I'm having trouble digesting soylent, what are alternatives I could try?

My body currently is not liking the Soylent … I went back to buying organic veggies from farmers markets and grass fed meat, I feel GREAT! but the shopping, cooking and cleaning is basically all I do right now, leaving no time to get work done …

What are some interesting alternatives to Soylent that might have different ingredients that my body might be more happy about? I’m vary about the canola oil in 1.5 and the soy in 2.0 …

Hope Soylent tweaks its formula soon and I can be back on it …

Could you provide more details about what “having trouble digesting Soylent” entails? Was it increased gas, or did it have to do more with unpleasant/frequent trips to the bathroom? Brain fog? People would be better equipped to help with more information.

If gas is the issue, you could be having trouble digesting the carbohydrates. If that’s the case, you might try one of the ketogenic soylent options like KetoSoy or KetoChow. Alternatively, it could just be the oat flour that’s causing gas issues. Some people have had luck switching to soylent that uses corn masa flour as its main carb source. If you feel like taking the DIY plunge, here’s a recipe: https://diy.soylent.com/recipes/people-chow-301-tortilla-perfection.

Good luck.

You can filter through a bunch of alternatives at BlendRunner.

I make and sell some hypoallergenic (soy-free, gluten-free, etc) alternatives of different macro ratios at Super Body Fuel.

It’s the feeling of constantly having water leak out of your butt and clenching it all day to keep it in, I did diy masa harina soylent until Soylent was finally released, on masa harina it was a lot worse. On 1.5 I can do it for a little while, especially when eating normal food as well, but after a while I get the leaking / watery feeling again … going full Keto is not for me, I think. I tried some keto mixes I think back then from custom body fuel and it didn’t do it for me …

Wow, Blendrunner is awesome! Thanks! Now I have to many options and too few criteria to choose from, interesting would be ability to know the quality of the ingredients, how they are sourced, processed, how many heavy metals etc :slight_smile:

Agreed, that would be very nice… :wink:

Maybe adding fiber would help?

I myself do add 10 grams of psyllium husk fiber in my soylent 1.5. (per liter). So I am getting about 6.5 grams per serving, I eat two servings of Soylent per day.

mh that’s an idea, I thought soylent was already quite rich on fiber and folks were having issues with too much? What about active charcoal, wouldn’t that help as well ?

Soylent has 3 grams of fiber per serving. Consuming 2,000 calories would yield 12 grams of fiber.

The recommended serving of fiber per day is 38 grams for males ages 19 - 50. 30 grams for males age 50 and older. For females the recommended serving of fiber per day is 25 grams ages 19 - 50 and 21 grams for females over 50. (According to the Institute of Medicine.)

There is a fine line to how much one really needs, too much can cause one person to have constipation issues and another to have loose stool issues. Some people with IBS or loose stool issues have been successful in bulking up their stool by increasing fiber intake.

awesome! Thanks, I will try that. Wonder why soylent ships with such little fiber? I thought the whole idea was everything is already in it so you don’t have to worry about it …

It may be because so many people have different “tolerance” for it. Some people have a high fiber diet and will find Soylent to have much too little. Some people have a very low fiber diet and will find Soylent to have too much. Might be a goldilocks type of situation.

so I saw people adding salt to soylent, now also fiber, is there anything else one should be adding? Supplement with fishoil for omega 3s?

I don’t add salt, some people suggest adding salt if you are only on Soylent. Some people reported feeling light headed until they added salt.

When asked why they NEED to add salt, someone said they needed to add extra salt because they had “chronic low blood pressure.”

Since I consume a regular dinner, I don’t add salt. (I like to add picked jalapeno rings to a lot of my food, for flavor - I pickle my own jalapenos at home, so I get salt outside of Soylent.) Its about $1.00 for a # of salt.

Some people can’t have extra salt in their diet, while others need more. Its about finding that middle ground that works for the majority of peoples diets.

try adding 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of psyllium husk per serving, I found that the extra fiber helped immensely with butt issues. I also often get a small amount of heartburn after drinking a full meal but baking soda in water or an antacid helps that.

duh, I didn’t see Naten’s reply, I should just say ditto

I grabbed some husks and will give it a try, thank you both!

If soylent produces too much acid, something else is off ?!? Is soylent destroying the microbiome ?

I found the reverse to be true for me. Where as, I had an acid reflux problem before changing my lifestyle and incorporating Soylent into my diet. My cabinet is chock-full of antacids and acid reducers. I haven’t needed them since I started consuming Soylent for 2/3 daily meals.

Are we all talking about 1.5 or 2.0 ?

I am talking about 1.5.

(I only recently started consuming 2.0. I consume 2.0 when I am out somewhere and don’t have access to a refrigerator or if I somehow forgot to make Soylent 1.5 the night prior.)

I had a little trouble with 1.5 as well. It wasn’t enough to notice until I switched to 2.0. It was the horror farts that made me switch to 2.0. I will go back to powder once they get that fixed.