I want to start making my own DIY Soylent and I was not satisfied with the existing spreadsheet models so I’ve been working on something that I think is more useful. As I’m using Soylent I imagine I’ll be tweaking various things as I go, so I wanted an easy way to track changes to my formulas. In the end it might be worth developing dedicated software, but in the meantime this seems useful.
What I’ve come up with is a 2 part spreadsheet. You have one sheet just for ingredients and their nutritional information. Then you have another sheet for each formula (they all reference the same ingredient sheet) – you reference the ingredient on the ingredient sheet, input the serving size you want for that ingredient, and it automatically fills in all the amounts for each nutrient.
The advantages I see here are that it’s easy to tweak serving sizes of different ingredients and it’s also easy to swap out different sources for specific nutrients. The ingredient sheet acts as a database that formula sheets all reference (only grabbing the ingredients they specify). Perhaps we could also crowdsource the growth of the Ingredients sheet – inputting all the nutrition info for each ingredient is where most of the work lies.
Here’s a link to my WIP spreadsheet. USE MY SPREADSHEET AT YOUR OWN RISK! I OFFER NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTEES! So far I’ve only tested it with Poor Man’s Soylent formula – doesn’t seem like a great formula to follow just FYI.
Let me know if you find any bugs, have any suggestions, or have any questions. In the ingredients sheet, I use whatever measurement unit the package used (this seems to be relatively standard across different packages – I convert to metric system if it’s not already) – in the formula sheet, I use g and IU for now (I might change it to mirror Rob’s choices).
If you make any improvements to it (by copying it to your own Google Drive and editing your copy), be sure to post it!
One mistake I made when I originally made the spreadsheet was, on the ingredients page, to have all the nutrient per-package-serving values (yellow) to the left of all the per/1g values (white). It made adding additional nutrients very hard (lots of manual tweaking to the formula sheet to account for the column shift). Instead, I should have alternated like I did with Sulfur and will do with future nutrients. Not the prettiest, but a lot easier to work with.