How to factor Bridge & Squared into 100% days and workout days

I don’t go 100% every day, but I do on many days. On days when I work out, I’m never quite sure what the ideal pre-workout or post-workout foods are and I got into Soylent because I like simplicity, so if I’d otherwise be aiming for 100% Soylent, I’d like to at least get as close to that as possible.

What I do now when I’m aiming for 100%ish:
NON-WORKOUT DAYS: 2000 calories (5 bottles) of Soylent 2.0, often supplemented by an RX Bar (usually 210 calories).
WORKOUT DAYS: same amount of Soylent (make sure one is about an hour before the gym), 2 RX Bars, sometimes an RTD post-workout drink like Muscle Milk but usually not because honestly I’m still not clear on which of these drinks are worthwhile and which are just garbage.

What I’m thinking might make sense:
NON-WORKOUT DAYS: replace the RX Bar with Squared, on the assumption that’d be more nutritionally balanced (although I haven’t researched that yet)
WORKOUT DAYS: 2000 calories of Soylent and a post-workout Bridge? (And maybe also Squared if I’m hungry, and maybe also RX Bars if I want something higher in protein?)

Iffy about that use of Bridge because I know carbs are your friend post-workout, but maybe my next regular Soylent would have me covered there? (In case anyone asks, my primary workout goal right now is weight loss, with building muscle as a secondary goal.)

Thanks for any advice!

There’s a lot to consider here, so I’m going to break this down into different categories.

First, let’s look at the idea of having different nutrition goals for your workout and rest days. Does it make sense? In short it doesn’t, but it can certainly seem that way at first glance. After all, it would seem logical for a change in activities to correspond with a change in nutrition. And that does make sense, but only in a long term sense. Having 2-3 rest days each week isn’t enough to warrant a change. Your daily nutrition (macros, calories) should be mostly consistent within the span of a week. But why is that? It’s simple really, your body needs energy to participate in activities and it also needs energy to recover and grow from those activities.

Let’s next consider the impact that our macros have next since that seemed to be a big concern. Only Protein and Fats are worth having specific targets for. Protein is 0.8 grams per pound or 1.75 grams per kilogram, and Fats should be 0.5 grams per pound or 1.1 grams per kilogram of bodyweight. Why are carbs less important? They just fill the rest of your macros, and if you feel like you need more energy then you would simply up your carbs and adjust your macros accordingly.

As far as preworkout and postworkout nutrition is concerned, unless you are an elite athlete - it doesn’t matter. The postworkout anabolic window is a myth, and training fasted or full is simply a matter of preference. On a similar subject, if you are doing 100% Soylent you’ll likely have trouble reaching your Protein goals. So in your case, protein powder will be pretty useful. MyProtein and BulkSupplements would be my top two recommendations for places to purchase protein and other supplements from.

Your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is also an important consideration. Sure, a lot of products talk about a 2000 calorie diet, but people vary. Calculate your TDEE using the following link and then subtract 200-300 calories for consistent fat loss. Keeping the deficit small like that should also allow you to build muscle simultaneously if you are new to lifting. https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator

As far as the Soylent Bar and Bridge are concerned, just try to keep good macros and consistent calories. Add or subtract them as you see fit. I think that covers it, sorry for the late response. Let me know if you have other questions or want a clarification on something.

2 Likes