I Created a Blog About my Soylent Weight Loss Journey

Hi guys,

I received my Soylent order last week and just started my Soylent journey today! I am trying to get from 12% BF to 7%. I created this blog to keep myself accountable and also share my experiences with others. If I make it, I hope it’ll inspire others.

Check out the blog here: http://fitting-pajamas.ghost.io/

Feedback, corrections, and criticisms are welcome. :smiley:

The text is very faint and hard to read. Any chance of making it darker?

Thanks,
Zenman

I’m not surprised you’re craving food if you only had just over a thousand calories that day. I don’t know anything about weight-loss-through-calorific-restriction, but are you sure this is how you’re meant to do it? Intuitively, starving yourself to such an extent isn’t good, and if I were a body then I’d ditch the muscle as soon as I could if I were only receiving half the fuel I needed each day. (I reiterate that I don’t know about these things, so my opinion might well be complete nonsense - do tell me if that’s the case.)

Absolutely. I chose that theme so that I could get the comment system up quickly. I’ll spend some time later today getting the text into a more readable color.

Yeah, that has always been a concern. In the cutting phase, you are trying to minimize muscle loss and sustain fat loss. All of the calorie restriction stuff I’ve come across just seems to say something along the line of “more protein, less carbs, less calories”. Right now, I don’t have a good answer. It’s only day 1 so it could also be a psychology dependency on tasty, fatty, salty foods. I’ll give this current caloric intake a week and then adjust it.

Thanks for raising that concern.

Ever thought about doing a DIY ketogenic soylent? It will help preserve muscle as you drop fat.

It is widely held by nutritionists (Citation needed) that men should generally never restrict calories below 1500 per day and women should never restrict below 1200 per day, unless there is some specific individual dietary concern. I haven’t yet read through the blog so I’m just guessing here, but chances are if you’re using Soylent for weight loss then the nutritional balance of Soylent will be far better than that of your previous diet, meaning that you will have even less need for caloric restriction than on a traditional diet.

Depending on your previous caloric intake, I would start off by consuming something closer to your daily recommended intake based on height, weight, and activity level, and then reduce it from there to no-less-than 1500 per day.

The font color has been updated. I hope it’s more readable now.

My BMR is around 1500. I was shooting for 1200 calories in a day. I suppose if I bump it to 1500 then I should be good given that I do more than sleep all day. A cursory google search suggested the same thing as what you mentioned Nwoll27. I’ll spend some time this evening to investigate more thoroughly.

That seems pretty sensible to me; though if your BMR is 1500 then dropping down to 1200-1300 is probably okay (depending on your activity of course, but it sounds like you’re aware of that). I’m hoping Soylent will help with weight loss for me as well since I’m pretty terrible when it comes to breakfast and lunch discipline, so I wish you luck!

Okay, finally got to checking out the blog itself. A few thoughts:

The actual design looks slick, but there are major contrast/readability issues on the blog title (“Fitting Pajamas”) and the date and subtitle for individual posts. It probably looks good on your monitor but lower quality and lower resolution monitors don’t have the kind of contrast for dark colors to make that test readable- consider a splash of color for these or at least some contrast adjustment.

Also, careful with the alcohol. I know all-too-well how quickly that can make up the difference in calories when you’re otherwise watching your intake haha

I did not realize the header was anything besides a black bar, until I read @nwoll27’s comment. And I’m currently working on macbook, so yeah…

This is what I am seeing. The text at the top is way too close in contrast. Also, the width or the writing is VERY narrow. I would like it to fill a much larger percentage of the screen. I do like the minimalist aesthetic though.

Thanks for all your user interface feedback guys. I’m not the creator of this UI actually. I used a free template and only did minimal tweaks (https://github.com/haydenbleasel/phantom).

Since it is hard to read, I’ll probably switch to a more usable template.

Breakfast and lunch discipline is definitely tough. I found that coffee helped me get into the habit of skipping breakfast. Yes, I know it’s the most important meal of the day, but I wake up at 8 and have lunch at noon, so to me noontime is my breakfast.

@nwoll27, good luck on your weight loss journey!

Hey guys, the Day Two blog post is up. Enjoy!

http://fitting-pajamas.ghost.io/2014/08/20/soylent-day-2-heavy-eyes-and-wired-body/

Best of luck with your goal! 7% is quite a goal, and I am interested to see how you fare with just Soylent and your exercise. I’ll be following along!

@mcpancakes Thank you! this blog is keeping me accountable so I hope it’ll work out.

Hey I use the same scale you do…Good stuff!

I like the new layout much better!