Ideas for offsetting pea protein flavor?

Today is my first try with the rice chow recipe I made. The pea protein is overwhelming. It is very earthy and not very pleasant. It doesn’t produce the gag reflex, but it really needs some help. I tried vanilla extract & stevia, then i added cocoa when that didn’t work. The pea protein still comes through very strongly.

I’ve ordered some rice protein with chocolate to offset it a little more but who knows.

I was thinking about liquid smoke and other herbs and spices that go into a pea soup. Maybe the savory path would be better.

Has anyone else successfully make pea protein work so you wouldn’t mind consuming it long term? I want to consume this 1 out of 3 days.

I’ve experienced the same problem with pea protein. Curious to hear if anyone has solutions. :stuck_out_tongue:

I add it my oat-based porridge along with cocoa and sugar and some cinnamon. It’s got a slightly funky smell when I first make it, but I’m not noticing it so much when I eat it. I only get half the protein from this. Are you maybe trying to get 100% or otherwise too much of your protein from pea?

This first recipe uses only pea protein as the primary source. There is protein from the rice flour and a little from the wheat bran and vitamin source: http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/rice-chow-14-mens-quick-weight-loss

However, I’ve ordered some rice protein and rice bran for the next try. I found on this forum a link to another forum regarding the amino acid profile. My calculations seemed to indicate that my recipe as it is now has enough of each essential amino acid ( http://discourse.soylent.me/t/rice-chow-1-4-look-okay/20073/5 ) but this link says we want a ratio of 70/30 pea/rice so I’ll modify for that next: http://forums.truenutrition.com/forum/supplement-forum/proteins/7268-?38706-I-did-some-math-to-find-the-PDCAAS-optimal-blend-of-hemp-pea-rice-and-soy-protein=

They don’t analyse oats, but:

looks like oats are nearly as good as soy in terms of balance.

Oats are also dirt-cheap.

This is going to be the opposite of helpful but I’d also like to chime in that I tried pea protein in smoothies pre-Soylent. I tried covering the flavor with cocoa, peanut butter, banana, and sucralose to no effect. I even added a bunch of honey when none of that worked.

As a rule I don’t throw out food but I felt like I needed to protect other people from that awful flavor. Never again. Never forget.

The main problem with pea protein is the bitterness, not necessarily the flavor. The trick, in my experience, was to add sucralose (I added 7 packs of Splenda per pitcher). This was back when I was adding pea protein to official 1.1. I also added cinnamon to taste.

If its anything like split peas… You could try adding chunks of ham? =)

or bacon… always add bacon…

I don’t have a recipe, and I haven’t tried it, but you ought to be able to go with a veggy curry-type flavor, maybe add a little dried fruit, and some curry powder.

that does sound good. I instantly thought of it poured over rice, and then remembered you have rice already in it! hahahahahaha.

I suppose you could try doing that, split it into two portions, flavour one, and pour it on the other.

Okay, I tried the curry, and it made it much better. But still, I don’t look forward to it so that isn’t much of a long term success.

The liquid smoke and pea soup herbs was a big failure! I probably put too much liquid smoke in to be fair though.

3 years later, but I found the solution – coconut water!

Not sure for food… but here’s my delicious smoothie recipe:

• 1 scoop unflavored pea protein
  • 1 banana
  • 2 tbsp almond butter (extra protein, add more to mask flavor even more)
  • 3 ice cubes
  • 1 cup soy milk (extra protein, and I usually use unflavored, but the chocolate kind can give it a little something extra… I’m vegan, so use regular milk if you’d rather)
  • 1 tbsp flax seed

Blend and enjoy. Took me a while to get this recipe just right… adjust as needed. I couldn’t stand pea protein the first time I had it, but this fixed it up.