But if that doesnt help i honestly dont think i can continue to drink this much longer, very dissapointing.

Flax seeds are of the same hydrophilic nature, yes?

I don’t believe they are, actually. Even if they might technically be termed as such, the insoluble fiber in flax is probably at least an order of magnitude less hydrophilic (whereas chia seed fiber absorbs something like 9-12x its mass in water).

I may have just gotten used to it now, but the following has helped the texture pretty substantially for me:

• Microwave your primary carb source if its oat or almond in nature.
  • Mix all of your dry ingredients when they’re still dry.
  • Soy Lecithin is pretty great for keeping things together, especially when used with point 2.
  • Blenders (immersion or larger 2L-sized) are also friggin awesome. To prevent the excessive blending from heating up the mix, just add an ice cube or two.

Otherwise I think the combination in my mix (primary carb sources are oat powder and almond powder), with the stickyness of the pea and rice proteins, keeps everything very consistent, with little separation.

Xanthan gum is also a good additive to make things more smooth.

Dear lord, I forgot all about my Chia Seeds! I just put the entire days worth into this latest shake, then I used my Magic Bullet to blend it all up, THEN I put it in a shaker bottle and shook it like it owed me money. If that doesn’t work, I’ll add some Lecithin, but I’m not sure that would do to the overall mix :confused:

I just noticed, It always makes me gag as I drink it, but then after I choke it down, It tastes fine? It must just be that mental block of a chunky fluid?

It’s clear from my own experimentation and interaction with the community that we’re all different – not only in terms of our nutritional needs, but most especially in terms of taste. Some of us will be fine with something that others find completely revolting. As always, my suggestion will be more experimentation to find the right balance of ingredients and an overall approach that works best for you.

As for what you’re doing now: First off, make sure you’re drinking it cold. If you’re even close to the borderline of not liking the stuff, drinking it warm will be even more of a put-off. Always combine it the night before and fully refrigerate.

If you’re not a fan of consuming something that’s even a little bit uneven, definitely use a blender. Better still, throw in some ice cubes to make a blend that is both smooth and icy cold.

Clearly some of our taste preference and perceptions of palatability are psychological. I have a theory that the folks who have the biggest problem with DIY soylent tend to be the ones who are thinking of it in terms of “drinking” it straight down the hatch as opposed to “eating food.” I’ve noticed that I actually “chew” mine a bit before swallowing, which is perhaps why I prefer some unevenness and don’t typically use a blender (whereas my wife insists upon it).

Those are all some Fantastic ideas Quid! I’m going to go mix up tomorrows soylent, today, so it is icy cold, then perhaps prior, I’ll blend it with Ice Cubes to get a sort of smoothie texture?

It’s absolutely incredible how much easier it made consuming people chow by simply chewing as I drink. It’s lightyears easier now. I guess mind over matter wins out this one! Thanks a lot guys!

I guess my question is this: why settle? Your gag reflex is there for a reason. We aren’t simply spoiled in expecting what we drink to be silky smooth. Sure, you can get around it, or get used to it, but it’s definitely not a bad idea to continue to tweak the recipe until it has a smooth texture.

I got a cheese mesh netting and a microsieve, I figured I can drink the silky smooth, and then eat whatever powder remnants remain like oatmeal!

We cover this issue quite often in the People Chow comments section.

1. The first recommendation is always to try a different brand of Masa. All mass varies a bit in texture from brand to brand and even from bag to bag in the same brand. While Maseca is the most popular i personally found Walmarts Great Value “Corn Tortilla Mix: Instant Corn Masa flour” to be slighty less grainy.

2. I also find it easier especially in the beginning to use a straw as it allows more control over how much you get in your throat at a time. It also gets the bottom first and kinda more evenly distributes any sediment through out the drink as you drink it.

3. To help with texture if it is to bad i use a coffee bean grinder on a per serving basis (one serving of powder ~1 cup or 110 grams). My grinder only fits about a half cup (~half a serving of powder) at a time. I grind for about 30 seconds to a minute for each half cup. Learn from my mistake and do not add the oil to the powder if you plan on using a coffee bean grinder, it will gum up and not grind the flour very well. The results are worth it in my opinion though they do add a couple of minutes to prep per serving. Personally i also swap out some masa with oat flour which helps with emulsification, but be warned that oat cause gas and bloating for some.

You said you blended it but it just got "thicker? Are you adding water to fill your bottle?