I feel tired just after drinking Soylent

That looks like a site that is promoting its “healing” and “cleansing” products with the help of an unnamed doctor with one study of around 450 cases. It is likely you could be having a reaction to an ingredient in soylent with the vanillin and sucralose being two that have had issues for others on the forums. Any time you change your diet it can have side effects. This is one of the reasons you will suggestions of starting off slow on numbers of meals replaced, amount to drink per meal and amount of time to drink it over. I hope you are able to determine if is a side effect of the adjustment or a reaction to something in the mix.

1 Like

@brandons Thanks, this makes sense.

If I was going to test whether I’m having a reaction to vanillin and/or sucralose, what would be a good source of those to try? Would something like this work for vanillin?: http://www.amazon.com/Krinos-Vanillin-Powder-gram-Jar/dp/B000LQMXN0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1405452186&sr=8-4&keywords=vanillin

And what about for sucralose?

@SoylentIsMe: You should contact @axcho. He’s been experimenting with these substances to see what bugs him. He’s offered to send some to others that want to get in on the experiment as well.

Hi @axcho. Thanks for the info. I want to test whether I have a sensitivity to vanillin and/or sucralose. Can I just go to the grocery store and get that stuff?

Yep, you can. Don’t just swig a bottle of vanillin or a fistful of Splenda, though, try mixing a Soylent’s worth (of one at a time) in a glass of water. (That’s what axcho’s done.)

Hi @SoylentIsMe, I was not able to find vanillin or sucralose at the store, but you might have better luck. I just ordered them on Amazon (vanillin and sucralose).

I still have a bunch more - I’d be happy to mail you some if you want. Just PM me your address. :wink:

You weren’t able to find Splenda brand sucralose at the store? I’m surprised.

Splenda is not pure sucralose - it’s mostly other stuff.

My husband and I have been drinking Soylent off and on since May. Neither of us are terribly overweight… we could probably stand to trim 10 pounds off. We both exercise regularly, but are not hardcore fitness freaks. We started this out of curiosity, but have enjoyed not spending time shopping, cooking, and cleaning up. What we were both surprised to find was that we maintained high energy throughout our 9 to11-hour workday. I don’t know what the difference could be in the way we are processing the Soylent.

1 Like

@misstrixie That’s awesome. I’m glad to hear some are having success with this.

Just posted in the thread about Soylent side effect experiments. I tried a gram of pure vanillin, and I feel drowsy. I think that’s why I’m having the same reaction to Soylent.

2 Likes

Of course, something else in Soylent could be making you drowsy, but you’re conditioned to the flavor at this point.

I’m not sure what you mean. I haven’t had any Soylent today. Just the vanillin. And on its own, it tastes like a chemical. Pretty disgusting, to be honest.

1 Like

I get this too. I’m going to test the vanillin, but I’m also looking into reactive hypoglycemia since I get this was with some foods other than Soylent. Might be something for others to look into too. Buying a blood sugar test kit for $20 on Amazon.
Reactive hypoglycemia, or postprandial hypoglycemia, is a medical term describing recurrent episodes of symptomatic hypoglycemia occurring within 4 hours[1] after a high carbohydrate meal in people who do not have diabetes.[2] It is thought to represent a consequence of excessive insulin release triggered by the carbohydrate meal but continuing past the digestion and disposal of the glucose derived from the meal.

Soylent often makes me a little bit tired, but I don’t really think anything of it because lots of foods tend to make me tired. Glass of milk? Tired. Turkey? Tired. White Castle cheese burgers and a glass of milk? Very tired. Heavily carby or fatty meal? Tired. I just think of it as a mini food coma. For me it helps if I drink smaller amounts at exact intervals throughout the day, but I’m often not all that concerned about a little tiredness, so I often don’t worry about scheduling my meal times and portions precisely. In fact sometimes I really appreciate it helping me to doze off and if I’m eagerly anticipating the added drowsiness then I might be a bit disappointed if it doesn’t come. It’s not a super reliable effect but it is noticeable.