Interesting. Fish oil study found flawed

Seems the original researchers just depended on records and hearsay.

This is in regards to preventing heart disease. But not in regards to there being nutrients that are useful in the fish oil. The studies are kind of silly. Basically they find some people that live longer than average and then, almost randomly try to guess why and attribute health benefits to that guess.

There was also a much better, not-flawed (that we know of) study that showed fish oil is a good anti-inflammatory agent for people with arthritis.

I’ve noticed that taking fish oil speeds up the healing of sports injured joints.

Yeah. It’s just that heart and fish oil link was found to be bunk. Fish oil still has bunch nice stuff around it.

They’re pretty cool compounds molecularly (from Wikipedia):

Fish do not actually produce omega-3 fatty acids, but instead accumulate them by consuming either microalgae or prey fish that have accumulated omega-3 fatty acids, together with a high quantity of antioxidants such as iodide and selenium, from microalgae, where these antioxidants are able to protect the fragile polyunsaturated lipids from peroxidation.[3][4][5]

From a mental health perspective omega-3 fatty acids also do interesting things to alter behavior:

Studies were conducted on prisoners in England where the inmates were fed seafood which contains omega-3 fatty acids. The higher consumption of these fatty acids corresponded with a drop in the assault rates.[37][38] Reduced levels of aggression have also been found in schoolchildren and young adults when their diets were supplemented with fish oil.[39][40]

Got links? Interesting indeed.

So here’s an idea… Why not use microalgae in soylent, and leave the poor fish alone. I’m not a vegan or anything, just it seems there is probably protein and other good things to be had by keeping the fish out of the loop.

That idea might work. I read about spirluna algae. Seems it’s great. There is even special filters that easily captures sprilina due to that algaes special shape.

part of accumulating it would be concentrating it; raw algae might not have a high enough concentration to be useful. I am sure we could concentrate it ourselves, but that is an extra complexity that would have to be worked out.

Well if there was some new process to do exactly that. Concentrate it from algae. Someone invent one., :slight_smile:

Sorry its on old topic but it piqued my interest.

Regarding research findings, it depends on how the fish oil they used was handled too. If it was in bottles/strips that were transparent and hence exposed to sunlight/light and heat they could have oxidised and become transfat (very dangerous for the heart). This could have neutralized some of the heart benefits of fish oil. Fish oil is polyunsat fat…the most prone to oxidization (as compared to mono which is prone too but slightly lesser than poly and even more prone compared to sat fat). So if fish oil has to be used/consumed it has to be kept away from or (stored in containers/strips that take in least heat and light) as possible.

Same with algal oil that has polyunsat fat (EPA/DHA).

That’s why I keep my fish oil in the fridge.