I just had horrible gas for 24-36 hours

I just had horrible gas for 24-36 hours. Bloating, bathroom visits, LOTS of gas.

Oh, I’m not actually on Soylent. On Monday, for lunch, I had a Factory Chopped Salad with Chicken from Cheesecake Factory. Ate the whole (huge) salad in one sitting. I didn’t have dessert or anything crazy, so this salad was actually probably the healthiest meal I’ve had in weeks. I don’t normally have anywhere near that much fiber.

My tract was not ready for the fiber onslaught.

Just saying, gas problems on a dietary change are not unique to Soylent.

(Still looking forward to my soylent.)

Rosa labs resorting to propaganda posts now?

Rosa Labs barely talks under their own name, right now. Do you really think they’re posting under fake accounts?

You may try some non-gas formulas at DIY-soylent Marketplace.

How it feels - you may read in this post.

Theres less fibre in Soylent than my regular diet yet Soylent gives me way more gas. Fibre has already been ruled out by many of us as the source of gas from Soylent. Brown rice protein seems like the most likely candidate but it could be the oat flour or something else in there.

We use Rice flour instead of Oats.

No. I’m just another person.

Are you resorting to conspiracy theory to rationalize your own beliefs?

Yeah, I’m tweaking my own DIY soylent, and considering a mix of sprouted rice flour with the other carb sources. I don’t want to drop the oat flour entirely, because rice is very low in soluble fiber. I don’t want to resort to Psyllium unless I have to, but ideally, half the fiber would be soluble.

I haven’t done a production run, yet, and I’m considering ordering some of your soylent. Thanks for sharing your recipes and research, as well as offering it for sale.

(I cancelled my Soylent order on Monday, knowing it was still 12 weeks out from delivery.)

[quote=“Predator, post:5, topic:14697, full:true”]
Theres less fibre in Soylent than my regular diet yet Soylent gives me way more gas. Fibre has already been ruled out by many of us as the source of gas from Soylent.[/quote]

Ruling fiber in or out is not so simple, because it may be a compound problem. Insoluble fiber can provide a substrate for bacteria to colonize - bacteria which consume something else.

I, for example, am a touch lactose intolerant, and I don’t get much dairy. So if I have an ice cream or a lot of raw cheese, I’ll get some gas and the runs. I also don’t get a ton of fiber, so having a big salad can give me the runs. I can consume a lot of psyllium husk with no problems - even getting more fiber than the salad - but the salad is fiber WITH yummy green stuff that bacteria enjoy.

The Chopped Salad I had, however, had a generous amount of bleu cheese as well as a ton of chopped greens. The fiber provided a growing medium for the bacteria, who went to town on the lactose and other yummy ingredients of the salad, and hooboy did I have a day on Tuesday.

What I’m getting at is the fact that oat fiber doesn’t set you off when you have simple oatmeal is not proof that they’re not part of the problem for you in Soylent… and the fact that you can have a glass of fiber drink with psyllium husk with no problem doesn’t mean it doesn’t cause a problem when combined with other ingredients in Soylent.

It’s a very difficult problem to solve with a reductionist approach, because the whole recipe matters… Is this ingredient the problem? Is that ingredient the problem? Or are they only a problem together with a third ingredient that seemed innocent?

There’s also a difference in fibers. Psyllium husk is primarily soluble fiber, which slows down digestion and helps it stay solid. Insoluble fiber speeds things up (and liquified my excrete).

Since starting Soylent, I’ve learned nutrition is hard @_@

Good point, it could be certain ingredients which are fine on there own but when combined…

So which company did you get your tinfoil hat from?

Brilliant! …!!!

@MentalNomad, FYI: we get enough fiber from seeds - since we based our formula on it.

I understand, but I’m focusing on soluble fiber, here.

Your recipe is based on whole flax seeds and hemp hearts.

Flax seeds are a good source of soluble fiber, but unless you chew them thoroughly, they pass through the system undigested, so most of their nutritional value is missed, including all of the soluble fiber. I supposed this is fine for those who like to chew the seeds.

Hemp hearts have no hulls, so their soluble fiber is more available, but hemp seeds are quite low in soluble fiber, to start with.

Oats and psyllium husk are good sources of soluble fiber - and so are things like chia seeds, greens and fruits. Wheat and rice and most grains are quite low in soluble fiber - oats are an exception, barley has a bit.

One thing to bear in mind is preparation - a recipe that is high in soluble fiber will have a tendency to thicken up over time after being mixed with water - because the soluble fiber absorbs the water and swells up.

Thank you @MentalNomad for such a detailed explanation for readers.
FYI: in 100%FOOD we use grinded flaxseed for better digestion of nutrients and soluble fibre as well.

Thanks for that additional information - but now I have a question. I’ve heard people talk about (and I think you posted about) chewing on the seeds in the mix. I see your recipe include flax seeds, hulled hemp seeds, and hulled sesame, right?

Which ones do you grind, and which are left whole?

I’m leaning more and more towards buying your mix instead of making my own, even though I’d have to consume about 4.5 bottles a day because of my size.

@MentalNomad - we grind Flaxseed.
Hemp and Sesame are left whole.

Regarding the volume - you can easily adjust the number of 650 cal bottles according to your daily intake, or take 850 cal bottles from Active Man Set.

Thanks, but although I try to exercise a couple of times a week, my calorie needs don’t come from being excessively active. I’m just an unusually large person. My resting metabolic rate is about 2000 calories. So I don’t need extra calories because of exercise; I need more nutrients because there’s more of me.

I suspect I should stick with 4+ bottles of regular formula to hit my 2800/2900 calories.

Do you have a nutrient breakdown for the Active Man formula posted somewhere?

Active Man formula = 2000 cal diet scaled up to 2500 cal