I just discovered Soylent and willing to try

Just discovered Soylent minutes ago from http://www.medicaldaily.com/soylent-isnt-answer-food-it-brings-some-good-questions-346862

I have always fantasised about a simple, easy to consume, all nutritious, inexpensive, food that’s good for all day. This is pretty close for now. I eat because I have to, not because I want to 90% of the time. Hate to break from an activity to eat high priced crap. Love to find a replacement. Too much fat, salt, sugar in commercial food anyhow. Restaurants not much better.

Does Soylent satisfy hunger urges or are you hungry an hour or two after consuming? Have to research where to buy this next.

Thanks,
Tim

Anyway to try this before starting a full subscription? Do users get hunger urges after consuming? Looking for a quick re-fuel.

Soylent.com is the only place it’s officially sold, you don’t need to buy it with a subscription and it comes in 1-week units. It’s cheaper if you do it subscription though. You can sometimes find resellers on amazon/ebay/etc hocking a few days or a week of an older version.

The hunger aspect is interesting, it’ll remove your hunger which won’t come back quickly, but it won’t give you that slightly bloated “full” feeling. More like it eliminates your hunger than “satisfies” it.

The place to buy is soylent.com or here, where some people are selling their own supplies. Soylent 2.0 has just been announced,and you can buy 12 bottles for $30, but it won’t ship till Oct 15.

I recommend that you preorder 2.0. Go ahead and subscribe, since there is no penalty for subscribing and you can easily stop the subscription whenever you want, and you get the best price by subscribing.

I find Soylent very filling, though not overfull, and many people are used to stuffing themselves.

There are 2 different feelings.

“Hunger” / “Energy”. Soylent does a very good job at this. It’s the more important one.

“Full” / “Mass” Soylent does not do well here. If your used to eating an entire pizza in one sitting, then you’ll have trouble here. Your stomach will eventually shrink, but in the mean time some celery, lettuces, carrots, or the like can provide bulk without calories.

In the beginning first going 100% Soylent diet I had some hunger issues. About a week into it those went away. And it’s less a fullness than it is being satisfied. After my Soylent I feel that I could eat more, but I don’t necessarily want to eat more, if that makes sense. I’d never had that sort of eating satisfaction before Soylent as I would gorge myself nonstop. In contrast to your not exactly wanting to eat @timot, I am the type that would never stop eating if able. Compulsive eater, I suppose you would say. Soylent satisfies my urges for food perfectly well. I’ve been just Soylent since ~March. Well, with one or two special occasions dinners. But on the whole only Soylent for many months. And my hunger is satisfied on a daily basis.

I’ve been reading about Soylent. Trying to figure it out. It’s not a complete replacement for traditional food. Could be a substitution for a single meal.

Not looking to make a religious or political statement. Not trying to go on diet. Looking for a fast substitute to a regular meal when I’m busy and want an “inflight refueling”.

Im trying to figure out its design purpose. Why do most people gravitate to Soylent? Is it practical or a fashion statement?

It can be, and for many it is.

For me, it’s a replacement for unhealthy food - that includes poorly balanced meals I “prepare” (ie microwaved frozen food) at home and fast food meals I eat out. Soylent being cheap and easy are bonuses too!

It replaces takeout and left over takeout in my diet. When I take it to work, which is irregular, I just tell people it’s a protein shake and no one has had a problem with that. It’s been beneficial to me in cost, health, and convenience.

I’ve been off the Soylent train for a while, but the appeal to me was the convenience while being nutritious. I only got a week’s supply and stretched it out for almost 2 weeks, as I would still eat a normal dinner. I later tried some DIY soylent, which was a hassle to mix up every few days (though in other ways easier than preparing X number of meals). I would like to get back on the DIY soylent at some point.

It’s not yet a fashion statement. It could become part of the new minimalism, I suppose, with few possessions (no kitchen!) and small houses and maybe a nomadic existence.

But for me it represents a solution to a dietary problem – there are so many dietary recommendations, and considering the common problem of obesity, most of them don’t work. So the idea is to find one simple food choice and stick to it. Soylent works for me.

It’s not a meal replacement, per say. It’s just a different food. Calling it a meal replacement would be like calling a burger a meal replacement for a hotdog. They’re just food. So don’t think of it as replacing a meal think of it as eating this instead of that. Like instead of going for a pizza you choose a healthier alternative like a salad. Soylent is the same way. It strives to have a complete nutrition profile so you can get all nutrients the average adult needs which you wouldn’t normally get from a traditional diet. That’s its benefit to me, why I gravitated towards it.

Another big selling point for me is the calories. Something like Soylent is easier to count and maintain calories on. Eating other healthy foods like chicken breast and veggies is harder to count for. No two chicken breasts are the same and contain different amounts of calories. Soylent makes it easier to count, less guess work. Two different scoops of Soylent should be the same amount of calories and nutrients.

So I suppose you could say I gravitated towards Soylent for its practicality and ease of diet maintenance.

The cut back on dishes and spending doesn’t hurt either.

I dont need to feel stuffed. I would be happy with an afternoon meal substitute that kills hunger but provides energy and nutrition.