Is it possible to invest in Soylent (Rosa Labs)

I am interested in investing directly into Rosa Labs. Is this possible? If so, then how do I go about it?

Since they are not a publicly traded company and still in venture rounds of funding, you would need to be an accredited investor for it to be possible for you to invest.

If you were an accredited investor, then the next step would be if they were actively seeking investment. (Someone in management at the company would have to answer this for you.) If they were, they would likely be seeking it from an individual or venture capital fund that had enough capital to fund a large amount. (Their last funding was from a venture capital fund for $20 million for comparison–if they needed further investment for growth, they would likely be looking for something in the tens of millions of dollars.)

So, if you are a high net worth individual, you would already likely know how to invest in companies like this. If you have enough money, I would suggest looking at a venture fund where you can pool your money (and risk) with other individuals for ventures like this. The minimum to join most venture funds is $500,000 to $1 million of investment capital that you will be investing.

I’ve invested quite a bit in Rosa Labs.

Emotionally…

Thank you for the reply. I’m not a high net worth investor. I just simply know a good bet when I see it and this whole “food replacement” industry is on the cusp of exploding imo. I wish I had enough capital to get into this pre IPO. This is going to be huge in a few years.

If I were ever to invest in a company in this field, I would be picking someone who was destined to do the retail play rather than the online ordering play. I think that the replacement, full nutrition meal replacement is going to be a really big thing. However, Soylent with its commitment to single-SKU and online-order mechanism is not going to be the winner. Their competitors are already providing multiple products in multiple flavors.

Once Soylent has proof of concept(which they certainly do) and manufacturing is scaled, this could be in Walmart/Costco overnight. This is going to be HUGE.

Thank you for the high level of faith you place in us. :smiley:

I doubt that they scale back their single investments after already getting VC money. About 1.5 Years ago I already tried. Rob and Julio didn’t want a sub 100k investment it seems.

Very early stage investing is called angel investing. You could look into that if you wished. There are tons of companies out there which vie for investment dollars, and at the angel round of investment, even something as small as several 10’s of thousands of dollars can make a difference. (These are usually companies that are still working on proof of concept.)

There are groups of angel investors which pool money to negate risk as well. Some people even like the added risk/reward associated with the angel round of investment versus the later more proven rounds. It just depends on the individual investor.

Generally, the earlier a company is in their lifecycle, the more risk is associated with said company, and therefore more return is required by an investor. Valuation of early-stage startups is something I have had experience in in the past.

I agree.

Yes, the competitors are providing multiple products in multiple flavors. But, they aren’t making a move into retail yet, as far as I know. All the competitors are committed to online ordering. I also speculate that RL will move to multiple products/flavors in the future.

I further speculate (though more hesitantly), that RL will eventually make a play for retail. Perhaps they have even been laying the groundwork for the last year and beyond. Regardless, if anyone does break into retail, I have to think RL is the frontrunner.

I don’t think we know who is going to be the front runner. It probably is an entity that isn’t even on our radar yet. This wouldn’t be the first time that a major technology is developed, but then taken into full mass production by a different entity. Ford was not the first car manufacturer, Microsoft was not the first in software, Google wasn’t the first search engine.

Joylent seems to be moving into retail going by an earlier post

We don’t know who will be the eventual winner. That’s why I peppered my post with “speculate” and “if” and “I think.”

RL is the frontrunner. The frontrunner doesn’t always win, of course.

(Useless trivia: Ford wasn’t the first car manufacturer, but Karl Benz did manufacture the first internal combustion engine car. Daimler AG (owner of Merceds-Benz is ranked ahead of Ford in global sales). :blue_car:

In Spain.

I hope it succeeds. I agree with @EveB that retail is key to long-term success of soylent.

I think RL is focusing on R&D, as the name would imply. Rushing into retail is sloppy, better left for amatuer copycats that haven’t nearly optimized their formulas.

Edit: Added “I think” before everyone flips out.

According to @rob’s AMA reddit, there are no plans to go retail:

The vision in terms of availability is convenience and ubiquity with minimal impact.

Traditional retail is horribly inefficient and inconvenient. The energy they waste on refrigeration alone is unconscionable. And putting warehouses and parking lots in the middle of cities? What a waste.

It is a better experience to press a button on your phone and have Soylent delivered in minutes. Or we may have futuristic milkmen drop off the day’s supply early in the morning. Or drone delivery. But what I’m most excited about is putting railguns on skyscraper rooftops worldwide and shooting products straight in to people’s hands.

I think that quick delivery is actually quite inappropriate for a product with the long shelf life that the current Soylent has. Wagon train would be more appropriate, or six months at sea via Cape Horn.

Changing back on-topic: you’d think one could invest in powdered or scientifically assembled food without betting on Rosa Labs itself. I have no idea what companies to pick on who would actually manufacture the food of the future.