I Waited Five Months for My Soylent and Now I Can’t Get Rid of It

I Waited Five Months for My Soylent and Now I Can’t Get Rid of It

Everyone who is waiting for their first shipment of Soylent should email/tweet this person asking if they can buy it.

@adrjeffries on twitter.

Some of this may be due to the Great Soylent Disillusionment; the slow realization that what was sold as a life-changing, potentially world-changing substance is really nothing more than Ensure with different marketing.

“I have to say it was not life changing as many have suggested,” one user wrote. There were none of the miraculous effects people have described, such as greater energy and clear skin. It didn’t save much time, because it took longer to drink than it would have taken to prepare and eat breakfast or lunch. The only noticeable benefit was having fewer dirty dishes to clean. “To those people pining for their first shipment of Soylent, I say temper your expectations.”

Edit: @qgroff is correct. This article is just click bate. The best response is probably none at all.

From an hour after she posted the story:

[quote]Adrianne Jeffries
Verified account
‏@adrjeffries
why is no one yelling at me about my soylent story[/quote]

Don’t feed the trolls. Better yet, don’t feed vice.com at all. Rarely do I find an article on there that’s worth anything, or a writer who isn’t a hack.

I discovered Soylent via Vice via Facebook. I’m one of the people that reads the stories and doesn’t respond with a comment calling the author or the discussed group a waste of time/space. It’s definitely not a site for everyone though.

Also, is that guy this guy?

I think she was just quoting that post. And I’m glad some people get something good out of it, but it’s rare that I see any articles there that don’t serve to make me at least mildly annoyed, either due to viewpoint on a topic or journalistic style (or both). I click through when I see them posted on Facebook and almost always end up feeling like I should have known better. I’m just sharing my opinion.

I didn’t mean to say you were necessarily insulting people. I was kinda going off on the commenters on their articles. Comments sections have just gotten to me recently in general.

Heh… I do the same thing there as links to Vice articles. I know I should never read the comments section but I do it anyway and I’m usually sad I did.

Yes that is my quote. I’m not bashing Soylent, not completely anyways, but I do think the hype is/was a bit out of control and that the market for this product may be smaller than any of us or them realized.

I imagine the effects differ greatly from person to person. For people who struggle with eating healthy, are addicted to eating out, or dieting, than I believe Soylent is great. I just recently got my own shipment so I’ll have to see if it addresses some of my issues (job anxiety, sleeplessness, etc.) but it’s certainly going to be better than those Egg McMuffins I normally eat prior to work on weekends.By far, Soylent is going to be an incredible dieting tool and probably one of the biggest bases out there.

For me, it’s also going to be a huge money saver. Enough to lease an electric car, or about half of my total mortgage/housing payments. The last time I ate on a budget this small I was sniping sales at the local grocer for things like donuts and apple turnovers, while eating at Subway for most weekdays. Hopefully economy of scale will bring the price down to a much lower level, too, as DIYers can get by on $3-4 a day for a Soylent-like product.

Aside from the name, I believe the Rosa Labs product is better than Ensure. Rosa Labs product has a proportional amount of vitamins and minerals. If I try to live on Ensure, I’d get an overdose of vitamins and minerals.

And lots of sugars.

Yep, and this product (with some tweaks) is on the path to changing the world and life IMHO, its just some people expected it to happen immediately and the issues that soylent must have given them must have annoyed them even more (presumably).

Even most people who eat healthy all three times dont get the right ‘balance’ of all nutrients in my opinion or atleast as well as soylent. This can make a difference to their lives as well.

Typical nay-saying and lies. Comparing Soylent to Ensure is ridiculous. And every kickstarter every has been late- spinning up a business is hard no amount of money will let you scale overnight. Yes, Soylent is NOT going to solve all your problems. It’s food- not magic. These sorts of critics (and there are lots!) have already made up their minds. In the words of Henry Ford: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

What makes us (Soylenteers?) different is an open mind and optimism for science. I mean, do you really expect Vice to give Soylent a good review? Vice is far too hip to condone in such try-too-hard-ism.

Which part are you seeing as lies? I read the article, and nothing jumped out at me as particularly inflaming or significant. Or inherently fact-based, for that matter. Seems like an opinion piece.

The part about people on Craigslist offering it for free are lies.

I actually went and checked, because you’re still seeing it sell for $100 a week on eBay.

The article only cites one person giving it away free, specifically on the Dallas Craigslist. While the ad for that has expired on Craigslist, Google still has the first few lines cached from their last crawl. You can read that it is, in fact, completely true. Just Google the original Craigslist URL for the ad: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/zip/4666484062.html (Which is the URL that the author has linked in the article.)

Right, the article cites one person giving it away free in the country. This was a New York person searching Craigslist, and the Dallas seller just popped up? Try to make that happen on Craigslist.

And they left the impression that many people were selling at discounts to retail. Also not true.

Right now, searching in the NY metro area and surrounds, I see one (1) Soylent seller… offering a single day for $15. Or a week for $100. Non-negotiable. The impression the author gave - “I can’t get rid of it” - is a lie.

So, um, you call one thing a lie, I show that it isn’t, so you call something else a lie? She writes a column online – of course she’s going to use attention-grabbing language. Rosa Labs starts this entire website with the words “what if you never had to worry about food again”. But lots of people haven’t received their orders yet, or have had worrisome issues with ingredients or gas or headaches. I don’t see you calling Rosa Labs liars. And that’s because they aren’t either!

I really don’t understand the need to rip this article apart. It’s not inflammatory. It’s not a smear. And it isn’t untrue. It’s one person’s experience. Let her have her experience, and you have yours. Her experience and opinion won’t keep you from having yours if you don’t let it.

You showed that it isn’t a lie, and I conceded that by saying, “Right, the article cites one person giving it away free in the country.” You are correct. I was wrong. I admitted my mistake.

But yes, I support my overall judgment of it being false. Because while I was wrong in using a word that indicated a plural where she cited one instance of that specific thing, my overall feeling of “this isn’t true” was based on carefully picking out the thrust of her piece by reading her title. “I can’t get rid of it.” And it’s bunk.

When there’s an active secondary market for months at inflated prices which get people riled up and complaining here on the forums, and then an article pops up saying they “can’t get rid of it,” even citing someone dumping a month’s worth on Craigslist, I’m allowed to call out the nonsense.

I feel that it is inflammatory, and I feel that it is a smear. And it is untrue.

Thanks for inviting me to have my experience; I’m having my experience right here. Someone here in our Soylent Discourse community posted a link to her piece; doing this invite response and opinion. I responded with my opinion.

I don’t see why you think I’m not allowing her to have her experience - I didn’t take action against motherboard.vice.com or go attack her in the comments under the article or go look for her in the communities where she hangs out.

I don’t think you understand what “rip apart” means, to most people.