Improving the Experience of Soylent 1.4

I understand that to many (not all, but some), Soylent 1.4 has not been the ideal drinking experience. The texture and flavor seem to be chief among the criticisms, and I also was a little put off: not enough to unsubscribe or even slow my consumption, but enough that Soylent became slightly more of a chore than it was before. However I recently (and accidentally) came across a couple easy things to do that dramatically improved 1.4 in my eyes (or, mouth, rather).

1 - If you can help it, don’t make a pitcher in the evening and let it sit in the fridge overnight before consuming. Make it right before you plan to consume it. The texture is much closer to 1.3 at that point (a little frothy, but not unpleasantly so), and the sharp/briny aftertaste was nowhere to be found. Obviously it won’t work for everyone logistics-wise. I usually just have one glass of Soylent like this, and the rest of the day it’s chilled, but if it warms it does seem to feel better in the mouth. I haven’t tried it via stirring powder into a single serving, so I don’t know if stirring vs shaking works better or worse.

2 - Add fiber. I added a tablespoon of psyllium husk powder to the 2 liter pitcher (mostly because my BM had become a bit more labored than normal, so I wanted to bring my fiber consumption up nearer the recommended level), and I found that the texture that seemed to me like raw egg whites went back to a much more tolerable smoothness. This effect was much less pronounced however, so it’s possible that I’m just getting used to it and this is just a placebo effect.

I know this won’t be ideal for everyone, but I hope it might help someone.

Have you tried just watering it down? It works great for me.

I agree totally with OP. I’ve gone to 1/2 batches to prevent it from sitting too long in the fridge. Slightly more prep work, but It has helped out a lot.

I did try watering it down by adding about 50% more water, and it did work a bit, but it’s just not something I do since for some reason when the Soylent is too thin it’s slightly unpleasant to me. I have started adding just a bit of hot water when I take it out of the fridge at work though (hot water is easily had in my break room), mostly to bring up the temperature.

The first bottle of 1.4 I tried had only been in the fridge for maybe half an hour, and I thought the texture was nice and velvety-smooth, so I’d say #1 definitely works. I don’t think I ever let it sit for more than 24 hours, so that’s probably when the horrible sliminess starts…

I have no issues with texture overnight.

I did not like 1.4 the first day, then discovered better flavoring and now I love it.
I add 1 banana, 1T chocolate and some orange extract. I think the orange extract is what fixed the flavor for me, I like the smooth thick texture the banana adds and the chocolate syrup, I don’t want to add it, but it just adds a touch of flavor I like, until I adapt to it without it…

I use an immersion blender, I think that helps get the oil out of it’s cocoon and emulsified into the general mixture.

On two occasions, I have had v1.4 left in the fridge for two nights, not just one, and the texture never changed in any particularly adverse way. I use lots of flavoring, but that shouldn’t impact the texture. I make it by the pitcher. I want to take it backpacking, using ziplocs each holding one meal with flavor mixed in, but I am nervous about trying it at room temperature. I haven’t tried any of the versions “fresh” for that matter. It sounds like the texture is OK at room temperature, but how is the flavor?

The first Soylent 1.4 I had was prepared with chilled water, and I thought it tasted alright. It was a little gritty because it hadn’t had time to dissolve fully. The flavor is much stronger but other than saying it reminded me of sunflower kernels I don’t know how else to describe it. I’ve seen wildly different opinions on this forum.

And yeah, after 9 or less hours in the refrigerator, 1.4 reaches its final form. I haven’t seen any additional thickening at up to 48 hours. If you don’t mind the thick texture and desire a consistent experience, definitely prepare the pitcher before you go to bed. The advantage here is that you won’t have a variable experience. The first glass in the morning should be just like the last glass in the pitcher. I have yet to experience “sliminess” although 1.4 does get quite thick after sitting overnight.

To improve the salty taste without extra calories, I add 1 tsp of ceylon cinnamon (the real stuff) and 1 packet of splenda (or whatever sweetener you want) to each portion. The result is more of a pancake batter taste.

Ceylon cinnamon benefits: http://goo.gl/uuxNht

The texture is less grainy than 1.3 and the color is very pretty but the flavor is too salty. I enjoyed the vanilla/ oatmeal flavor in 1.3. I wish they’d scale the calories better. As a small woman with a desk job I have no business consuming 1500 calories per day.

I’m just having my first glass of 1.4 now over ice from a mix a few hours ago and it’s already briney… You comment that it gets worse is concerning! :smile:

And the problem with just using less is?
Realistically speaking, the “low calorie” version would probably just be smaller packages, with slightly different directions (to use less powder) and probably little to no price difference

One of the benefits of Soylent is that you can apportion your calories very specifically. So if you only want to eat 1000 calories, you only prepare a half a bag. That level of precise portion control is a big plus in my mind.

But then you’re getting only 50% of the RDA of many minerals and vitamins. I would consider taking an additional multi-vitamin supplement if you’re doing that.

Except, RDA of most vitamins and minerals are based on age, gender and weight. Someone who requires less calories generally requires less nutrients.

If OP is concerned, she can check out any number of RDA calculators available online. But I suspect she is fine consuming 1/2 a bag per day.

I actually really like the flavor of 1.4 at room temperature. I did try 1.3 at room temperature once as well, but I thought it tasted pretty bad.

That’s good to know, thanks. I think next month I will experiment with one bag of 1.4 when I have a good enough stock again (I lowered my shipment to 1 week to see if I liked 1.4, and have to stretch for a couple more weeks before the full four-week subscription resumes). I have pretty much determined that one way or another I will do the backpacking thing with Soylent, so I should probably acclimate to the room-temperature taste and texture. I’ve had 1.2 and 1.3 less than fully chilled and was convinced that I wouldn’t be able to take it with zero refrigeration, so it’s good to know that 1.4 is better than that, and can even earn a rating of “good” and not just tolerable.

I’m fine with 1.4 freshly mixed, room temperature and undoctored. After it soaks in the fridge I have to dilute it and flavor it to get it down. (I didn’t like the earlier versions before they were soaked and refrigerated, so this is very different.) Give it a try.

I just wanted to give my vote to adding extra water. I was using a 20oz blender bottle for 1.0-1.3 with no problems. With 1.4, the texture was ruining the entire experience. I would almost gag with every sip.

I just purchased a 28oz blender bottle. Using the same amount of 1.4 soylent and adding extra water changed EVERYTHING. Now it’s perfect, and I can’t imagine going back.

I like your idea of using flavored extracts. I’ve tried sugar free vanilla syrup with cinnamon and that made it palatable. I’ve also tried co so peder powder but that required and immersion blender to get it to mix in thoroughly. Both of these are sort of a pain when you’re trying to enjoy soylent’s “quick and easy” aspect but I think some sweet enter packet and flavored extract may be the key. I’m going to try that next.

On another note, I don’t like the idea of adding addition caloric items to it since 2000 calories per day is already too high for a woman my age and size.

That’s easier said than done. If I eat less than there is no satiation and find myself craving other things. Think about it, if I cut it in half then got a meal I’d be only drinking about 8 oz. do you know anyone who would feel full or even satisfied with that as there full meal?