Is Soylent catching on?

It could catch on faster if it cost less than the current $3.xx per bottle, where 1 bottle is 1/5-1/6th of a day’s calorie intake. :man_shrugging:t2:

But would it? Unfortunately, I think RF has correctly calculated how much people are willing to pay.

Agreed. And if RL makes it $0.10 per bottle, I can see it really catch on faster!

But seriously, this is an argument made ad nauseam. Some people think $15/day for food is expensive, other markets find $15/day more than reasonable.

Do you spend $450 a month to feed just yourself? I have a family of 3 and that is about 3/4 our food budget. I use Soylent during the day so I cut out expensive take out breakfast and lunch and I use the powder. So about a 100 comes off the top. The rest of the family has breakfast oatmeal/ceareal, tuna/cold cuts for lunch and we all have a dinner meal together. But if we all did Soylent 2.0 for 100% of our nutrition, that would be $1350.00 worth of Soylent, I just don’t see that as sustainable. The powder maybe more so, that would be about $800.00 a month for all of us, still stretching it a bit.

Unfortunately, I think that RF abandoned the 100% consumption model some time ago. They never assume that or talk about it any more. So basing calculations on families consuming all Soylent is no longer realistic. I recently made room for 2.0 in my budget by stopping buying 100% powdered a month and instead started buying $200+ a month of 2.0 and buying regular food the rest of the time.

So, think of Soylent as being a particularly good jolt of balanced nutrition, worth a premium.

I would like it if we returned to the old crusade for all-round better food, but I think that RF has abandoned that cause.

The entire reason I became interested in Soylent in the first place is that they were making a product that people could live off and no other company had the guts to make such a claim.

Except for some of the media that was trying to make Soylent look bad, it was understood that you didn’t have to eat it every meal, if you didn’t want to do so.

I suppose now that they are successful, they are concerned about getting sued. Though I don’t believe they have taken a position on the specific maximum number of bottles/meals one can drink a day.

People that are really into Soylent still appear to be eating 10% to 20% non-Soylent.

Not sure if it is unfortunate, but I completely agree: RF is oriented to selling CPG, “Consumer Packaged Goods”, and they are marketing their CPG as a “lifestyle” product, one that fits the self-image of a certain demographic. Price is not an important consideration for “lifestyle” products.

Is Soylent catching on?

Here, sort of. A few people I work with expressed interest. I gave them each a bottle, and all of them liked it. Until they found out the price. Nobody else at work buys it themselves, but a few of them buy it from me, lol - they are older and “don’t like shopping online” and so I buy a few extra boxes with my sub and pass 'em along. (at cost, no profit for me) I’d buy more for myself, but I can’t afford it.

Essentially, I’m saying that if the people I got to try it liked it, then it could catch on here [edit: western Canada] quite easily, but only if it were cheaper and/or available in a “brick & mortar”.

Neither can I!

I would take powder on hikes. Liquid’s too heavy.

But in my fantasies about hiking more of the Pacific Crest Trail, I mail some bottles of 2.0 ahead to my supply points (mainly post offices along the route) along with powdered. I can stand carrying four bottles of liquid once in awhile!

We’ve done this for hikers in the past in exchange for fun pictures and detailed accounting.

Soylent is hands down my favorite backpacking food, not only is it super light and cheap( especially when compared to those insanely expensive mountain house meals), but it does a good job at filling you up without making you feel stuffed.

Only downside is that its not really feasible to serve hot, and a hot meal for dinner after a day of backpacking is a glorious thing, so I always pack some normal food for dinners

If you subscribe to the powder, like I do, then it is pretty economical - less than $2 per 500 calorie serving. It is the best priced of the meal replacements that I know of. Jimmy Joy costs about the same and is a very similar product, but you need to pay for shipping from Holland. Others I have looked at cost quite a bit more, so I haven’t bothered to try them, althou some of them are made from organic seeds and whatnot. A couple of others (like Shmilk) require you to add cow milk, which I don’t want to do. So I’m sticking with Soylent!

Disregard please, responded to wrong post

Soylent is $7.71 per 2000 calorie serving whilst Jimmy Joy works out to $5.94 per 2000 calorie serving (including the €10 cost of shipping to the US). I’d say Jimmy Joy is an inferior product (marginally), but it’s incorrect to say they’re about the same price.

Also Schmilk can also be mixed with other milks like soy or almond.

I like your story about your co-workers! So they would buy it if it was selling for $1.50 at Tim Horton’s. I have given it to several people - a whole bunch actually - and while some found it interesting and/or amusing, none have become regular users that I know of. E.g. - “That stuff you eat” (my overweight sister’s words). People are very attached to their eating habits. I’m guessing most Soylent customers are driven to it by something they want to change in their lives - they want more free time, or they are having some health problems, or they want an inexpensive, efficient option for lunch.

Me personally, it’s about having easy healthy food available when I need it. So I don’t end up ordering junk food. I am really bad at buying healthy food / stocking my fridge/freezer. So a fridge full of bottles is perfect for me :slight_smile: (using a European alternative atm)

I was 100% Soylent for pretty close to a year. It’s the perfect product for me. But I quit cold turkey when I they raised the price for Canadians. I did the math and found that 2.0 is $5 a bottle and 2 big macs are $5. After that instead of reaching for a bottle I will go for a walk to McDonalds. That got me half way, the other half was I started eating cereal. I pour a bowl of healthy flakes and add a scoop of protein powder. Cost me $2.5. For $7.5 I can eat lazy, instead of the $25 that Rosa wants me to pay. If I want to eat healthy I can add a multivitamin for .15.

The one person I got onto Soylent did the same as me. As soon as the price went up she quit. She was using it as a “weight-loss” diet. She’d go 100% soylent for a month and lose 15 lbs then go back to food.

The only time Soylent still has a place in when I go camping. Since I still like Soylent itself I can stomach paying $90 for a week of powder. Prepacked backpacking food is roughly double powdered Soylent. And Soylent has the benefit of a no-stove option.

When it’s cold and I can’t have a fire I like to bring tea so I can have something warm.

Have you considered DIY soylent? You won’t get the same quality, but it is usable. It’s also not a good idea if grit bothers you. The biggest problem is getting the ingredients. I was eating (in the US) for under $5 a day. You need a scale that can weigh small amounts (about $10 on Amazon) and a bowl big enough to mix up whatever you need. I did this up unit Soylent 1.6 (first version that didn’t cause me death farts).

Yep, pretty much! :laughing: Seriously, though, if it were available at grocery and convenience stores, sales would shoot up here; even more so if it were cheaper.