Is Soylent catching on?

I was thrilled when I discovered Soylent years ago on Youtube, I think this video by MotherboardTV. I don’t know if the link works, I just checked the link and Youtube stalls with a mostly blank page.

I’ve always been sold on the concept of making good food easy to get and prepare. The powdered food described was to be environmentally friendly, healthy, has a reasonable shelf-life, easy to prepare and a complete meal replacement that is nearly ready to eat. Also there is very little waste, very little clean up and very little garbage. Also Soylent would help some social problems in getting food to the poor and I think it would be also helpful in disaster relief.

Over the years I tried the powdered Soylent and liked the idea using it as an occasional meal replacement and use it in creative recipes. A box of 7 pouches would last about two months and could be used for a number of ideas ranging from the basic Soylent and water to adding flavors to mixing with milk/soy milk to making Soylent ice cream and a couple experiments with frozen peanut butter and soylent bars. Also I tried cookies and pancakes but it didn’t work because Soylent burns if cooked or baked. I had hoped the Soylent bar in the eye-catching white-box-soylent-emblem wrapper would be seen in the checkout lane at the grocery store.

But lately the direction of Rosa Labs / Rosa Foods seems to gone the way of the bottled Soylent. The bottled Soylents seem to be available at more venders than the powdered food is. Since the price went up I got boxes of bottled Soylent instead of the powdered Soylent. A problem for me with the bottle is that when I get lazy it’s too easy to grab a nice cold Soylent bottle, and I end up drinking the whole bottle every time. A box of 12 or 2.4 days supply of bottled Soylent lasts me only about a week. Using 2.4 days worth of the powered food lasts me 4.1 weeks. (This calculated from use of 7-day box of powdered food usually would last me about 12 weeks). The reason the powder last longer is I can control the portion size, and sometimes use small amounts in coffee or a little bit to hold me over while food is cooking.

So the problem with the bottle for me is I use it up more quickly, I consume more calories and I spend more money. I’m mostly concerned about the extra calories. So I don’t buy Soylent very often now. But the market seems to move toward what people buy - money speaks louder than words. So it’s very understandable why Rosa Foods works to bring more of the bottled Soylent to the market because it sells. I have moved on to other solid foods, but I’m watching and waiting for the Soylent bars and hope to see the plain Soylent power easily available and affordable.

Hi GFS, and thanks for your comments. If you get 5 bags at a time, JJ costs more than Soylent. Maybe if you get 30 bags at a time it is the price you mention. And I’m wondering - what makes JJ marginally inferior?

So Schmilk can be mixed with nondairy milks? I don’t recall seeing that on the website. Wouldn’t that change the nutritional composition?

We have a lot of powder products in the works. We are a small company so we can only handle a few products at a time. Powder will have a retail rollout but it will not be in the pouches, it will be in the Tub format. We are not abandoning pouches but they are just vastly more economical to run on our own website. Honestly our new powder flavors taste incredible.

You could try making your own. Some people do that. I can’t be bothered and I think the USA price is reasonable, but you could try it. I think there is a website - is it called Blend Runner?

I don’t see that happening in New York. There would have to be a big marketing campaign. Videos of rappers and athletes prancing around drinking colorful bottles of Soylent. Scientist in lab coats sitting at computers discussing its virtues. Otherwise people would think it is some sort of “welfare food” and avoid it, like the notorious government cheese from a couple of decades back.

Ah I see, that makes sense, I always compare with the lowest price available.

Jimmy Joy uses more maltodextrin than I’d like and some of the micronutrient forms are pretty poor - Soylent’s aren’t the best, but they are better.

Apparently so, it’s been formulated very precisely. You need more non-dairy milk than dairy for the same calorie content as they’re less calorie dense, but it does cover the micronutrient bases.

Interesting, and thanks for that info. Imo the bottles taste good, but are more expensive, require more packaging, and are not in the size I want.

I now will not try to make the soylent pancakes I sometimes think about. How did the ice cream turn out?