I feel tired just after drinking Soylent

Today is my second day on Soylent. I’ve had five servings over the course of two days. Starting with my second serving, I noticed that I feel a sharp drop in energy just a few minutes after consuming Soylent. After a little research, I decided to take a blood glucose test to see if I’m diabetic, but my levels are normal. I have searched the forum and haven’t found any posts about feeling a drop in energy just after drinking Soylent. Any thoughts on what could be happening? I’m hoping it’s just my body adjusting to a new diet.

Thanks!
Jason

Can you tell a little about yourself and your body? That might give us a better insight to what is going on, and to what degree is this tiredness hitting you?

Is this DIY or Rob’s Soylent?

@Tordenskjold I’m 43, 200lbs, walk a few miles a day but otherwise don’t exercise much, tended to eat around 2,000 calories per day before this, but could’ve been healthier. I eat a lot of Chipotle.

I’m not super high energy usually anyway, but with Soylent, it’s noticeably less, and I don’t feel mentally as sharp either.

@Snowman It’s Rob’s Soylent.

How are you mixing your Soylent? You could try making it thicker or thinner to see if that changes anything.

Official Soylent is not nutritionally complete. It is seriously deficient in sodium, a mineral that often gets a bad rap but is essential for a wide variety of metabolic and neurological processes. Fatigue/tiredness is one of the symptoms of hyponatremia, insufficient sodium.

I wouldn’t call it seriously deficient and only necessary to add more salt (like 1 gram) if you don’t eat anything but soylent.

I read that too (that Soylent is deficient in sodium), but I’m not sure that jibes with sudden tiredness after drinking Soylent. Anyway, I tried adding some salt and it didn’t help.

On the bright side, the effect seems to have lessened this morning. After drinking my Soylent breakfast, I only felt a little fatigued. Hoping it’s a temporary adjustment kind of thing.

It might be an adjustment problem. I felt like crap the first day or two. If it keeps happening past the 3rd day, that’s concerning. Are you experiencing any other problems, besides the tiredness?

Thanks, yeah, hoping that’s it. No other problems besides the tiredness. Today is day 3, so we’ll see.

Are you feeling hungry with Soylent? Or is it satisfying you so far. Perhaps you aren’t taking in enough calories?

do you think it could be a leukocytosis reaction to soylent?

Did you go cold turkey on caffeine? The lack of sharpness and tired feeling are common with caffeine withdrawal.

@livingparadox I’m feeling satisfied, actually. And also, if it was a case of not getting enough calories, you’d think I’d feel a little more energized right after drinking it rather than having a big drop in energy.

@brandons No, I’ve been drinking coffee in the morning same as usual. It helps a little.

@digera I don’t know, I’ve never heard of leukocytosis. I’ll look into it, thanks.

@SoylentIsMe leukocytosis is a surge in white-blood cell (leukocytes) count. It’s theorized (and observable in some experiments) that eating certain foods, particularly heavily processed foods, can cause leukocytosis due to the body seeing the processed foods as a flood of pathogens… In some cases, white blood cells fill the stomach causing bloating, gas, and heartburn/acid reflux… The white blood cells will “aid” in breaking down the substances so that stomach enzymes and intestinal capillaries can retrieve nutrients but in the event of “digestive leukocytosis” (which, by the way, is not very accepted by mainstream medical science, hence the quotes), most nutrients are locked away in quarantine and pooped out.

This is interesting, I think, because every symptom or side effect of soylent described on these forums is a symptom of “digestive leukocytosis.”

The solution/prevention of “digestive leukocytosis” is probiotics. Try mixing in a few heaping scoops of plain whole-milk greek yogurt. I must stress that the yogurt ought to be plain, whole-milk, and greek. Plain, because sweeteners are typically bad for you. Whole-milk because not only are those milk fats essential to the production of high quality probiotics in the yogurt process but the removal of those milk fats is usually a less-than-savory process, and greek because most greek yogurt is produced in a traditional way which requires natural sourcing of the bacterial blend that cultures in the whole milk to make the yogurt… A typical american cheap yogurt will be made with one strain of bacteria in non-fat milk, and then flavored to taste like yogurt (because you really can’t make yogurt without milkfat). My favorite brand of yogurt is fage… it’s harder to find and more expensive but once you try it, you’ll thank me.

If adding salt doesn’t help, you might look into sensitivities to certain additives like vanillin. I just posted about it here:

@digera Thanks, I’ll definitely give that a try!

I’m looking at this article about food allergies causing fatigue: http://www.naturalways.com/toxic-gut.htm

It says, among other things, that eating a lot of refined foods can damage and inflame the gut, which then becomes more porous and allows toxins into the bloodstream. This leads to fatigue and a weakened immune system.

I have no idea how credible this is, or whether certain kinds of refined foods are better than others. It does have me concerned that maybe Soylent is an irritant for me and maybe I just can’t use it.