Is anyone drinking Soylent 2.0 tracking their testosterone / estrogen levels?

@Woodster , How much was it before?

The OP seems to indicate this is the first time he tested it, so no prior data.

So @Woodster there is no way to be sure it hasnt impacted your testosterone. Also you must be on 1.5 not 2.0 most of the time, since you said you were consuming soylent since a year. RL needs to look into the impact 2.0 might have on testosterone levels. Run some tests on those beta testers it has.

I had blood work done after 1.2 years of a 60% Soylent diet (v1.0 through v1.5, as they were released). My serum testosterone was 939 ng/dL, with the reference interval being between 348 - 1197. I’ve only recently added 2.0 to the mix, so I don’t have any data on that.

FYI, the only thing that came in low was Vitamin D: mine was 15.8 ng/mL, with the reference interval being between 30.0 - 100.0. That surprised me. I now take a D3/K2 supplement daily.

However you have a pre-2.0 measurement so if/when you get blood work done again you’ll be able to see pre-2.0 and post-2.0.

Hey, I posted this a while ago but, I’ve been monitoring and managing my testosterone/estrogen with a doctor for a few years now. I started Soylent 2.0 last year and our test results started to show a drop in Estrogen (my testosterone stayed normal. I never had the other side effects like painful breasts but I did recognize the side effects of having no estrogen. I’ve since stopped Soylent and a few months out I believe my levels have normalized (actually waiting on those results to come back in a week, but the symptoms are gone). From what I guess, since there isn’t an epidemic of every guy on Soylent 2 complaining, it must only be that certain people are susceptible to the effects of that much isoflavones and from what I understand people seem to think this would not be the impact soy isoflavones would have but it’s what changed for me.

My situation has a lot of variables but I DO attribute the impact on my estrogen to Soylent, for what that’s worth. I’m not looking to get into a debate on who is smarter or knows the most about hormones/soy or whatever, just telling what changed for me.

Following up. I’ve been on Soylent 2.0 for nearly a year now, and my serum testosterone was basically unchanged:

2015 (60% Soylent Powder)
939 ng/dL

2016 (70% Soylent Drink)
927 ng/dL

So, I wouldn’t worry about Soylent 2.0 affecting your testosterone. It hasn’t for me.

My Vitamin D, however, was still low: 28.2 ng/mL with the reference interval being 30.0 - 100.0.

Note that I take a 1,800 IU D3 supplement daily in addition to Soylent 2.0. I’m increasing my D3 dosage to 5,000 IU. I avoid direct sun exposure (to prevent premature aging), so I’m sure some of you get more Vitamin D from the outdoors. But, based on my experience, I would recommend supplementing Soylent with Vitamin D3.

I also stopped supplementing 5g of creatine this year, and my serem creatinine was low: 0.71 mg/dL with the reference interval being 0.76 - 1.27. In 2015 (with 5g of daily creatine), it was 1.00 mg/dL. Based on this, I will probably add creatine back into the mix. There’s some mild evidence that it improves cognition for vegetarians:

Studies related to Cognition (Vegetarians) and Creatine

I take extra vitamin D as well, and avoid the sun, jogging at 5:30 a.m. or so, when I jog. I also take fish oil caps as part of my meds, by Dr’s orders, and statins. I also take about five prescription drugs. Overall, I feel good, which isn’t the case with all my 70-year-old friends.

Edit. It would be interesting if we had some sort of drug/health registry for everyone who chose to participate.

Are you also taking a CoQ10 supplement as well? Statins have been known to cause a drop in natural production.

How do you guys get bloodwork done - do you just ask your doctor? (Does it cost extra?)

Yes and Yes. It all depends on what your insurance will cover. Simply ask your doctor for the specific blood work and viola.

Ugh, don’t they have robots for this stuff yet?

This is the service (and the test) that I use: Walk-In-Lab: Anti-Aging Baseline Blood and Urine Panel. There is also one for women.

It’s pretty simple—and doesn’t require a doctor’s visit. You pay for the test online, then you send the documents to a nearby LabCorp (you can do this through the Walk-In-Lab site). You make an appointment with LabCorp (or not, because they accept walk-ins), they take samples of your blood and urine, then you wait a day or two for an e-mail with the results.

I started doing this when I hit 30 and plan to continue from now on.

I see, thanks for the info everyone!

Insurance seems to covering less and less these days. It seems like clinics are popping up that will allow you to walk in to get blood testing. Also, here is a Accesa lab testing that allows you to order testing through Quest (another major national lab). It’s only a matter of time before we can just order a box to do all the testing at home…

It cost me a bit shy of ten bucks for a full blood test. But I’m in Canuckistan.

Following up again. I’ve been on Soylent Original for about two years now, and my serum testosterone has actually gone up a bit:

2015 (60% Soylent Powder)
939 ng/dL

2016 (70% Soylent Original)
927 ng/dL

2017 (80% Soylent Original)
974 ng/dL

Your mileage may vary, but this puts to rest any concerns I had about Soylent decreasing testosterone levels. I’m 32, for reference.

Also, I was finally able to get my Vitamin D levels where I wanted: 59.2 ng/mL with the reference interval being 30.0 - 100.0.

But it took a lot of supplemental Vitamin D3 to get there—a daily dose of 5,000 IU. That’s a relatively high amount (especially considering the amount of D2 in the Soylent I consume), so it’s worth your time to consider supplementing with Vitamin D. Especially if you wear sunscreen or don’t get a lot of direct sun exposure.

While I can’t be sure it was Soylent…my story is strange. About 2 months into 75% Soylent I started having all the symptoms of Low T and low vitamin D. I got tested and both were at the very bottom of the normal range and Im only 32. I suspect I may have always had these problems and just reached a tipping point for my body. I stopped just to be safe and waiting until my T levels are back to normal with shots.

I’m no doctor but I believe some people argue that soy mimics estrogen, not that it raises or lowers estrogen or testosterone.

I am not a physician and would suggest you follow a doctors advice like I did. Having said that, I had the same concern after several friends (mostly women) warned me about soy.

What I found is that numerous studies cited above have found the estrogenic effects were observed in mice, but have not been reproduced in humans - especially males.

I have my Estrogen & Testosterone levels tested, and there has been nothing abnormal about them after years on 60% to 75% Soylent.

I think it’s good that you’re being careful, but just realize that there are a lot of factors. You need to do the best you can to not change much else in your life when you add soylent back in and test again.

As for vitamin D, where do you live? Not specifically, but do you live in a place that gets a lot of sunshine? I live in the Northeast and my doctor said it is common people in my state have low vitamin D. I find it interesting that you’re observing this in March after a long winter.

I just added a vitamin D3 5000 IU to my diet and my levels are fine.