I made a Soylent presentation

There’s an event at where I live hosted by students called the Waterloo Learning Night where students present about whatever they’re interested in. At a recent night, I made a 10-minute presentation on the idea and the product of Soylent to about 30 attendees. Note that the presentation is quite cynical, since Soylent is something I’m quite enthusiastic about, so naturally I have to approach it with the utmost cynicism.

Before the presentation, I gave out free samples of Soylent. Despite being mixed and refrigerated, 75% of people said the taste and texture of Soylent made it so that they would never consume it again. 25% of people thought Soylent was incredibly cool and would be buying some once the price dropped a bit more.

A qualm that I was unprepared to respond to was that most women in attendance felt it was too much food and they didn’t know if reducing the amount of Soylent would affect them adversely or not. I should have researched this before presenting.

Feedback on this presentation and facts that I missed out on would be appreciated.

For smaller people (women), who don’t want 2000 calories, they can just consume less. Conversely, large people can consume more. The amount of nutrients you need are proportional to your size, so no extra adjustments needed.

While there are inter-personal variances, it’s still likely still healthier for you then your current diet. Or simply eat something else in addition to soylent. It’s not all or nothing, it can be just part of your diet. Also, they mentioned making a male/female versions sometime in the future, which is probably as close as you can get without directly customizing each order for each customer.

Nutritional unknowns (photochemicals, ect…), can be added into future versions as research develops. Or again, simply mix in some blueberries.

I’ve heard this on the forums here, and I’m sure it’s true, but is there a source anywhere that describes it in more detail?

I’m sure that recommended daily levels are fairly vague anyway, so the % recommendation is likely to be at least a bit inaccurate when applied to any given individual, but is there a source (preferably from the people who publish the recommendations) that describes the potential individual variance in more detail?

I’ve also seen it on the forums here, but I’ve also read here that it only applies to macro-nutrients (carbs, fat, protein) and not the micro-nutrients (all the vitamins and minerals, basically.)

Until I know which one is true, I’m leaning toward the latter, more conservative, idea. But it would be fantastic if I could use capital-S Soylent without the need to supplement it.

The Institute of Medicine and the World Health Organization recommend variable dosages (e.g., mg/kg body weight/day) of many micronutrients for infants only. The recommended dosages for other life states are fixed (e.g., mg/day).

The preponderance of evidence seems to indicate that, in general, dietary intake of micronutrients is better expressed as a fixed dosage rather than a variable dosage. See

Anderson, S.H., C.A. Vickery, and A.D. Nicol. 1986. Adult thiamine requirements and the continuing need to fortify processed cereals. Lancet 2:85-89

for just one example.

There is an acceptable range of oral intake for children and adults of micronutrients for normal homeostasis. Micronutrient intake outside of that range incurs a cumulative risk of deficiency/toxicity. It appears that “sole-sourcing” Soylent for other than a 2000 kcal/day diet can incur a cumulative deficiency/toxicity risk.

Over doing nutrients with full soylent + regular dinner?
Argument pro Soylent Nutrition

Your probably right about the micro-nutrition.

However, if you compare anything to perfection, it’s going to fall short. Instead compare it to how people usually eat. Do you know how many micro-nutrients are in your hamburger? Do you track how much iron and magnesium you got throughout the day? Does eating an extra tomato give you 100% vitamin A, but over shoots your vitamin C? Is that grapefruit larger or smaller then normal?

Unless you carefully weigh and measure all the ingredients (and there’s a site for DIY), you not really going to do better. Until we can stick your finger in a sensor and have a machine mixes up a perfectly customized meal, you aren’t going to get anything as nutritious anywhere nearly as convenient then soylent (or it’s competitors).

Taste however… well, again, can’t expect perfection.

@seanaubin – Awesome presentation! You cover pretty much everything that I went through in my thoughts, research, and discussions with people when learning about and considering Soylent.

I only disagree with slide 1 & 4. I think its 60% hype, 40% awesome. :smiley:

And it is actually no longer the only such product shipping to Canada. I was actually just discussing http://Biolent.ca in another thread, a Canadian DIY Soylent variation:
http://discourse.soylent.me/t/anyone-pooling-orders-to-save-on-shipping-to-canada/23110/4?u=foodinapill

PS – I’m not affiliated with Biolent, not trying to make a sales pitch. :slight_smile: I just think it’s good to know about and have a variety of products – Soylent, Biolent, Schmoylent, Joylent, 100% Food, Meal Squares, etc – as no one formula can be perfect for everyone.

Hope you got that eye infection under control. (last slide)

I shared this with the office. :smile:

Yeah, that was first year of my undergrad. Had to kill it with intra-venous anti-biotics.

This is quite flattering. I hope they understand my perspective as being optimistic towards the future.

Nice presentation! Good work!