Insulin Resistance / High Inflammation from Maltodextrin?

There is evidence to support the idea that drinking a lot of sugary beverages is linked to the onset of type-2 diabetes. 1

Would this be a potential danger in drinking a lot of soylent?

I understand that fiber can slow the release of sugar into the bloodstream, so this may be a potential way to prevent glucose spikes.

Also, has rob done a C-Reactive Protein test to see if soylent has induced any inflammation in his body? Maltodextrin has a high glycemic index, and may therefore trigger an inflammatory response in the body. I would be very interested to know if this is the case

1 http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/sugary-drinks-type2-diabetes/

Simple carb vs. complex carbs

I think the majority of soylent recipes have legitimately absurd quantities of carbohydrates in them. This is most likely because maltodextrin is cheaper than casein/whey, but also because american dietary guidelines recommend too many carbs these days.

You bring up a good point though. Personally, my recipe is much higher in protein and fat (tahini, flax, fish oil) than any of the others I’ve seen. It’s also more expensive. Something to consider if the high amounts of malto concern you.

I use an all protein/fat mix (just a couple of carbs from various things like the protein powder). Everything carbs do for you can be synthesized in the liver from fat. I’ve found no problems with it other than the cravings for carbs in the transition period. Sugar cravings in children can take 12 to 18 months to completely go away according to one case study across hundreds of children.

@cameronmalek: It’s awesome you are trying a keto diet, but I want to make sure that the statement ‘Everything carbs do for you can [be] synthesized in the liver from fat’ be corrected. The major effect a ketogenic diet (high fat, medium protein) does for you is switching fuel from mainly glucose to mainly ketone bodies. This is a big change in how your body operates; one effect is increasing insulin sensitivity.
(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_research_related_to_low-carbohydrate_diets for an overview of studies done on low carb diet)

Relating back to the thread, I would recommend lowering carbohydrate intake significantly from Rob’s version to avoid increasing insulin resistance.

I can only support this topic. I won’t be using instant-oats due to their mostly unclear nutritional information and consistently high manganese content. They too throw off well-dosed multivitamins and have phytic acids.
So like many others I am left with only Maltodextrin and a few other, relatively high GI carb sources, and fiber.

Really interested in more opinions on this topic…

It would be helpful/instructive if people posted their macro breakdowns. The recipe I’ve made the last few times is 40% carb/20% protein/40% fats. The protein amount is based on the 0.8 g per kg bodymass recommendation, with the fat/carbs balanced out. I tried to research ideal macro breakdowns and found a bunch of junky articles and pseudoscientific opinions.

I was all set for finally commiting to buying what i need for me recipe when i found this thread. I have around 325 g of Maltodextrin in my daily recipe which now sounds worrying. I’ve found a few websites that state more than 100g/day is bad, but have yet to find a more refutable websites.

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with maltodextrin values as high as mine?

*Note I’m 6’3", and very active if that helps

cheers

I have way more malto in my recipe and have been doing it for 35 days now. Although I am bigger than you as well.

There aren’t too many other choices that we have found to replace malto. Also based on the amount of people using it, I don’t necessarily think it is a problem. Although I would like to find something with a slightly lower GI.
I have found that if I add too much malto to mine (2 - 3 cups) that I get a sugar rush, so I just dialed back my malto and went back to normal.

Awesome, thanks for the info. glad to here it hasn’t killed you! :wink:

How’s your fiber? It can lower the GI.

I actually lowered my fiber to 34.5 grams. Anything above that I started to have digestive problems.

The recommendation on fiber is 14g per 1000 kcal. So, if you eating around 2500 kcals, 34.5g of fiber should be ideal. It might be that you’re getting too much soluble fiber. Soluble fibers tend to be much more prebiotic, that is they feed your gut bacteria, which cause those bacteria to breathe and exhale, which causes gas.

I’ve been looking at information on the ideal ratio of soluble to insoluble fiber. Can’t find much good info. A number of places said, though, that people typically get only about 20-25% of their fiber as soluble. Other sources say that 50% is better, some just say it’s a matter of personal preference and experimentation. Since most of us are using psyllium, which is 2/3 soluble, it might be good to add some other insoluble sources. Flax seed is pretty inexpensive and is only 1/3 soluble. I’m using some ground flaxseed, but it’s also a rich source of omega-3 and you don’t want too much of that. I’ve just ordered some cellulose powder, which is 100% insoluble. Slightly more expensive, but the best source of insoluble fiber I’ve found.

If anyone knows anything more about the best soluble/insoluble ratio, I’d love to hear it.