I really want to try a DIY mix. . . A hangup, though

I really want to try a DIY mix. But there’s a little bit of a hangup. I look at all of these recipes which are popular, but I want to know what’s going where and what’s effecting my body. In the end, I’m responsible for what happens to me, because I just blindly trusted something I read about on the internet.

I really do want to try the original, but wow-ee, that crap is expensive. I can’t touch it until it goes down in price.

So. This being said, where the hell do I start? There just seems so much that goes in all of these recipes, it almost feels overwhelming.

Ideally, I’d like to make this most of what I eat, but I know I’ll be supplementing with outside food. You can’t make me give up my delicious apples, bananas, cucumbers, and slew of other fruits and veggies. And even Rob said that wasn’t the goal!

So how do I go about deciding values, finding numbers? Tweaking the recipe? How do I not poison myself or cause myself bodily harm?

Boop.

Thanks! I feel like I’m a little frazzled because my friend and I were having a very in-depth conversation about the benefits and cons about a soylent diet.

He’s of the mindset that without proper testing and experimentation and FDA approval, it could potentially be deadly.

I agreed, but said that people have been doing their own nutrition work for years and nobody has died unless they OD’s on something. So, with that being said, I was just looking for a “how the hell do I know how many nutrients I need? What do I need? How do I get it?”

It all kind of feels a little overwhelming, though. :c

All that being said, please remember that time=money. I’m not sure what your current food budget is, but official Soylent really isn’t that expensive compared to most normal foods. With DIY you will be saving some money, but you’ll be spending time on mixing, measuring, prep, etc.

I’m not too concerned with the time aspect. I wake up early, I go to bed, I always have time to make food. But the foods I enjoy making can take hours to prepare. I know a recipe for lasagna that takes ~2 hrs to prepare and it has to sit in the fridge overnight. While delicious, it’s incredibly calorie and carb heavy.

I also know how to make a chocolate cappuccino cheesecake infused with kahula and topped with a homemade whip also infused with kahula. That takes about two days.

So I know that even if it took me about an hour, it would severely cut down on the time I take to make food normally!

Lately all I’ve been doing is a sandwich with sriarchia sauce and some meat. Talk about boring. I’ve been doing that for months now, actually. It’s gotten so bad that most days I just head out the door with some applesauce because I couldn’t be bothered to make lunch.

So cooking, mixing, and prepping don’t scare me! I was born into it! I didn’t see packaged foods until I was a grown woman and living with someone that that was all they ate.

But the cost breakdown is cheaper = better. My car needs more money than I do.

If you think the official Soylent is expensive, try buying the initial batch of ingredients for most recipes.

It is not uncommon to invest over $200 to get started, although the cost per day is typically cheaper than the official Soylent.

Then again if you buy as much as possible on Amazon and have a Prime membership, that helps. I would not be surprised if shipping costs were a significant portion of the official Soylent. I know that businesses which ship a lot get discounts from the major carriers but it is still significant. With Prime, you have a fixed shipping cost per year regardless of how much you buy.

You did not just call Sriracha boring. This is the same sauce that is so awesome, it has its own t-shirt and The Oatmeal has an entire section of his store dedicated to it.

Oh, don’t tell me Sriarchia is boring. I freaking love that stuff more than a duck loves a june bug. I own that shirt. It practically goes into everything I eat - ramen, toppers on sandwiches, boxed ramen, chicken noodle soup - if I can put sriarchia on it, you bet your ass I will.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Yes, but ultimately, until the official mix goes down, the DIY stuff will be cheaper. And in the end, it works out cheaper. I don’t mind so much that the start-up cost is expensive (everything is, isn’t it?) but I’m prepared for that. I work for a grocery store, so I can discounts on this and that, and I coupon stack with them, so I can shave off a buck here and there.

That’s primarily why I’m interested in making my own mix, because I know I can get a discount where I work on anything privately-labelled. I work at Fred Meyer’s, so supplements, and anything labeled “Private Selection / Kroger” I can get a discount on.

If I pick it up after work. . . Even better for me!

@Spaceman: It’s not so much trying it - I’m all for just jumping into it - than actually building my own recipe // tweaking the recipes of others. I’m still trying to just wrap my head around how to go about it, basically.

Good luck in your adventure, @LowfoamLatte

@Spaceman: thanks! I’ll probably be posting up a prototype recipe sometime or another.

Ask your friend where all the documentation of the proper testing, experimentation, and FDA approval is for McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc. :wink: Asking about testing and certification is common for people unfamiliar with Soylent. They don’t seem to realize that most of what they eat now goes through no real testing or certification process, and most of the nation (I’m in the US, unsure about you) lives off food that is far less nutritionally complete than Soylent.

Here’s the nutrition label for official Soylent:

Note: It says “Contains: Fish, Soy”, but the only fish in it is fish oil for Omega fatty acids, and the only soy in it is soy lecithin (an emulsifier).

The DIY site shows the nutritional breakdown of your ingredients so you can make sure you’re not going well over or under on a particular nutrient. There’s a nutrient calculator to help you determine what your nutritional requirements are, and there are over 1,000 recipes. Some just try to be the cheapest, but I’d recommend that you start with the community favorites, find one that looks like it will work for you, and adjust it to meet your dietary needs.

Oh, you don’t have to tell me twice. I was more than happy to say that people who are self-learned should be as credited as people with degrees. I know there are some hangups every now and then, but that’s okay, it happens. But self-learned sources can be just as credible.

I like soylent as a food alt because it is healthy in the fact that it’s what our body needs, not what we shove into it/are led to believe.

I tried using the nutrient calculator, but because I haven’t gotten the activation email, I’m not fully “signed in.” I used my gmail to sign myself in. I’ve had the activation email sent about 5 times and still nothing on two separate accounts, so I don’t get to use the whole one.

But I’m starting to break down RDI intake for women, and I’ll be looking at some of the recipes and mixing and matching.

I feel like Frankenstein.

Hmmm. Tell me about the car, sounds like there’s a story there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing much to tell. Same story that everyone else has.

Gas prices aren’t getting any cheaper, bills aren’t going down any!

This.

There are some common practices for measuring nutrients in food, but surprisingly, the FDA does not require specific tests. It also only requires certain nutrients (macro and micro) to appear on the nutrition label. Manufacturers may include additional nutrients and often do, especially if they advertise that their food is “high in X” or “low in Y” but surprisingly little is mandated by the FDA. That being said, the FDA does require some measure of accuracy in what appears on the label, and there is some wiggle room especially for restaurant food where preparation may vary (even fast food falls into this category).

There was a 60 Minutes special I remember from a year or so ago that was actually really good. It talked about testing food products, how it is done, and what the FDA requires. They even tested some food at an FDA-certified laboratory. It was very thorough and educational, unfortunately I cannot find a link anywhere.

Welcome to DIY! Once you work out a recipe feel free to post a link and I’m sure you’ll get some good feedback. Now, as far as being able to work on a recipe…

Paging @NickP, may help. He is the awesome one that created and maintains the DIY site.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/withmilk

Tasty, only costs $70 to start up, and is easy as heck to mix. This is from a reddit recipe, that I’ve adjusted (the Target vegetable oil is pure soybean oil) and I changed the milk to exactly 1 cup. This is the best tasting and easiest recipe I’ve found so far. The ~$2.50 per day price tag is also pretty nice.

You’ll need a kitchen scale that measures in grams, a blender (or blender bottle) and a container to keep your daily portions in. It’s got a neutral oaty flavor, and you can mix in just about anything for flavor (although I’d avoid sriracha if I were you.)

Welcome to diy!