Is Soylent too high in fat?

It seems to me that a low-fat, whole foods, vegan diet is successful in warding off the diseases of modern Western life like heart attacks, obesity and diabetes.

What I’m talking about is a diet as proposed by the likes of Caldwell Esselstyn, T. Colin Campbell, Niel Barnard, Dean Ornish and John McDougall.

This type of diet, in the words of it’s proponent, T- Colin Campbell has a lot of advantages:

Here is a summery of the research in the area: Very Low Fat Diets

Should Soylent reduce it’s fat content to 10 % of calories? What about 15 %, or 20 %?

Vegetarians were twice as likely to have allergies, a 50 percent
increase in heart attacks and a 50 percent increase in incidences of
cancer.
I wouldn’t worry about it, even a healthy diet will kill you…

LINKY

I have seen a lot of research indicating that a low-fat diet is horrible for your health.

Interesting. As always in the science of nutrition: Everything is contradictory, two studies prove the polar opposites and each healthy guru eats differently.

I see two problems with the linked article.

1. A “vegetarian diet” can be many things. It’s not the same as a low-fat, whole foods, vegan diet that I’m asking about.

2. There is great motivation to publish such an article, due to the publics lust for getting back at their annoying vegan friends.

I’d like to take a look at that research. Link?

My entire life I’ve eaten a diet (almost exclusively carbs and some dairy, zero meat or vegetables whatsoever) that absolutely everyone assured me was unhealthy and literally going to kill me any minute now. The only people who have ever disagreed with this… were medical doctors. Their opinion was that my diet was probably better than most people’s and I should just take a multivitamin if I was concerned about anything.

Most “nutrition experts” are in my opinion full of it and espousing only their one opinion as if it were fact.

So you agree with the low-fat, vegan crowd who proposes that 80% of our calories should come from carbohydrates?

This thread talked about it

There was also this

my general understanding of the topic is this:
a high-carb diet is damaging to arteries.
our body uses fats and cholesterol to repair the damage.
so, a low-fat, high carb diet causes a lot of damage that the body now has a hard time repairing, which leads to heart disease

So basically all of the typical health advice to cut down on fats for heart health is exactly the wrong things to do.

he forgot to list more magical things his pills do like cures baldness and grey hair, instantly gets you a raise at work and a date with kate upton. i mean if you’re gonna claim a bunch of BS why not really go for it right

Actually no, I’ve never proposed anything for anyone but myself. That’s the thing about diet… it’s entirely personal. What works for me might not work for anyone else on the planet (though I doubt it). But it has worked for me for 40 years and I’m still in very good overall health, so I’m inclined to say I’m not in any imminent danger from what I eat (or don’t eat), despite what so many still insist to be fact! =)

Maybe I should have mentioned this in the original post. T. Colin Campbell is not talking about a pill, he is talking about a low-fat, whole foods, vegan diet as if it were a pill to contrast it with the real pills and their effects.

Well. You can easily make soylent low fat yourself. Just add less canola oil and add more maltodextrine.

But some people will doubt if this is healthy. The less fat and the more carbs, the less stable your blood sugar will be.
You could also replace some fat with protein. But soylent already has quite some protein.

I don’t think that soylent should really try to push us in any extreme directions. Like very low fat, or low carb or low protein whatever. I think they should make it easier for us to decide for ourself with direction we want to go.

I mean, you come with your experts that tell that we need to eat less fat. Well if we need to eat less fat, we need to replace those calories with carbs or protein. I could point you to some other experts, that claim that carbs are causing you all kind of problems. And that we all should go on some mediterean kind of diet with 30-40% of the calories coming from fat. And I could even find for you some experts that claim that we should go to 60-80% of our calories coming from fat and those calories should come saturated fats such as coconut oil, ghee and butter.

I think soylent is very smart to not going in the extremes. I mean there are just too many different extreme opinions.

Reduce global warming? Really?

The only consistent thing that people seem to say is “eating too much x causes issues”. They all seem to say you should therefore avoid X at all costs, which means replacing it with lots of Y, which in turn leads to “eating too much y causes issues”. People seem to want easy, magic-bullet solutions, like “don’t eat fat”, which is why such things are so prevalent.
A well balanced approach seems the most sensible and the least likely to have drastic downsides. That is one thing that made me willing to trust soylent, it does take a balanced approach. If it was a low-fat or a low-card or a low-whatever blend, I would dismiss it as a fad.

I think it is best soylent just follows the consensus about nutrition, and that is that 20-35% of your calories should come from fat. But I would really like it if soylent would make it more easy for us to tweak those ratios ourself. Some DIY soylent/official soylent hybrid. Maybe they could offer an perfect vitamin/mineral powder, which you can add daily to your mix. I mean I can easily buy oats/maltodextrin/fat/proteins myself. The only thing that is harder is the vitamin/mineral powder. That is the most time consuming part of DIY.

I haven’t read all the material yet, but it seems to be mostly articles and not studies. I will look into it :slight_smile:

Your understanding is precisely the opposite of what I have heard, namely that bad fats and cholesterol causes damage to the arteries and that a low-fat, high carb diet repairs that damage. If only this could be settled. Where is good nutrition info to be found?

Nutrition science is at an infancy and too often the study design and analysis are not done by statisticians.

This is somewhat what I’m thinking. That Soylent avoids bad things by not going to extremes. On the other hand, I really want Soylent to be the best diet possible. What if the best diet possible is not a moderate, middle-of-the-road kinda thing, but maybe very high fat or very low fat?

I mentioned this approach in another thread. A pouch of minerals and vitamins to add to the macronutrients. I think Soylent will be personalized in the future, which is awesome.

Btw, are you from Denmark?

Chris Kresser is a little bit in between, I think he is one of the best as it comes to health advices. He realizes that not everything works for everyone, and is much more flexible in his approach. http://chriskresser.com/

But then you got people like Ray Peat http://raypeat.com/articles/ and Danny Roddy http://www.dannyroddy.com/ those people believe in high sugar, low/normal fat, high protein diets to cure hypothyrodism. I follow such a diet myself. But I think that their approach is not ideal for everybody, especially if you have gut issues.

Note that allmost all those people that I have listened here have a PhD in nutrition, biology or something like that.Still they all disagree. That is the problem of health, there is very little consensus.