Hungry, but afraid of manganese (Modifying Hackerschool Soylent)

Hi,

I just started the hackerschool soylent recipe. So far, so good. However, I am a bit hungry after my dinner shake. I am curious how to modify the recipe without overdosing on manganese.

First, I am male, 6’0, 180 lbs. I have a goal to lose a few pounds of fat and gain muscle. I am not sure how many calories per day to be eating. FDA suggest around 2500.

To feel more full, I was considering adding a scoop of Gold Standard Whey Protein, which I already own a tub of. However, I don’t know if it contains manganese. The hackershool recipe is already close to the UL. How can I tell if this protein powder will put me over?

- Bridger Maxwell

The side of the container should have the nutrient breakdown of what’s in it, check to see the manganese levels. If you’re at risk of crossing the UL have a look at the Hackerschool recipe if you can (There’s a Hackerschool recipe on MakeSoylent if yours doesn’t have an accurate breakdown) and see if you can lower any manganese heavy ingredients to make room for the whey protein.

The problem is that no labels show manganese! The hackerschool recipe claims that oat flour, soy protein powder, flax, and cocoa powder all contain manganese — yet only the Trader Joe’s soy protein powder lists it on the nutrition facts. Apparently, it isn’t a required to report manganese content.

Really? I’ve got a protein powder here and it lists manganese. Try Googling the makers website and see if they list it there?

You can approximate using the USDA National Nutrient Database to estimate nutrient values for many ingredients. Apparently the page is shutdown because of the US government shutdown.

I’m actually using the same protein powder now to supplement for more calories and protein. I called Optimum Nutrition and they said they are not required to test for manganese levels, so they don’t know. They did say that any manganese would be naturally occurring from the whey.

Under the USDA National Nutrient Database [http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list], there are two whey protein listings:
14066, Beverages, Protein powder whey based
14058, Beverages, Whey protein powder isolate

The first doesn’t have any manganese listed, and the second has a whopping 5814 mg per 100g, which doesn’t seem realistic to me.

WolframAlpha says 0.75 micrograms in 50g of whey protein.

There are sources listed at the bottom but I haven’t gone through them yet.

Lastly, I have switched over completely to the Hackerschool Soylent for 2 days now. Both days I took about 40g of the 100% WHEY GOLD STANDARD (Vanilla Ice Cream flavor) in addition to the soylent. I haven’t experienced any Parkinson’s like symptoms so far. I am male, 5’6’’ 135 lbs. OP, if you any other information I would be very interested in comparing notes with you.

Let us not demonize manganese. Manganese is critical in the syntheses of mitochondrial superoxide dismutase. In the mitochondria, the main job is making ATP, the energy molecule. In this process much singlet oxygen is produced; this is a highly toxic oxidant that is quenched by superoxide dismutase (SOD). We need at least 10mg/day of manganese to keep the oxidation to a minimum in the mitochondria. Rob, did you know this?
~Dennis