Is Soylent gluten free?

And if not, would it be feasible to have a gluten-free version using alternative ingredients?

As far as I can tell, it should be.

I’m making my own version, and I’m a celiac. It will obviously be gluten free, though most of the basic ingredients don’t contain any wheat based products so it shouldn’t generally be an issue.

Yes Soylent is gluten free. It is also kosher, halal, and vegetarian, and a separate vegan version will be released.

edit 6/06/14: this was based on an older version. Soylent is vegetarian but does contain fish oil. While no ingredients by nature contain gluten a preliminary test has shown gluten present at around the FDA limit of 20ppm, likely from the oats. We are working on sourcing certified GF oats but for now cannot claim to be fully GF.

It’s not sexy, but liquid food will change EVERYTHING. Here’s why
Kosher certification

How about lactose and fructose, as quite some people have problems with those…
(also consider fructose as a part of larger carbohydrates)

I wonder if soylent will be one of those things like fat loss is for the overweight - namely they have multiple health problems, with different names and different medications, then upon losing the weight they all go away. Perhaps just by itself soylent will over time eliminate some of our sensitivities to certain ingredients (I myself for instance am using whey isolate exclusively, for my skin). I’d be very interested to know.

Nicklbak, regular whey protein contains lactose. If Soylent is using that, it’s not lactose free. Whey isolate contains little to no lactose, but it’s more expensive. A vegan version would have to use a non-dairy protein source like hemp or brown rice, so that would definitely be lactose free. Personally, I’m using egg protein because it seems a bit cheaper than whey isolate.

Soylent shouldn’t have any fructose as the carbs come entirely from maltodextrin, but I don’t know how that breaks down, so I can’t say for sure.

@JonathanMcClare: Yeah @rob has already stated he intends to have a vegan version here http://discourse.soylent.me/discourse/t/is-soylent-vegetarian-vegan/383

I think Soylent’s potential to be customized for individual needs is probably it’s greatest strength. I’ve been told to try a gluten-free diet but have never been able to keep it going for prolonged periods of time – I have mild crohn’s disease so I’m super excited to see if Soylent can help me get the nutrients I need without inflaming my digestive system (I’m pretty optimistic it will succeed since Soylent removes some of nature’s barriers for absorbing the nutrients). The relative ease of modifying your formula opens so many doors for diagnostic purposes – not necessarily diagnosing a specific condition, but simply seeing what your body can and can’t handle etc.

Is the lactose part of the protein used for Soylent really that high?
@JonathanMcClare What do you think how much lactose roughly there is in a daily dose?

According to wikipedia, unprocessed cow milk is 4.7% lactose. Regular whey is more than 70% lactose.

Apparently, whey isolate is almost lactose free and fine even for lactose intolerant people. I don’t have any kind of reliable source on that though.

As for Soylent, the last full breakdown I’ve seen stated that all of the protein comes from regular whey. I don’t know what Rob’s plans are for the future commercial product. Regular whey is probably the cheapest way to supply the protein, but most people should not be consuming it daily.

wow, thanks for the facts!

This might turn out as a suprise for Rob, if these statistics are true.

I know that in blue countries, every milk product is made from lactose free milk in the first place so the people don’t actually have a problem with supermarket food, not even notice that they cannot buy milk products in other countries.

Maybe for Soylent, regular whey can be used but made from lactose free milk like in southern Europe, Asia etc. so it would contain 70% Galactose and Glucose, which are the remains of lactose.

Oh and a disclaimer: This is just my knowledge, I might be mistaken at some point!

Here is a more accurate statistic, unfortunately in german.

I’m gluten intolerant and can eat oats that are certified to be gluten free.

To do this they have to grow the oats in their own fields, without rotating wheat in at any point, since leftover wheat kernels from the year before can germinate in an oat crop and contaminate the entire harvest.

The oats also have to be processed on machinery that is never used for processing wheat. Both requirements make these guaranteed oats more expensive than regular oats.

I’m wondering if the oats in the standard version of Soylent will meet these safety requirements. They’ll have to if they want to get an actual gluten free certification. If so, sign me up, I get tired of cooking almost everything from scratch and spending $7 on every loaf of unconvincing ‘bread’.

I was aware that most of the world is lactose intolerant. It’s a fascinating story how fast that mutation spread. I guess it’s really beneficial to make it easier to get nutrition.

We use whey isolate that is free of lactose, and our manufacturer has a test procedure to verify the oats are free of gluten, though we may be dropping oats from the final version entirely.

Though I’m aware that soylent is actually food, I’m perversely hoping the final version doesn’t have oats so soylent contains less “real” (tradational?) food.

If you’re making cheese, the stuff left over might be 70% lactose. No whey protein concentrate is 70% lactose though. A good non-isolate whey shouldn’t be more than 7-8% lactose. If it is, find a better protein powder.

@rob what will be replacing the oats if thats what you end up doing?

I’d vote quinoa or hempseed. Both are extraordinarily nutritious with a mild flavour.

I would love to try Soylent (But I live in the UK :frowning: and you guys don’t deliver!!) as way to deal with my various digestive issues, allergies and intolerance problems. I really don’t know what to eat anymore and even though I keep on eliminating things from my diet, I still have episodes where I feel terribly sick, I throw up violently and feel generally rubbish. So I am quite concerned that I am not giving myself the nutrition I need.
Another issue for me are hormones. As a woman, I struggle with different levels of PMS every month for about 10 days and what I eat influences it A LOT. Hence I’m already taking an array of supplements as a way of balancing them.
I am hoping that by balancing my nutrition I could finally FREE myself from the slavery of food (for me)

Thank you

Know what you mean about the PMS and unpredictable mood swings, I spent 20 years dealing with daily depression, chronic anxiety, panic attacks, asthma attacks and violent mood swings with the social stigma that came with it all, until I stopped eating gluten.

The ‘hormonal’ stuff turned out to be anxiety attacks caused by repeated cycles of gluten poisoning.

I figured out by accident that I’m gluten intolerant when I went on this quinoa and fruit kick for a week one summer. Felt absolutely wonderful right up to the point where I ate a bagel and crashed hard.

The bloody doctors I’d been seeing all those years did me more harm than good with their medicines. Not one of them ever suggested it might be something I ate. I think they spend about two hours on what food does, out of all 10 years of medical school. Ignorant doesn’t even begin to describe the profession as a whole.

Makes eating at restaurants something of an adventure…I call it the “Find the hidden gluten before you order it and poison yourself again” game. Waitstaff have wildly varying familiarity with food allergies and intolerances. I’ve had to point out that bread is made of wheat to more than one confused young server, who had no idea what wheat was.

I can also recommend the nootropic aniracetam, I believe it’s sold as a prescription anti-anxiety drug in europe, it’s very calming, and doesn’t dumb you down like most of the anti-anxiety meds available…

I read somewhere that 75% of the human species has a food intolerance of one kind or another.

thanks for your reply Sandra. I have indeed avoided gluten for quite some time now, but I find its not sufficient for me. There are other things that cause me problems… I tried being a gluten free vegan that doesn’t eat olives (oli etc) or peppers but I found it impossible to also have a life! I’m constantly on business lunches or dinner or drinks or conferences… and I also have a social life that also involves eating out! There’s just no way of avoiding everything, everyday, 3 to 5 times a day!
Hence why I find Soylent appealing! Would love to just say no to eating rubbish food out. “I’m simply not hungry and I have no cravings!”

Hi Lol, I am in the UK too and have a barrage of crappy food allergies, coeliac disease and theoretically fibromyalgia (though i am a cynic about that diagnosis). I am, very slowly, working on my own recipe for a comprehensively allergy friendly formula. I am playing around with making a palatable solid form of bar, grain free but with some natural ingredients. I’m assuming that the additional supplements that are in tablet form could be swallowed whole like at present just to save having to crush up or separate loads of capsules and tablets.
Like you I take a myriad of supplements to manage my symptoms. I haven’t ever got it quite right though, so although I manage to be relatively pain free, I haven’t quite got back to optimum health … which is hopefully where soylent bars will one day come in.
I love this concept, but I think for people like us we have to accept that we will have to work out the balance between normal human needs based on RDAs (if you believe them to be correct) and the higher level of supplementation that an individual may need to be able to function and feel ‘normal’. It will always fall to us to supplement a normal diet or take control and create a personalised version that works for you.