I'm gagging whenever I drink my Soylent 1.2. Help!

I’ve been trying to drink my Soylent 1.2 for the past few days and I’ve been having trouble keeping it down or just drinking it at all. I’m a super taster and at some level it just feels unpleasant (the grittiness doesn’t help either) and it has way too many confusing flavours within it that just make me gag. I haven’t had luck so far flavouring it with cinnamon as per the official thread… That just made me throw up, sadly.

I still believe that Soylent is right for me, but I’d really like some help to prepare it in such a way that I actually want to drink it and find it pleasurable. How can I do that?

A few questions?
Is this your first batch of Soylent? How did you prepare it? How much water did you use? Have you tried blender to obtain a smoother texture? What specific taste are you getting that is unpleasant? Did you add any salt? If so how much? Have you tried other flavorings like cocoa powder or peanut butter? Can you describe the taste you are experiencing? Sweet, bitter,salty,sour?
All this may be helpful in nailing down a specific issue you may be having.

Also, did you let it sit in the refrigerator overnight before adding the oil? That definitely helps with the grittiness.

If the bags you received have the serial/batch number of M14302P01 10.15 that is probably why it tastes so bad.

I ordered a month supply of Soylent 1.2 and half the order had that batch number. Something went wrong at the factory because it tastes disgusting.

Regular Soylent actually tastes quite pleasant and also has a pleasant aroma. I personally think it tastes faintly of mocha. The nasty stuff tastes like burnt hair and bugs.

Is this your first batch of Soylent?

Yes.

How did you prepare it?

In a blender according to the instructions - 1.6 litres of water (mineral water) at room temperature along with the oil.

I then waited a few hours to overnight before consuming it.

Have you tried blender to obtain a smoother texture?

Yes, but I can still sense the grittiness of it.

What specific taste are you getting that is unpleasant?

I can sense everything in it and it’s hard to describe what’s making me gag, but it’s almost like it’s not well put together?

It’s hard to put it into words, but I’ll try to do so. So at first the smell is pleasant, but it’s almost as if it’s hiding something and then when you start drinking it - it starts sweet in a musky, earthy way (don’t really have a word for it) but it’s almost as if it’s masking these really metallic set of flavours that make me gag when I try to drink them. Does that make any sense?

I unfortunately have the same affliction when I drink cocktails. What’s good for most people has hints of bitterness or what not for me, which is why I can’t drink sadly. It’s the curse of being a super taster.

Have you tried other flavorings like cocoa powder or peanut butter? Can you describe the taste you are experiencing? Sweet, bitter,salty,sour?

Cinnamon? It didn’t go so well. Made me gag even more. Although that might have more to do with the quantity of cinnamon I use as opposed to the Soylent itself.

I tried above.

Also, did you let it sit in the refrigerator overnight before adding the oil? That definitely helps with the grittiness.

Nope! I’ll do it with this batch. Thanks!

If the bags you received have the serial/batch number of M14302P01 10.15 that is probably why it tastes so bad.

The batch isn’t bad. The problem is just that I’m a super taster.

In thinking about this, it actually seems to me that Soylent could be very poorly suited for supertasters, specifically because it has been designed to be so “nondescript”. What comes across as “neutral” to those of us with a normal palette, I can easily see being an overwhelming and confusing array of conflicting tastes to someone like yourself. This is because in fact, just as you state… Soylent really is “hiding something”. There are many nasty tasting compounds in Soylent that needed to be balanced out by something else in order to be palatable. Most of us obviously can’t discern the individual tastes the way you can, and so it’s fine for us… but I’m not sure it would ever work for you by the very nature of what it is and what it’s intended to be.

I know that’s crappy news for you if true, but it makes sense at least in my mind anyway…

I’m not a super taster, but I rarely drink Soylent straight anymore (I’m still on 1.0). I mix the Soylent the night before (sans oil) with an added 1/4 tsp of salt (this actually improves the flavor for me!) and add the oil in the morning (mix well!).

I then blend 500 ml of prepared Soylent with cocoa powder (1-2 Tbsp, to taste), peanut flour (1-2 Tbsp, to taste), sucralose (about 1/32 tsp, I have a sweet tooth), a pinch more salt (my peanut flour is sodium free), and crushed ice (I usually add a cup). I was using regular peanut butter instead of the peanut flour, and I’d say it tastes slightly better, but adds a lot more fat. Plus I had a bunch of peanut flour I wasn’t using.

This tastes great to me and I don’t notice any grittiness. In general, I’d say don’t be afraid to experiment with adding stuff to prepared Soylent. It took me a lot of trial and error to find something I enjoyed.

It sounds to me like in this case, adding things will only compound the problem since s/he will still be able to taste each and every individual thing. The issue here is that flavors don’t blend for his/her taste buds. S/he’s still able to taste every ingredient in everything. I can’t imagine there’s any real solution to that other than to somehow dull the sense of taste overall…

@hypatia, are there certain flavors that you tend to find you tolerate better than others?

are there certain flavors that you tend to find you tolerate better than others?

I really like sweet flavours. Sweetness can be overpowering for me and quite addictive.

I am not a supertaster either, but the Vanillin flavor didn’t sit well with me… (Vanillin is the “artificial” version of vanilla) But I assume what you are tasting is actually the vitamin/mineral mix in the Soylent… the two sweeteners that are added to Soylent is there to mask the bitter/metalic tastes of the minerals and vitamins. If you can taste the tastes behind the “masking” of the sweeteners, there is little to do about it. Grittiness will always be there, because the rice protein is just like that. though, it feels less bad when you blended your Soylent and drink it while it is still kinda “foamy” (full of small airbubbles in the Soylent, makes it feel more creamy).

You mentioned you used “mineral water” to mix your Soylent. If that is the case I would recommend distilled or reverse osmosis water to remove additional minerals. Our tap water in Tucson has a high mineral content and the first time I mixed it with Soylent it was undrinkable.

If sweet helps, then you may want to add something to bump just sweetness. You could add some sucralose (Splenda) to get it back to the sweetness levels of the original 1.0 formula or beyond, or you might try adding Stevia. I tried 4 drops in a half pitcher of 1.2 and was amazed at how delicious and satisfying it became (not that it was bad before, but it became AMAZEABALLS after). If you can do Stevia, you might give that a shot, one drop at a time.

Or, since he is a supertaster… artificial sweeteners might actually not be the best option… they just don’t taste right… but he could try adding some and see if it helps, or he could also try adding a little bit of normal sugar (even though that would add more carbs/calories, but so does cocoa or peanut-butter.)

Yep valid point. This is definitely going to take some experimentation no question!

Super taster here as well and I had this exact problem. I thought I was going to have to give up Soylent because I couldn’t stand to drink it. My next order was Soylent 1.3 and the changes are dramatic. If chilling it overnight doesn’t help, I’d recommend selling or giving away your remaining 1.2 and ordering 1.3.

If sweet helps, then you may want to add something to bump just sweetness. You could add some sucralose (Splenda) to get it back to the sweetness levels of the original 1.0 formula or beyond, or you might try adding Stevia. I tried 4 drops in a half pitcher of 1.2 and was amazed at how delicious and satisfying it became (not that it was bad before, but it became AMAZEABALLS after). If you can do Stevia, you might give that a shot, one drop at a time.

You’ve been absolutely spot on throughout this thread. I would like to bounce some ideas off of you, because I’m clueless on how to do this alone and you seem to have more experience than me. So could we please treat this as an experiment and add it to the reference base for future super tasters. My current ideas include:

• Adding chicken/beef stock to create a sense of umami (another flavour I really love)
  • Changing the order I prepare it in to make it thicker and/or adding a thickening agent of some kind I would be open to suggestions and ideas
  • An addition of vanilla extract one drop at a time
  • Vanilla syrup starbucks style? I’m not sure how this would interact with the calories of it. I have some flexibility in my diet, but I wouldn’t like to go above 1.15 kcal/ml
  • I don’t mind the aspartame and acesulfame potassium combo used in diet coke at all. Is there some way I can find that independently on the market?
  • I like demerara sugar quite a bit. Maybe I should add a few cubes to it. I’ll guesstimate the right quantity maybe?

What else can I do over here to make this better?

Super taster here as well and I had this exact problem. I thought I was going to have to give up Soylent because I couldn’t stand to drink it. My next order was Soylent 1.3 and the changes are dramatic. If chilling it overnight doesn’t help, I’d recommend selling or giving away your remaining 1.2 and ordering 1.3.

Thanks for replying! So 1.3 is going to get shipped over to me soon, but I don’t want to waste this batch of Soylent. It’s perfectly good stuff and messing around with it is going to be educational, is there anything you were able to do to make the flavour better?

I am not a supertaster either, but the Vanillin flavor didn’t sit well with me… (Vanillin is the “artificial” version of vanilla) But I assume what you are tasting is actually the vitamin/mineral mix in the Soylent… the two sweeteners that are added to Soylent is there to mask the bitter/metalic tastes of the minerals and vitamins. If you can taste the tastes behind the “masking” of the sweeteners, there is little to do about it. Grittiness will always be there, because the rice protein is just like that. though, it feels less bad when you blended your Soylent and drink it while it is still kinda “foamy” (full of small airbubbles in the Soylent, makes it feel more creamy).

What did you do to reduce it?

You mentioned you used “mineral water” to mix your Soylent. If that is the case I would recommend distilled or reverse osmosis water to remove additional minerals. Our tap water in Tucson has a high mineral content and the first time I mixed it with Soylent it was undrinkable.

It’s bottled mineral water and I actually really like the taste. It only has magnesium and other stuff in it, I’ll try distilled though, but I’m not sure where I’ll be able to buy that.

Or, since he is a super taster.

She. :slight_smile:

I don’t have any specific suggestions about sweetness other than what I’ve tried myself. Most importantly, whatever you experiment with… start small. I suggest a measured amount of Soylent, and a measured amount of sweetener that can easily be scaled up to equal an entire batch, once you find something that works for you. The tricky bit is with something like cubed sugar… what if you need less than a cube? Hard to measure in that form factor, though I suppose you could crush it into granules and measure it out.

Sounds like you’ve already got some things in mind that you know you like, so I think you’ve got a pretty good suite of options in front of you. Try to test them on the smallest amount of Soylent you can that will maintain the proportions, so that you don’t wind up wasting too much Soylent in case anything doesn’t go well. :slight_smile: I’m sure many folks here will be quite interested to hear your results!

These are all “to taste” so I recommend starting with a small glass, adding, stirring, tasting, and continuing the process until you reach a suitable combination:

Too sweet? Add lemon and salt
Too bitter? Add lemon and sugar
Too sour? Add salt and sugar

Replace sugar with sucralose as desired.

Even adding a little salt and lemon to my 1.3 I can still taste the sucralose and algae based omega-3 oils (I can even occasionally taste the lemon and salt.)

I’ve settled on about 5 dashes of salt and a 6th of a lemon per glass of Soylent 1.3

I added cocoa powder to mine.

For whatever it’s worth, my best friend is a supertaster, and she loved the Soylent I gave her to try. It was 1.0, though.