I am a 450 lb man with a 200 lb girlfriend, and we are both switching to soylent-only diets. Just bought our starter packs. Please share your wisdom

My girlfriend and I are seriously interested in soylent + exercise for losing weight. We’ve been doing keto, but despite it helping me greatly in the beginning (I weighed 550 lbs when I started, I’ve lost almost 100 lbs), it hasn’t been working recently. Thus, we are looking for something new to shock our systems into submission and compliance.
I am tired of my diet efforts being SABOTAGED by food that is difficult to calculate, by accidental over-eating due to forgetting to log something, not knowing what was in it, etc. etc. etc.
I want to try soylent. JUST soylent. Zero additional food or drink (except water). Period. Full-stop. End of line.
I do realize that there are keto versions of soylent, but we’re trying to default 1.1 first since it’s cheaper than buying the ingredients (the keto stuff was something like $300+ on Amazon for all we needed, even though that’d last us a good long time most likely).
I’ve just bought the 14 bags for $130/mo for a start.
I did notice that on the site, it says it’ll ship in [2-3 months][1], but on the order confirmation (after they’ve taken my payment), it says [4-5 months][2] … which is kindof irritating.
However, I’ll wait.
In the meanwhile, I’d love to hear any advice (for weight loss or otherwise) for going 100% soylent, that the general community can give to me. :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Best advice I can give out of the gate is to start slow. If you want to end up at 100% Soylent that’s fine, but don’t just dive in. Replace maybe 1 meal a day with it for a few days, then go to 2 if you feel ready for it, then maybe a few days later try going to 3, etc. Everyone is different and some have been able to go cold-turkey 100%, but I’d say that it seems to be a minority. I’ve seen lots of very unhappy folks talking about how rough it was just jumping in all the way at once.

So ease into it, and also don’t drink too much too fast. Remember the calorie load of Soylent and that it’s actually food. It’s so easy to drink fast, you can “overeat” quite easily without realizing it at all, until later when you feel bloated and awful.

Others will probably have advice to share too, but that’s my initial $0.02! :slight_smile:

You can dive straight in if you’re feeling adventurous. I did that. Felt like crap for a week. Then I felt good.

My main advice is that while you should try to do 100% Soylent (one you feel ready), I would recommend against being overly strict about it. If you want a healthy snack from time to time (once every few days or once a day), I recommend just doing it. Soylent is designed to meet RDA which is an average. And averages don’t fit everyone.

Don’t forget that, unless it’s Soylent 1.2 by the time you get it and they’ve upped the salt, you’ll need about a quarter teaspoon extra (non-iodized) salt per pitcher (not that you have to add it to the pitcher, you can take it on the side).

I’m guessing you’ll get your first order in three to four months. On the whole, delivery times for first orders have been improving over time, with occasional setbacks. You can always try @axcho’s Schmoylent or other recipes, or some of @spaceman’s 100%Food recipes or premade DIYs from other makers at powderedfoods.com in the meantime. You’ll find reviews here if you do some searches; there are plenty of happy customers, some who’ve used them for stopgaps and some who’ve decided to stay with them. (Both @axcho and @spaceman have recipes specifically for weight loss.)

Good luck to you both!

Calorie counts are important. Your keto diet may of stopped because your eating enough calories to maintain your current weight. Soylent is the same way. I would suggest visiting the nutrition calculator and see how many calories it suggests.

http://diy.soylent.me/nutrient-profiles/calculator

My suggestion is to figure out several flavoring options you really like, so you can change up the flavor. I have found that I need a little variety to keep to a Soylent diet.

Also, you should allow yourself some crunchy snacks like carrots, celery and apples (I also sneak in a few spicy peanuts).

Seconding to ramp up slow, it seems to work best for most.

I’ve lost ~60 pounds in the last 10 months with soylent, it’s a great tool for what you are trying to accomplish.

Since it will probably be a while before you start on Soylent I would recommend checking out the keto side of reddit, if you don’t already spend time there. May help while you wait.

Keep in mind you will gain some weight when you start if you are currently keto. Your body will be rebuilding is glycogen stores, which includes a lot of extra water weight. If you want to try a keto soylent without the big startup cost I would recommend checking out @axcho, he sells them at about the same cost as Soylent and you could order a sample to try first. There are several current versions, but he will also make a custom version for you. I would recommend trying a sample first, I haven’t tried any of his recipes, but with my own DIY’s I found that keto variations are difficult to get right in the flavor department.

There are a lot of ways to kick yourself out of keto, slowing or stalling your progress, it can be disheartening. I think keto soylent would be an easy way to avoid those pitfalls, best of both worlds kind of thing.

I’m using Soylent to lose weight as well. It makes it easier to count calories, keeps your diet balanced, and makes food prep easier. That is all it does for me. It is not some magic bullet that makes me allows me to lose weight without hunger and it doesn’t take away my cravings for normal food. If I drink Soylent to the point of satisfying hunger, I will gain weight. So there will still be a lot of discipline involved. I suppose it depends a lot on the person.

Consult your doctor first. Then proceed very very slowly…It’s taken me about a week to be able to handle 20oz total per day without serious gas issues.

And I’ve been on multiple diy’s and Soylent 1.0.

Going the DIY route can be very expensive at the start, and I personally get not wanting to drop $300 on some powders and tinctures to find out that it’s not something you like or can stick to. There are DIY blends for sale, including keto recipes. I bought Phill Fuel from @Axcho’s shop http://custombodyfuel.com/product/phill-fuel/ and it’s only a little more expensive than official Soylent (due to oil not being included, and this particular blend needs 160 mL of oil per pitcher). Here’s my review of it, if you’re interested. http://discourse.soylent.me/t/schmoylent-and-soylent-my-quick-review-of-each/15813/67?u=eleven

My goal is to find a DIY blend I like (and may already have) before paying to obtain all the ingredients in bulk and make it myself. Also, it seems like CBF ships much sooner (I waited a month for my first week, and around one week for my second order of one week), though I do not know if these are standard wait times.

Good luck to you both.

I totally get not wanting to go DIY at first - neither did I. However, the many-month wait was also daunting, so I eventually did, and I don’t regret it.

Also, it may cost more upfront, but I bought everything in bulk sizes. Some things will last me nearly a years. And my actual cost per day comes out lower than official Soylent. It take some getting used to, and there’s work every couple of days mixing ingredients (I do so every sixth day), but it becomes routine, and costs me considerably less, overall, than Soylent 1.0 did.

Also, on using 100% soylent or Soylent as a weight-loss diet - it definitely makes it easier to track. Also, it’s easier to be disciplined if nothing other than soylent is “allowed;” you give yourself no wiggle room to rationalize with. (This is one part of why exclusion diets are successful; the psychological effect of excluding whole categories leads to less intake overall.)

One “benefit” you may not expect - if you go on an all-liquid diet for more than a few days, and you never guzzle large amounts of drink at a time, your stomach will actually shrink. This also happens if you go on a severe diet for a while, like a PSMF. Then, when you go off diet - whether it’s a planned break or a social binge - you’ll find that you’re unable to eat very much food without feeling uncomfortable and “stretched.” It helps to limit your intake when you’re off plan. Note that you don’t feel satiated, which is partly a chemical response - you just feel uncomfortably full and unable to eat more food without pain.

Whichever way you go, good luck to the both of you.

You might find that Soylent causes you to have some digestive issues. Many people have had that problem. It sounds like you are more careful about your diet than the average person, especially if you even know about ketogenics, so your weight likely has as much or more to do with the way your body processes food as it does with any food choices you make. You’ll probably have to experiment with the way you prepare and drink your Soylent or with adding something to it to make it more digestible. I’ve also heard good things about @axcho 's Schmoylent as far as digestibility goes, but you can probably make official Soylent work just as well.

Suggestions about weight loss:

In 2013, after reviewing 16,000 studies, Sweden’s Council on Health Technology Assessment concluded low-carbohydrate diets are more effective as a means to reduce weight than low-fat diets, over a short period of time (six months or less). However, the agency also concluded, over a longer span (12–24 months), no differences occur in effects on weight between strict or moderate low-carb diets, low-fat diets, diets high in protein, Mediterranean diet, or diets aiming at low glycemic indices.
According to the written we can use Low Carb blends for faster weight loss, and after 6 month we can switch to regular 2000 cal to maintain desired weight (Wiki, in Swedish)

According to the above information and this video we drafted a “Lose weight” diet:

1. Define your intake using BMI calculator
  2. Eat 500 cal less than required
  3. Eat Low Carb blend for faster weight loss
  4. After reaching desired weight or 6 months (whichever earlier) - switch to regular 2000 cal intake.

Be prepared to adjust and adapt to what satiety, hunger, cravings, etc. mean to you. I’ve really come to appreciate the fine differences between those things. If your used to eating and feeling full, learning to adapt to hunger fading slowly can be hard.

I’m half way through my second week. I drink Soylent exclusively at breakfast and am still trying to figure out the rest of the day. For a week I did Soylent exclusively at lunch and a normal, healthy dinner. Monday or Tuesday this week I saw my manager pull a wheat bread turkey with yellow mustard sandwich out of his bag and I almost lost it. It is very surprising how I missed variety at lunch so much.

Today I brought my Soylent lunch but also just a plain chicken breast sandwich. I’m hoping to get over my mental need for variety at lunch.

ld;dr: My advice is to be conscience of both the Physical and Mental needs and affects once you get on Soylent. I’m rollin solo so I suggest you and your girlfriend help each other out.

Agreed! There’s a lot of research out there, about more “typical” dieting, that points out the value of regular “diet breaks.” Initially, the thought was that this might important for a metabolic effect (getting more calories keeps your metabolism from getting depressed, otherwise you won’t burn as much fat), but as the evidence piles up, it seems it’s actually more important as a psychological break from dieting, without which people don’t adhere as strictly to their diet, or give up their diet entirely.

The diet you quit never works well!

Which leads into my comment to @Spaceman

I think this is a subtle misapplication of the research. There have been many, may studies finding that low carb does not lead to better weight loss when the diet is carefully controlled to provide equal calories. The reason low-carb frequently gives better short-term results is because man people find it easier to adhere to the diet and to control their intake. But this applies to eating habits in a non-soylent environment, and those studies were in a non-soylent environment.

Whether or not people find it easier to “stop eating” when they’re eating cheese rather than bread is irrelevant if they’re eating neither!

If someone is doing soylent, their calorie intake is already very well-controlled. If they will lose weight on 2000 kcal a day, they will get pretty much the same results whether they go low-carb, low-fat, or whatever. Since they can expect equal results, they should use the mix that they simply prefer, whatever they enjoy and they can tolerate.

The only well-supported change to make for a reduction diet is actually to increase the protein; most people losing weight want to conserve lean tissue, and getting a little more protein can help with that. This means some reduction in fats/carbs, but it’s really the increased protein changing the overall results - outside of the protein, it mostly comes down to calories.

Thanks @MentalNomad for discussion of the role of intake levels - I also believe that’s the main.
And thanks for mentioning the role of protein. You might be right - the weight lost effect boosted not by lowering cabrs, but increasing protein intake. FYI - 100%FOOD Low Carb contains 3x more protein compared to regular 2000 cal specs.

Yup . This is my current challenge with single meal replacement.

First: congratulations on your 100lb drop. Awesome!

All diets plateau at some point, so don’t sweat it or change your plans because of the plateau.

Second: You bought 14 bags/days. That’s is 2 weeks, for one person, or one week for two, not a month for two.

You probably know that, but we don’t know that you know that, so someone had to mention it.

Third: I’m getting Soylent shipments now, but I got impatient and started with Axcho’s Schmoylent and protein-weighted People Food Plus. I plan on continuing to use both for nutritional variety and supply chain security. You may wish to consider doing the same. Lots of satisfied customers post here for Axcho and Spaceman.

Fourth: The DIY formulas that people like Spaceman and Axcho have so generously posted and refined here, link to all of the ingredients in best-value quantities. If you look to alternate packages of various items, you’ll see smaller quantities for less money up front, but more money per unit of measure - just like Costco and your corner grocery. If cash flow is something you actively manage, smaller quantities may appeal, especially at first.

Fifth: Caloric reduction is always guaranteed to drop pounds. You may even drop lbs on a full 2,000 calorie day’s dose of Soylent. Hard for me to know without knowing you.

If you’re going to eat less than 2,000 calories a day, (1,800 for women) you’ll want to add back some vitamins, as well as normal supplements of salt and water.

Again, congrats on your success already.

I believe you can have great success following your plan. You must remember that your weight is going to be pretty much totally controlled by “Calories In.” If you believe that somehow Soylent is a magic bullet that will get you into a more healthy weight class, you might be over playing our card. You can gain weight on Soylent just like on any other food. First, you can plain old eat too much of it. Second, you can eat non-Soylent foods and cheat up. On a couple of occasions I’ve eaten my Soylent lunch and then sat down and eaten my second lunch with my wife! Not a formula for weight control. But it is a simple system and that’s a big plus. I would ease in over maybe a week or two, then go full on. I wish you the best. You seem to realize this is the most important commitment you and your girlfriend can make in your lives. Don’t think it’s going to be easy because it’s simple, but know it’s going to be worth it. “WELL” worth it.