Is anyone drinking Soylent X.y tracking their cognitive functioning / brain aging?

[quote=“pdfs.semanticscholar.org”] Original Research | Brain Aging and Midlife Tofu Consumption

Lon R. White, MD, MPH, Helen Petrovitch, MD, G. Webster Ross, MD, Kamal Masaki, MD, John Hardman, MD

National Institute on Aging, NIH (L.R.W., formerly), Pacific Health Research Institute (L.R.W., H.P.), University of Hawaii at Manoa (L.R.W., H.P., G.W.R., K.M., J.H.)

427.73 KB[/quote]

[quote=“westonaprice.org”] Soy and the Brain - The Weston A. Price Foundation

April 28, 2004 By John MacArthur

“Tofu Shrinks Brain!” No science fiction scenario, this sobering soybean revelation is for real. But how did the “poster bean” of the ’90s go wrong? Apparently, in many ways–none of which bode well for the brain.

In a major ongoing study involving 3,734 elderly Japanese-American men, those who ate the most tofu during midlife had up to 2.4 times the risk of later developing Alzheimer’s disease. As part of the three-decade long Honolulu-Asia Aging Study, 27 foods and drinks were correlated with participants’ health. Men who consumed tofu at least twice weekly had more cognitive impairment than those who rarely or never ate the soybean curd.[/quote]

Don’t shoot the messenger :wink:

Only ones I can find on that is all at cracknut health websites.

Still, I may have just missed actual scientific article. Any links?

You’re taking the piss. Right, Rolf?

Please tell me that after all the effort I put into composing my original post, you’re not seriously struggling to find the four links I’ve already pointed you at. Are you?

I mean, the four above links aren’t broken are they?

A word of advice, friend. Do yourself a favor and cut down on the soy for a while. Then after you’ve seen your neurologist, come back, read the original post (slowly) and try clicking again.

Thanks for your support though, Rolf.

Oh the irony! LOL!

Nah just very tied that time. lol. Sorry.

Please don’t be sorry, sir. In fact, I’m sorry for you, that you’ve publicly failed your first cognitive assessment :wink:

Misleading title. You aren’t even asking a question and if I were to answer it, I can be certain you ain’t gonna like it.

Those citations were hilarious, thanks. :joy:

Your reaction of nervous laughter is telling.

So, your best answer to a serious question about a suspected risk of Alzheimer’s, is that illogical, self-contradicting comment and a goofy internet meme of a serial rapist that has nothing to do with the discussion???

Lookit, kid. People with a certain degree of maturity and with optimal cognitive function, contribute to a discussion with mature, cogent comments and intelligent questions.

Immature people on the other hand — with impaired cognitive function — when they find themselves at a loss for a rational response, invariably resort to petulant diversionary tactics.

Me being the obvious mature one out of the two of us, I feel a certain sense of duty to clue you in to the reality that even you would eventually learn after you’ve witnessed it in zillions of other internet forums: By answering a serious question with goofball gifs and whatnot to make yourself and other goofballs laugh, you’re only embarassing yourself.

The irony is, your efforts to troll this thread are actually making the case for soy’s potentially degenerative effects on the brain! LOL!

One advantage that your adolescence gives you however, is that if you cut down on the soy now while you’re still a teenager, there’s a good chance your brain might recover at some point in the future from whatever damage that’s already been wrought.

Let me give you some advice a wise friend once gave me.

The article linked below on the Harvard School of Public Health’s website mentions the “Brain Aging and Midlife Tofu Consumption” paper that I think is cited twice in the first post (and at least one other time in one of the other links) as part of its section on “Memory and Cognitive Function”.

The impression I get is that more studies are needed to say for sure one way or the other if there’s an impact from consuming soy alone (while not being deficient in B-12 or something like that).

This doesn’t really answer the question in the title since I’m not tracking my cognitive functioning / brain aging – and I’m not really even sure how I’d do that (I’m open to suggestions though); but I haven’t really noticed any changes in the 1+ years since I’ve stopped eating meat and started getting most of my protein through beans, quinoa, soy (some of it from Soylent), and other sources. Admittedly I do also take supplements as well so I’m not deficient in B-12 and other things that vegetarians/vegans might be more likely to be deficient in.

The abcnews link takes me to a sketchy website …any reason?
abc could have retracted that page after finding out about the emergent truth about soy and its safety or the page never existed.
Yes, There have been some studies disproving gravity too (many), that is the beauty of science. they let people do their studies with their own methodology but it needs to be aligned with majority of the research and then and then only there is scientific emergent truth

What is reliable? what is not reliable.

stop spreading misinformation or false information or as per 2017 standards
’Alternative Facts’

There is enough of nonsense studies about climate science/pollutants as it is

So you suspect institutions such as Harvard, the National Institute of Aging of the USA and PubMed of publishing and citing “nonsense studies”?

Institutions like those are probably unknown in your part of the world. That would explain a lot about your response. But in the first world, they’re unanimously regarded as some of the most reliable sources of information on the planet!

Parroting trendy memes such as “Alternative Facts” is just another form of circle jerkery in my opinion. By jumping on that bandwagon, you’re obviously applying the 2017 monkey-see-monkey-say “standard” of automatically dismissing as “unreliable”, any and all information that dispels whatever illusions you’ve constructed in your own mind.

The beauty of the internet is that once a piece of information is out there, it’s out there forever. Somewhere or another.

So if you ever learn how to use the real internet [as opposed to Twitter and Facebook] you could easily find other verbatim copies of the 20/20-published FDA scientists’ letter on hundreds of other sites that meet your own criteria for “reliability”.

But if you’re asking me to give you the reason why the letter that 20/20 originally published on the abcnews site, now results in a 404 16 years later. How would I know!?!?!

All I can tell you is this: You’re free to imagine in your own mind that the FDA scientists’ letter is no longer on the abcnews site, for whatever fairytale reason that assuages your anxiety about the suspected risks of a diet of nothing but soy drinks.

You can’t say you haven’t been warned.

The first paper examines the correlation between tofu consumption and cognitive functioning. We can’t ignore the result, but at the same time we can’t jump to conclusions. Their regression model is too simplistic to determine any causation. First of all, we have to take into account the relationship of tofu diet with other types of foods. Perhaps maybe, in Japanese diet, people who eat more tofu tend to substitute animal protein with vegetable protein in their diet. You can’t simply take one item in their diet, and make conclusions about how that item affects brain aging, you have to model their entire diet pattern to understand truly the causation. I’m still cautious of too much soy consumption, but at the same time, IT DOESNT kill you and it tastes well with sushi, so nope still going to consume soy.

Also keep in mind that their test population is one of the healthiest populations on earth, with a life expectancy of 83.59. Soy is a large part of their diet, so don’t look at it from a narrow lens.

There’s no nervous laughter, friend. Your negativity and condescension is out of place here.

Im a CS Major and i perfectly understand the value of pubmed etc but there is no scientific consensus on soy’s impact on cognitive functioning and studies on soy are not exactly in their early stages. The harvard link posted Leerspace clearly debunks 2 of your links and they cited the same information saying other studies didn’t corroborate that study and another study about hawaii women.
still no ABC article . it is clearly retracted/deleted and as the science on daily tofu recommendation is pretty clear on AMA website. so if you want to point to someone as first world country. remember which country is out of the paris agreement. soylent is pretty much available only in US and canada and i tried soylent for 6 months straight before the 1.6 debacle. If you have misinformation to spread then why don’t you try facebook where people don’t check sources. I am not shooting the messenger am i
That shit doesn’t work with me
I read the harvard link and the study’s consensus before posting the comment and if i really want to get into this i have a friend who teaches at kansas university medical center that can read up that study and give me his opinion but it is pretty clear in the harvard link that reads [ Memory and cognitive function

A few studies have raised the possibility that eating soy could help prevent the age-related loss of memory or decline in thinking skills.

Trials have yielded contradictory results, with one showing a benefit for soy, (15) and others showing no benefit. (16-19)
Other studies suggest that too much soy could lead to memory problems. Among older women of Japanese ancestry living in Hawaii, those who relied on the traditional soy-based diet were more likely to have cognitive problems than those who switched to a more Western diet. (20) This finding, which has yet to be confirmed by other long-term studies, could result from excessive intake of phytoestrogens or inadequate intake of something found in animal products, such as vitamin B-12.
Finally, there’s no evidence that pills containing isoflavones extracted from soybeans offer benefits, and some studies raise concerns about harmful side effects.]

Sorry bud i really don’t like spreading misinformation
It is obvious for humans to align towards something they think is true and thats why fake news was spread more than sourced articles.

First, make an appointment to see a neurologist.

In the meantime, read up on assessing cognitive functioning.

Whatever you do, don’t deceive yourself into trusting the efficacy of any of these…

• Brain Training Games/Apps
  • Unscientific/Anecdotal Self-analysis
  • Any non-clinical assessment approach that does not take at least 2 years (4 years is good)
  • Biased, anecdotal testimonials of extraordinarily passionate soy drink customers in a circle jerk relationship with yourself

Hah. I didn’t fully read the Harvard paper, but it confirms my suspicions upon reading the first paper that it might have something to do with a shortage of intake on other nutrition found in animal products.

The problem with these studies is that their test populations are not statistically significant. It would require a diverse range of cultures, not just the Japanese. There can be cultural aspects that the studies don’t account for such as the kinds of activities the elderly of those particular cultural groups does. It is possible that the activities lack in physical exercise, reading, critical thinking, etc contributes to memory decline. Interestingly, it so happens that the group also consumes more soy… This makes the statistical result less significant…

That is the whole definition of scientific consensus. That is why junk science or one/few studies is not a consensus and while we can all be skeptical of long term Soy consumption. Until there is real reason to worry. I wouldn’t go paranoid over one study and stop my soy-milk intake everyday.