I can't drink Soylent anymore

…and I’m seriously bummed out about it. Soylent was going to help me start making healthier dietary choices and save some money in the process. It actually worked for a while, but then I began having issues.

Soylent gives me really bad diarrhea and stomach pains. If I drink one in the morning for breakfast, I’m using the bathroom as soon as I get to work, and it’s getting me in trouble. I’ve narrowed it down to the “sugar alcohol” that’s used in the formula, but I don’t know if that’s 100% it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I see you just joined this site.

What kind of Soylent did you consume? For how long? How much a day? How long did you consume it before you started getting symptoms?

It’s not particularly unusual for some people to go through an adjustment period when they start Soylent.

The first time I tried it I drank roughly 1 to 2 a day for 4 months. It gave me stomach pain from the beginning, but by the end I was in the bathroom 4 or 5 times a day. I don’t remember what exact version it was, but it was soon after they switched to a square bottle, and I switched back and forth between Cacao and the newly released Chai one.

The second time I tried making it work I drank about the same amount, 1 or 2 a day, for 6 months this time. I stopped drinking them a couple months ago now. This time they’re in round bottles and I switched to only drinking Cacao. It had the exact same effect: stomach pain from the first bottle on, and then frequent restroom visits from about 2 weeks on, getting worse and worse until I decided to quit.

It sure sounds like you’re sensitive to something in Soylent.

I didn’t even realize Soylent has sugar alcohol in it — it must be well below the level that affects me, but everyone is different. The other thing you might want to check is soy, of course. If it’s the soy that’s affecting you, there are non-soy competitors.

Wow that’s amazing! You have a lot of patience. If I felt pain whenever I drank something, I would stop in a few days. That’s because I never have pain when I consume things. If pain is that normal to you, I hope you talk to a doctor about it.

Have you tried vegetable-based alternatives like Biolent?

Are you drinking water with the Soylent? I always drink at least a glass of water along with a Soylent. One sip of Soylent, one sip of water, one sip of Soylent, one of water, and so on. When I tried just drinking Soylent straight, I always got a headache.