I really love that Soylent 2.0 will be vegan too

I ate at In-N-Out Burger today like I do from time to time. I try to not eat too much beef, and get a lot of my protein from eating chicken. I drink a lot of milk. Every time I eat/drink any of these foods there is a bit of guilt knowing that I’m supporting a not very compassionate farming industry. The treatment of cows troubles me more than chickens, but both bother me. I’m really hoping 2.0 is easy to digest. Every calorie I get from 2.0 will likely be one less calorie I’ll be getting from less desirable sources. Bring on the 2.0!!!

You don’t worry about the mistreatment of plants? Plants have feelings too…maybe.

I appreciate the fact that its vegan as well but for an entirely different reason. Animals are inefficient. When I was doing a school project that focused on designing a sustainable island more land was devoted to growing food for livestock than growing food for humans!

Efficiency isn’t just about land though it can be usage of time, money, water consumption, ect. In California we are experiencing a drought and most of our water consumption is from agriculture. If we depended on more efficient food sources(I know almonds are commonly brought up as water hogs) the water situation would be a little better.

On the topic of efficiency I think you will be happy to know that the feed conversion ratio for chickens is better than cows.

This, this is the proper reason to prefer a more (not strictly) vegan diet. I personally like the fact that Soylent is trying to be efficient and if that efficiency is achieved with a non animal based source for its ingredients then that is OK. At the point where they choose a more expensive or less efficient path just to appease the vegan/kosher or other non-medically based food restrictive groups, I will have a problem with it.

BTW, is algae considered strictly a plant, in terms of veganism? There are sources that seem to consider them both plant and animal or simply not plant. Since the word algae covers several unrelated organisms, is it possible that Soylent may not be strictly vegan?

Eh, you’re entering into the territory of crazy vegans – those people refuse to drink beer because of the poor yeast.

:confused:

Or Blueberries, Almonds or Honey because the bees did what they do naturally and we are exploiting the bee’s hard work

Yeast is a fungus, not an animal. Nutritional yeast is actually a popular vegan condiment. Some vegans do not eat honey because it is made by bees; that’s my favorite crazy vegan example.

I’m not aware of any algae that are animals. I googled a bit and it seems like algae (and fungi!) were once all considered plants, but apparently they are classified separately now. Except green algae, which is still a plant? So that’s confusing.

If you look obsessively close at any food product you will find some animal somewhere coming to some kind of harm. So in that sense no food is strictly vegan. You have to draw a line somewhere. For me it’s having a nervous system. (I am not actually a vegan)

Thanks for bringing this up. Yes, farming animals is very inefficient. Another point is the “greenhouse gas” that gets released by the cows. Methane is really bad for global warming and cows produce tons of it.

Aren’t some food dyes made from bugs? And gelatin from collagen from animal bone and skin? Many ingredients you wouldn’t think would be non-vegan but those dairy-free red and green christmas cookies may not be your trusted vegan holiday treat like you once thought.

Oh yeah they try to sneak animal bits in where you wouldn’t expect them to. Some brands of sugar use charcoal from animal bones in the bleaching process. But to consider something not vegan enough just because it uses single cell life forms is just silly to me.

I dig being vegan… when I don’t actually have to put in any extra effort or do anything differently in order to make it happen!

Although I did have coffee creamer today, so there goes my vegan superpowers and membership card!

BTW, this was an interesting article: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2010/04/consider_the_oyster.html

Algae doesn’t have a central nervous system, thus it is incapable of suffering.
Veganism is a dietary choice with the aim of reducing suffering.

Therefore, vegans, feel free to use or abuse algae in any manner you see fit.

I think you may have heard this from a troll, rather than a vegan.

In the rare instance that a beer isn’t vegan, it’s generally because the brewer has used the traditional British method of filtering (fish guts), rather than chill-filtering.

Actually beer is most often non-vegan because of lactose or honey. While yes some brewers do use Isinglass (fish guts) all the ones I’ve seen, which is by no means all of them, use Irish moss which is a seaweed.