Information Overload. Where to start?!

I’ve been reading the forums here and on reddit for over a month now, really wanting to get started on Soylent myself. Thinking for lunch and dinner. Will most likely do real food for breakfast and weekends.

I see so much info and I have about a dozen recipes, but with all the updated information all the time, which recipe is good? Where do I start? I know malto is to be avoided mostly and a few other tidbits, but I’m lost.
How many of this and that do I need and how do I know not to overdo this or that so I don’t kill myself.

The recipe I’m thinking of going with is Mrob’s recipe here but It seems in the thread he made revisions, are those in that recipe, is it a good recipe?

Anyone willing to help would be greatly appreciated.

I think the best approach is to just start learning about basic human nutrition - I poked around a ton on Google, sifted through all sorts of studies and dietary recommendations, and I think reading through academic texts would have also served me well. No one here (that I know of) has any strong educational background in this stuff, so taking anyone’s suggestions or advice at face value is a risky proposition. You’re much better off absorbing as much of the information out there as you can with an open mind and then making decisions for yourself, using what others are doing as maybe a starting point or a place to find ideas.

Try this one, it has received the best reviews by far.

That’s sort of the problem I’m having tho. I’ve done a TON of reading. I’ve even studied lots of nutrition stuff, and my brother has a minor in nutrition, but for all that, neither of us can really decide where to begin with the recipes and mixing.

How do you find the review/review scores?

I ended up doing the opposite, lol. I grabbed a recipe from somebody that appeared to have a similar goal in mind (primarily powder-based recipe, easy customization, low daily cost), and went from there, researching the nutrients in the recipe and adding what I saw and made changes along the way.

I’ve also been tweaking my recipe since to even out the rough edges as I’m pretty easily affected by the food I eat (always have been). For folks with a lower sensitivity than I, it could also be a place to start. Feel free to ask me any questions on my recipe and its updates, I’m sure it seems a bit confusing now since the tweaks, but I’m happy to clarify.

From what I’ve heard of the hackerschool soylent, though, I’d recommend that as a good place to start as well. Seems much more straight forward and simpler than my own.

Thanks for replying Mrob! I was about to do the same thing you just described. I was gonna take your recipe and dive in head first and see how I come out the other end haha.

I’ll be looking at both your recipe and the one from Hacker School and seeing what I can do to adjust. I guess I just wanted to make sure these recipes were well accepted and newly revised so I don’t have to make all the same mistakes that may have been made months ago. Work smart not hard, I always say.

This seems like an interesting recipe: http://www.makesoylent.com/recipes/51e173a72d1c680200000086

I want to throw in another shout out for the hacker school soylent recipe. It’s simple, it was made by a professional chef, and it just works. It’s not the one I use myself, but it’s a good 'un.

I would say the main drawback of the hacker school recipe is that it’s not especially easy to customize. What I mean by that is that it uses a ton of cleverness, with single ingredients playing many roles simultaneously, and this means that any modification you want to make could potentially disrupt the recipe and require major modifications. @mrob’s recipe looks to me like it doesn’t have this problem, for what it’s worth.

I’m with @goldilocks. I started by reading all I could about nutrition and making a huge list of every nutrient I needed. I had multivitamins on hand, so I started there. Bought the macros plus emulsifier to experiment, and then slowly filled in the holes as I could afford new ingredients. It took a few months to get what I’d consider nutritional completeness (at least as best as I currently understand that term), but it was very educational and rewarding along the way. I have a lot more confidence in the final outcome than I would if I’d just followed a recipe from the start.

I disagree on the customization, but I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. What I liked about the Hackerschool recipe is that I can simply scale up or down the fat and/or sugar based on whether I want to lose weight or not (right now, I do). That’s a huge plus.

I did make some modifications to it to make it easier for me to get the ingredients, and to measure without a digital scale. I have a list of all the ingredients with imperial measurements as well, but suffice it to say that if my numbers look weird, it’s because I rounded up/down to the nearest tablespoon or something like that.

http://www.makesoylent.com/recipes/51fc25095d5f6902000000f4