Impossible to lose weight with soylent

Not rambling, just a good pep talk from how I read it :smile:

For clarification though

Two more calories, and because of short term metabolic boosting and long term appetite suppressing the drink actually yields an overall negative calorie count. Assuming you don’t drown it in sugar or creamer, as you said.

Are you saying that as you lose weight, your appetite will decrease?

So, by being thinner, you won’t be as hungry?

What you need to do is figure out how many calories you need to maintain the weight you want to be at and then figure out how you can eat regularly for that many calories. Also, quit with the reward meal, and if you have a regular meal, it’s probably worth 2 Soylent meals. That reward meal is just throwing away all your gains for the week.

Yeah, basically, if we ignore eating disorders.

Another exception is if you are losing fat and replacing it with muscle, your caloric needs will actually increase. So you can look and feel better but actually need to eat more to maintain your weight.

Great information. Iv read it over and over again and all I can say is. “DAMN” im really f8cked! How did my life change so fast and thrown upside down. If i go to a restaurant and eat a nice meal, im destroyed the rest of the day and part of the next day according to calorie intake. I feel like i just want to die.

The break down made sense, very good sense and it certainly rattles my life. It’s the gawd awefull truth I just really didnt want to hear but needed to. I do eat for entertainment, mentally I do see myself doing these things and not realizing it. While its a great awakening, it also seems like a death sentence. I want a fucking cheeseburger so damn bad.

:slight_smile: You can still have those things if you want. You can choose to either have less Soylent, or increase your activity levels (exercise). But exercise doesn’t have to be “crossfit”, heavy weights, long fast runs or anything like that… Just focus on actually moving your body to make it burn the calories.

You can’t hit a precise target for anything without measuring, that is just how it is. You won’t be successful until you dismiss the self-judgment and start keeping track of your intake. Measuring your meals is not weird, it is a discipline that healthy people have and unhealthy people don’t.

To reinforce what @Tordenskjold said, it’s definitely worth looking at opportunities to increase your physical activity, along with whatever diet changes you can manage.

I see from your other thread that you already play golf, so that’s at least a great start (and might be enough on its own, depending how much you play and what else you do).

I wonder if there’s any scope for changing your daily routine in small ways to include more exercise? I know that walking for part of my journey to work instead of taking public transport has helped me maintain my weight.

A tech journalist wrote effusively about how walking helped him get his weight under control (see http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/06/16/apple-watch-my-most-personal-review-ever/, under the “Fitness: information is power” heading, and his follow-up post: http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/06/18/follow-up-to-how-i-lost-over-40-pounds-using-healthkit-and-apple-watch/) — obviously you don’t actually need to track it with a $350 smartwatch, but noting down simple things like rough calorie counts and rough minutes of exercise per day can help give you a greater sense of awareness and control.

And hey, don’t worry. You’re not f—ed. You’re already making changes to get healthier. It’s scary when your assumptions turn out not to be true, but you’re more than capable of getting where you want to be.

Weight loss through exercise is extremely time-consuming, especially for people who are not already fit. Yes, include some exercise, but controlling calorie intake is far more effective.

Is there data to back that up?

(I’ve got zero data to back my assertions up, but as far as I know even a little exercise is recommended as being beneficial for almost everything, including mood, stress and sleeping well, all of which can help when you’re trying to control your calorie intake).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html/ is a long but great look into it. Some highlights:

This is actually a topic that I intend to cover in greater detail in a later article series but the realities of exercise are that most will not and can not burn a ton of calories during activity of any sort. Under most conditions, 5 cal/min is pretty common for a beginner

Because while increasing activity by 500 calories/day (assume 50-100 minutes of moderate-low intensity activity) is usually unrealistic, that same deficit can generally be created through diet much more easily.

I speak from experience here: when you have excess body fat, the most miserable thing on earth is getting all sloppy with sweat and making it flop around. The good news is you don’t necessarily have to do sweaty exercise; if your diet is good then weight training for about 3 sessions per week (with a rest day in between each) will burn enough calories to keep your metabolism active. You’ll also have loads of energy the rest of the time.

Exercise is great for your overall health, but terribly ineffective for weight loss, dietary restriction is where you see progress in losing weight.

If you do want to exercise for weight loss you should lift heavy things. Adding muscle helps you burn more calories when you’re doing everything else.

Yeah… be smart @renniks, don’t do crossfit…

It seems like you have had an eye opener, and now you have to find a way to mesh the unhealthy old life you had with the healthy new life you know you need. I think one thing that is underrated in weight loss is culture. I live in Wisconsin where people drink and go to restaurants for fun. Our diet includes tons of meat and cheese. The portions here are very big (unless you go to more of a fast food national chain). So I know that if I’m going out with my friends, I need to cut out 2 meals, and I’ve taken a page out of the books of many females in my area of eating half and getting half to go (although with things like burgers that is awkward to do so I try to order things that I can split more easily). Going to a restaurant around here and eating a full meal easily means 1500 calories or more. We have appetizers like Poutine which are over 1000 calories, and you can even order a cheese curd burger (literally cheese used for cheese curds turned into it’s own patty that they slap on top of a meat patty with a buttery bun), Wisconsin is home to things like Frozen Custard (fattier and more delicious ice cream) and butter burgers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnm4CE2EgHk), etc.

These are the temptation I grew up with and have to avoid that many people on the coasts will never understand. This is the culture I have to break free from and yet somehow still be a part of a society with doing big meals with family, going to restaurants with friends, etc. For me, Soylent has helped exceptionally with the fact that when I go out I know that I’m not going to eat what I used to. I can’t put down a full meal anymore, so I purposefully order smaller stuff on the menu. It’s common for me to order an appetizer as a meal or pastas I can split in half. The reason it’s so key is that you can’t expand your stomach because if you do then you will start snacking more the next day and add on more calories to your “reward” meal. So maybe have it be a date night where instead of going to a restaurant you get some frozen custard, see a movie, go to a park, etc. a little more appealing, and then you can mix in a restaurant occasionally. I’ve even known couples to get a burger, cut it in half, and eat that and split the fries. It’s not a bad option, especially if you don’t want leftovers, and especially for food that is hard to split in half for yourself (weird cutting a burger in half to bring half home but not weird cutting a burger in half for two people to each have half). Sorry if I rambled, but I was kind of thinking out loud and this is the stuff I deal with and how I’ve helped myself (still have a ways to go). Oh, and don’t add those extras like pie or appetizers if you are getting a meal. Your hypothetical caloric debit card will have some overdraft fees if you do that.

EDIT: A picture of the Cheese Curd Burger I’m talking about for those who have never heard of one: https://seasonitalready.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/img_0992.jpg?w=409&h=545 (Yes, that is a pretzel bun with so much butter it is soft.) You can see the size of what I call the cheese patty compared to the 1/2 lb sirloin burger. (And no, that’s not too much cheese.)

A handful of fresh blueberries aren’t going to hurt you. But a handful of nuts is a lot of calories for someone trying to lose weight. You’re simply eating too many calories.

I had no idea what a cheese curd was, but just had to like the idea of a cheese patty on top of a burger patty. I need to get out to Wisconsin. Mmmm… cheese…

We have similar issues with portion size and calories per plate here in NM, what with all the New Mexican food stuffed and drenched with the aforementioned awesomeness that is cheese. I have no doubt I have had meals in the 3-4k calorie range. I do think that’s a fairly common problem though, and would expect to find it in just about any westernized place, just substitute your traditional local flavors.

And just for y’alls reading pleasure, and since I didn’t know and had to attend Google University…

[quote]What in the world is a Cheese Curd?

“A cheese curd is an orangish cheese byproduct that feels like Silly Putty but tastes a lot better. It was invented accidentally by UW cheese scientists attempting to create an object of pure cholesterol that would still squeak. Rats who are fed this remarkable food develop an unusual capacity to polka and drink beer.”[/quote]

Nothing wrong with crossfit, its not for everybody but I just dropped 40lbs in 3 1/2 months doing it. Im already very muscular from years of weight training when I was younger so I’m not going to be able to pack on much more muscle so crossfit makes sense for me, plus I enjoy it. Like others have said losing weight is all about caloric intake, building muscle will definitely help though.

Ahh well you have experience lifting, which might put you at a slight advantage.

There is plenty wrong with CF but my biggest pet peeve is that it’s a group exercise. Heavy weights + a bunch of people moving around you = not a good idea.