I eat 1000 cal of Soylent a day--pros & cons of 1 batch / 2 days vs making 1 half-batch per day?

So I just started on Soylent and during the week I only eat 1000 cal of it per day.

I’ve been making a whole container and just eating it over 2 days.

I read on some other threads about people making a half-batch per day…

That seems like more work to me–having to split the powder in half, make a batch daily, etc.
Is there a benefit to doing so? Is it not as good to eat soylent prepared the day before? (I consume within 48 hours of preparetion…)

Thoughts?

No

Also no.

It is fine to eat Soylent prepared the day before. We all have our preferences. It should be refrigerated if you are keeping it overnight.

So then I’m curious–why do people go through the extra work of preparing 2 batches over 2 days instead of 1 larger batch?

And yeah I either:

• Make it on Night 1 (e.g., the night of the 15th)
  • Eat it day 2 (16th) & day 3 (17th), finishing the last of it before the time I made it on the 15th (so < 48h)
  • Make more night of the 17th

Or I make it that morning (16th in example above). Always it is in the fridge.
My work feeds me (healthy food) for breakfast & lunch & snacks, I use soylent at home for dinner & later snacks & on weekends. (So the only time it is out of the fridge it is in a glass being consumed.)

Because they think it tastes better, I imagine.

I wonder that myself. I suspect everyone has their own reasons.

When I go for smaller batches, it’s usually because I anticipate my Soylent intake to fluctuate, and am unsure if I’ll get to it within 48 hours…or the pitcher’s dirty and I don’t feel like washing it out.

But if you eat the same amount every day, and it’s rare that you deviate, then there’s no real benefit to smaller batches unless you’re eating 1.4. Freshly mixed 1.4 seems to taste better to many people.

My jug of Soylent generally lasts three days. I don’t notice any change in taste or texture but then I swirl it with my blender before each cup. Mixing a partial package is a pain. I know, because I have to do it with my 1.4 in order to have it diluted for the taste.

I usually mix up two bags at a time and have it over the course of 3-4 days. The only time I go for batches less than a full bag is when I am experimenting with flavoring; then I go with 16oz “canning” jars, or the 20oz bottles that can go on my blender.

I use my 2-liter blender as the storage container. So that I just have to set it on the engine when I want another cup. It’s not a pricy blender and I’m lazy. Which is why I’m a Soylent customer after all.

I make small batches because the consistency changes after it sits for too long (I’m still on 1.4 – yuck).

Hmm, this is with 1.4… I have about 5 weeks of 1.4 to go through still (at my 1/2 package a day rate).

I do have my first 1.5 batch chilling in my fridge for tonight & tomorrow, but then unless it is significantly better (I like 1.4 just fine, even on the 2nd day its been sitting), I’ll be finishing off 1.4 first.

(I add 2 tsp of ceylon cinnamon & 2 heaping tsp of raw cacao–tastes pretty good to me.
1 tsp of each wasn’t enough for the 1.4 to taste reasonable though.)

I made a pitcher at a time from 1.0 through 1.3. But 1.4 I don’t like after it’s soaked, so I’ve been making a serving at a time, which is annoying, and I hope is solved by 1.5.

I use blender bottles and tend to keep 4 bottles of 500 calories in the fridge. So I might make anywhere from 0 to 4 bottles at night depending what I was at.

Why would someone make smaller batches? For a while I was making it up a pitcher at a time. I do not however consume 2,000 calories of soylent a day. Nor do I consume nice even numbers that divide into 2,000. Let’s say I consume 1000 calories Monday and 1500 calories Tuesday. If I make 2,000 calories up Sunday night and drink 1,000 on Monday that leaves me with 1,000 in the pitcher in the fridge going into Tuesday. How do I get the other 500?

What I did for a while was pour the remaining amount out of the pitcher into blender bottles and then make up a new pitcher but that seemed pretty ridiculous as I was washing not only the pitcher but also some blender bottles. So I just use the blender bottles alone now. With a nice “spoon” shaped scoop & scale it’s not that terrible to measure it out.

I make mine a meal at a time and drink it right away, I found that letting it sit overnight takes away some of the grittiness that I like. I transfer the powder to a plastic canister for convenience, and two heaping 45g scoops will get me real close to 115g. I have six blender bottles and that makes it easy to manage, so now it is no different than a protein shake routine.

I now keep a second canister and bottle at work, where I have a sink and a cold water dispenser in the break room. Now I have Soylent breakfast and lunch right at my desk and I don’t have to go out to eat or lug a thermos around with me.

It seems like a lot of people eat less than 2000 calories per day. Maybe it would be beneficial if the pouch was perforated into 4 sections of 500 calories. Just an idea.

Of course, the usage envisioned by RL is that many people will keep the Soylent they made in the Fridge for up to two days, so people drinking less than 2000 calories in one day is expected. The remainder simply sits in the refrigerator patiently waiting for the human to drink it.

People are specifically talking about how they have made less than a full package at a time for different reasons, though, and some versions of Soylent (apparently mainly 1.4) have not been as good when held in a fridge. Also, some people might not have access to a fridge in some situations.

Rob, the inventor of Soylent, for example, said he doesn’t have a refrigerator. I was mainly explaining how Soylent was usually meant to be used, since you seemed to think that using less than 2,000 calories was an unusual condition. My opinion is that the overwhelming preponderance of Soylent users refrigerate it. And Rob thought that most users don’t finish a pitcher in one day.

I experimented a few times with making Soylent in a glass, without refrigeration. Without measuring anything, I poured water in a glass and dumped what seemed to be a good amount of powder. Then I stirred. It seemed to work fine to me.

I do half a batch each day because I normally have 1000 calories of soylent in a day. Some days I might decide to eat more than usual of other food though, so then I just have 1250 or 1500 calories of soylent the next day. It gives me room for flexibility without worrying about having any go bad. Worst case scenario, I have to drink some that is not as cold as I’d like, but I’ll take that over having it spoil in the fridge.

It’s easy to do, as I have marked the level for each serving on my pitcher, know the line to fill the water to, and I just weigh 230 g of powder into it after I put the water in. I also use a different pitcher that’s sort of oblong shaped, which the bag fits nicely into. It’s really not any more work than making a full batch, and my dishes get washed every day so it’s a win-win situation.