Is DIY soylent potentially more dangerous than a bad diet?

I’m looking at starting liquid cake but I’m hesitating due to being worried that it might not be healthy or I might harm myself.

At the same time, I seem to have little regard for how safe my current diet of fast food and chocolate with very little vegetables.

I know this question can have no absolute answer but is my perception of risk way off from actual risk? I.e. is it far more likely that a DIY soylent having a micronutrient slightly too high or too low is going to cause much less harm than a generally bad diet?

Very interested in other’s opinion on this.

The original Soylent also started as DIY which was tested and gradually improved by laymen. You probably are currently experiencing a more serius malnutrition due to the fast food & chocolate than you would while testing DIY recipies. Just listen to your body. If that is too risky for you, use medically approved products or go visit a doctor once a month to check on you while testing DIY.

I may be biased, as someone who has been making DIY for the past few months and recently started selling it to other people, but no.

I’m almost certain that DIY soylent is much less dangerous than a bad diet. Experimenting with DIY has shown me just how messed up the nutrition is for the food that most people eat.

Given that your recipe is all “in the green” I’d say you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. :wink: Just listen to your body.

Ingredients ordered. The adventure has begun.

the main thing I would pay attention to is being precise with your ingredients. The recipe is all in the green, but that doesn’t help if you measure wrong and add too much of something.

There’s obviously some danger to it. But as long as you don’t make the jump with both feet until you’re sure of your recipe, you should be fine. Assuming you’re a normal human being.

@maxwe789 Look at the DRI’s of various DIY’s to get a better idea.

Blindly accepting someone else’s recipe could be just as bad as a bad muggle food diet. There is nothing stopping an author of a recipe from entering incorrect or fictitious nutritional information for the ingredients.

I know, but what can we do if they do that? Its people like some among us who are also partly to blame too. Whenever somebody questions or asks for testing or correct information if there is something genuinely off with a product, some people immediately rush to defend the said product. Ofcourse this doesnt mean people should do wrong questioning of a product like a recently joined candidate here, but genuine questions are also taken a du*p on sometimes.

When I came up with my recipes I copied an existing recipe and meticulously double checked the nutritional info on the ingredients. (and still got one wrong)