Is Soylent a luxury product?

Would you mind sharing with us, what a typical month groceries look like for $80 / month. I am upwards of at least $200 per month, but then I am not as frugle as I should be. Also the $65 / week I believe is 2000 kcal per day times 7 days is 14,000 kcal per week. Since I consume about 1,400 per day, the weekly pack should last me 10 days.

john

Yeah, they kept emphasizing their intent for this product and what it was suppose to do for society at large in several videos, they look very deceitful now.
As it turned out it’s basically just for single, rich hipsters.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

If that’s your conclusion, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

And then there are people like myself.

30 day month.
22 working days, 8 weekend days.

Working Days
Breakfast, skipped, or an apple/poptart/strawberries. I don’t want to spend time making breakfast. $1/day.
Lunch at work, anything nearby from $10 mongolian grill to $3 at McDonalds. Average, $6/day.
Post work meal, usually something in the realm of rice, carrots, ramen. Average $1/day.
Dinner, depending on my mood, I’ll have pork chops, small cheap steak cuts, maybe make some chili if I want to be cost efficient and cheap, but otherwise, at $1 a chop and I eat 2, I’ll use this as the “cheapest” baseline. $2/day.
Snacks (Lychee jellies, mints, a donut, carrots, mixed nuts, chips) adds in around $1/day.
Drinks - Included in lunch, however I buy once per week a $2-3 jug of some juice and cut it with half-water. $.5/day
Total per day: Approximately $11.50/day, by 22 working days - $253 a month.

Weekends
Breakfast - Boatloads of egg, peppers, cheese, meats in an omlette or scrambled eggs is a staple, if not 3 porkchops: $3/day
Lunch - microwave burritos, oven made pizza, or just heading out to a local place for a $5 meal. Avg $3/day.
Dinner - Pot roast, more pork chops, rice, chicken, whatever looks good at the time and I have desire to make. Avg $3/day.
Snacks, we’ll go with $1/day.
Average: approximately $10/day by 8 weekend days, $80.

This comes to $333 per month I spend, on an average, per month. This also doesn’t include impulse buys here and there (hotdog at the gas station, soda from the machine at work, and so on) which can slide this higher. This is also my own expense. I sometimes nibble on my roomies food supplies and they nibble on mine.

I have been waiting patiently for Soylent for a long time now so that I can reduce the amount of money I spend, the amount of time I spend, and increase the health benefits of the meals I do have. Sometimes it’s about what good a product will do for more people than just yourself at the time. Automobiles were once only owned by the rich and powerful, now they’re ubiquitous. Bicycles even fit this when they were first being created. It’s all perspective and time.

Just as a comparison point for you guys. For someone like me, it will be extremely beneficial. Once it’s been around and price continues to come down, it’ll hopefully help many people the world over. What you want to define it as is your decision. A luxury to me is just a daily whatever for people over my pay grade.

Thanks. :blush:

My time spent lurking on these forums before posting has shown me a nice spread of professions and lifestyles, so I can’t agree with the assessment that this product is only for rich hipsters. But, in the UK I can categorically state they will be the only people who buy it, while us mere plebs will have to wait years for the price to come down. If it ever does, as I have already expressed my worry that it being seen as cheap in the US may prevent this.

On the other hand, it is hardly fair to tar us with the same brush as the soylent doubters and dismiss us with glib comments. This forum is filled with ‘soylent isn’t for everyone’ despite that being the opposite of the company’s message. We very much want it to be for us too and are worried it might take a very long time, if ever, for that to be the case. We are bummed out and venting is all.

I will actually buy Soylent when it comes out to EU countries, 2 months worth, just to see what it will do to me but won’t buy it regularly until the price per month is at least $100.

Current price is extreme, it is practically more than 80% of all of my utility bills combined(water, heating, electricity, internet…). Just that says it all about the price

So… just as a note here, they’ve mentioned that one of their definite plans is to use some amount of profits to be able to provide Soylent considerably under-cost to places it would actually make a quality-of-life impact (3rd world, developing countries, etc). Not all of their “help society” was about making it cheap for you and me – that’s a goal, yes, but not the only one.

And again – don’t assume everyone is in the same situation as you. You have a pretty great setup for groceries. I know how to shop for good computer parts without spending a lot, but I don’t say that Dell is owned by scalpers, and buying pre-built computers is only for the wealthy (and no, that’s not a perfect analogy, but the point is there).

Some people will pay less for Soylent, either because of higher cost of living, or because they aren’t good at shopping.
Some people will pay more for Soylent, but will consider it worth it because they are getting better nutrition.
Some people get great nutrition on a budget, and don’t really need Soylent. That’s awesome. Seriously, no sarcasm, go you – balancing health and cost is hard, and it’s a really valuable skill to have.
But that doesn’t mean that everyone not in that third category is a “single rich hipster”. It means Soylent works better for them than what they have now, in nutrition and/or cost. And as @gnoway and @jrowe47 put it, luxury is relative to your own personal situation. Change your perspective, and you could start calling smartphones/wireless internet/cars/running water “for single rich hipsters”.

And to be fair, I do agree that the price is higher than expected - I paid something like $235 for my month in the initial campaign, and now it’s up to $255. And I’m hoping the market-analysis-stabilization-etc settles down soon too. I’m just of the opinion that perhaps negative 1.5 months into their very first ever market run is just a tad early to be passing definitive judgement on a company’s potential future pricing plans :slight_smile:

I almost forgot, as I don’t engage in any physical activity, just sit at my computer all day long, would just one Soylent intake per day be enough so that the exorbitant $260 price would extend to 2 months?
Which would still be $50 over what I currently spend for food per month…

I am curious if you are saying $80USD or $80 in some EU currency. I am also wondering if some countries have cheaper food due trade or government subsidy.

Actually, yeah. Maybe not as little as one serving, but it has been stated that even as little as half a bag should be fine for macro/micro balance, as long as you listen to your body. So most people are going to get more value from Soylent than the list price. For context, I believe one day’s bag is 2200cal.

From the Ars Technica series on Soylent a month or two back:

The included amounts have some breathing room such that even 1/2-2/3 of consumption should be plenty. Just use your body’s built-in mechanisms for hunger and you should feel fine

Do you think there will be resellers of Soylent from US?
I still don’t understand why they won’t ship internationally or at least in EU countries. It’s a light-weight powder packaged in small sealed containers, what’s the problem exactly?

If some individual buys Soylent for the purpose of shipping it to EU, let me know.

You can get it shipped internationally. You can have your Soylent (and eat it to) in any country on the planet. I think. Not so sure about North Korea.

It says “US only”…

It says "US-only for now, International availability mid-2014"
You’ll be able to get Soylent anywhere in the world, mid-2014. I believe the reason for the international delay is logistics.

Well, you forget they are shipping Soylent in one month packages. ±500 grams per daily package, makes a 15 kilo monthly supply! That is one large package.

Besides that, they do not have the producing capacity to extend shipping to the rest of the world, yet.

I will try Soylent when it comes to Europe. I might even be happier with the delay, anything can happen between now and then: better formula, decrease in price, and much more feedback, especially from non-beta, non-journalist consumers.

That and if every government has a Food and Drug Administration board with different required tests and results it may take some time. I cant speak for FDA like approvals for various countries but there is an EU standard or electronic devices, an FCC standard, Japanese standard, etc. that electronic devices must pass before its allowed to be sold and shipped to said country.

You guys who are complaining about soylent being expensive compared to groceries should be grateful for how cheap your groceries are. I live in Canada and soylent is super cheap compared to my grocery bill. Eating healthy means lots of veggies, fruit, and meat which are all very expensive. If you wanted to live off just pasta, beans, rice and eggs then you could eat cheap. Even if soylent were $1000 a month it would still be worth it for me. I usually work 6-8 months a year but when Im working its usually 7 days a week, 10-12 hours a day. I turn down extra hours all the time so that I have time when I get home to cook so I have food for the next day. Everytime I turn down staying for 2 more hours I miss out on $180 pay. It is money wise better for me to work the extra hours and then just eat out and not cook but I did that before and by the end of the job I was very overweight.

As a counter point. I think it is incredibly cheap. I can spend in excess of $400 a week on food and I love food. However I dont need every meal to be a foodies wet dream. I see soylent as a way for me to eat at 3 star Michelin restaurants more because I save more on the meals that I wont remember anyway. :wink:

If I can spend the same I do now that means on my same budget I can eat fine dining twice a week. High end sushi 4 times a week or at ultra high end fine dining ($400 for 1 person) 1x a week. That to me is amazing.

God this sounds cheap to me.
I’m in grad school, and rarely have time to cook.
Breakfast is cereal ($1), and I bring a sandwich and fruit for lunch ($2), but as I’m rarely home at a “normal” dinner time I’m not able to cook much, meaning dinner’s almost always bought from the whole foods around the corner from my lab ($7). That’s $300 a month for food.

I’m looking forward to Soylent as a dinner-in-lab substitute, as it will be cheaper, healthier and faster than what I normally eat!