Is there a COMPLETE vitamin and mineral supplement?

I have a really hard time finding multivitamins like these appealing - if you look at what’s in there, you have to ask, what is the nutritional benefit of consuming 48mg of dried broccoli powder? (I’m using, e.g., double X) A serving of broccoli is 91 grams, 1895 times that amount. 1/183 of 1 serving of kale. 2 mg of horseradish extract… why? People want to get the nutritional benefit of all these great foods without eating them, which I totally understand, but this doesn’t do it. I think the best sounding one in the thread is the Life Extension Mix. Taking nine large tablets a day seems the only way paranutrients (no, it’s not a real word - I’m talking about phytonutrients, antioxidants, stuff that the FDA doesn’t care about that is in all likelihood good for you) could be consumed in a meaningful quantity.

1 Like

To be fair, broccoli is 91% water, by weight. So just removing the water from a 91 g serving of broccoli brings it down to just over 8 g. And if you have an effective way of removing the “stuff” from the fiber, you probably reduce that by another 2 g. A cup of broccoli (91 g) has 4 g of carbs besides the fiber, and 3 g of protein… so there isn’t a great deal of “stuff” in there.

The catch is that for whole-food “extracts,” what are they trying to capture? The carbs? The protein? Something else? You can probably identify a technique for isolating one thing versus another, but only if you have a specific goal in mind. Otherwise, it’s really just spray-dried broccoli juice. Not that that’s a bad thing, but I’m looking to add more specific things, and from more sources.

That’s why I’m a fan of LEF approach. For each item in there, whether it’s sourced from berries, or thistle, or pineapple stem, they’re looking for particular components that have shown merit in clinical research, and they’re targeting standardized potencies of the active component. The downside is that, even after member & bulk discounts, it’s expensive.

I do have some confidence in the organization, however - they fund outside and perform research of their own (at last count, they’ve spent $140 million funding research since 1980), and the people running the organization seem to have genuine interest in the cause of advancing health and reducing or eliminating the diseases we call “aging.”

Of course, they make that money selling an awful lot of cosmetic and vanity items as well as supplements, and their marketing can get pretty over-the-top, even if the origins lie in genuine research. But they’re competing for market with companies that will sell bunk and outright lie about it, and it’s hard to be heard among that crowd.

I try to pick out the good where I find it, and keep looking everywhere I can.

2 Likes

Phytonutrients are a special class of chemical compounds found within many plants and grains, and they usually are what give these their natural coloration. As such, they occur only in trace amounts.

The point of the phytonutrient complex is not to consume microscopic quantities of a given food (broccoli, horseradish, etc) but to consume the phytonutrients themselves, which have been extracted from dried plant matter.

Wikipedia has this to say:

Phytochemicals in freshly harvested plant foods may be degraded by processing techniques, including cooking.[10][11][12]
For this reason, industrially processed foods likely contain fewer
phytochemicals than fresh or frozen foods, and therefore would not
contribute to dietary intake that may lower risk of preventable
diseases.[13][14] The main cause of phytochemical loss from cooking is thermal decomposition.[12]

This is why Amway mostly uses extracts from dried plants.

The phytonutrient complex is a concentrated does of many of these chemical compounds; it is not meant to give the complete benefits of eating whatever plant they were extracted from.

I think a mathematician like Godel could demonstrate that a complete supplement is impossible, if it is assumed to contain unknown ingredients. One would need to use weasel words like “relatively complete” to denote a non-impossible conconction.

It’s actually worse than that. A complete supplement is an oxymoron. It’s a supplement. To an unknown quantity, i.e., what a person ingests in addition to the supplement. To say nothing of the fact that total nutritional requirements are also an unknown.

Eve

3 Likes

I was intrigued by the video (Yevo). But I’m put off because it is a MLM which is a complication I prefer not to add to my life. All the same, I’m intrigued by the concept of a “real food” version of Soylent. I mentioned in one of the other threads that I would really like an oatmeal product (because I love oatmeal) that confers the same benefits of containing a balanced package of all the essential nutrients. Well, this product seems to have a diversified line of foods (most look like cereals actually) which claims that property.

But, a further catch, they don’t exist yet. So far they’re just a video.

Eve

I didn’t want to make a post about it, but please note that Yevo has a compensation plan and his link is apparently an affiliate link. I’m not even going to link to their site because the whole thing looks sketchy as hell.

1. Personal Sales Bonus (paid weekly)
The Personal Sales Bonus rewards you for sharing our great products with others. You can earn 25% on the retail price of everything you sell to Retail Customers and earn 15% on the Preferred customer price on everything you sell to Preferred Customers… Acquiring customers is vital to your success. Not only will this help you create a strong foundation for a thriving business, you’ll also earn a significant income from your Customers’ purchases.

After looking at the Yevo site I flagged Rich’s post as spam. I apologize if that is not appropriate, but Yevo looks a lot like a pyramid scheme (a food pyramid scheme?).

Actually, I should have clicked on his name. Richie has made a grand total of two posts to this forum and they are both affiliate links for Yevo. I flagged both as spam.

3 Likes

I see what you did there.

1 Like

Gee, let’s actually be accurate. If you go with that product and buy in bulk (as I do), it’s $1.48 per day, which is not over $2. Like I said, it’s not cheap, but I feel you’re getting value for your money, and supporting an organization that does real research as well as marketing.

Or, if you buy their 2-per-day formula, which is just a vitamin/mineral supplement and more similar to your typical multivitamin, it’s $0.25 per day.

I have a lot more trust in a company that lists prices - whatever those prices are - than a company that won’t list a price for any product, but will try to sell you on the “opportunity.”

If I’m mistaken, and prices can be found on the Yevo MLM website, please let me know.

1 Like

It’s kind of funny that you see as you see it as spam because I posted my link to it, which I would profit from, but yet if if it were sold on amazon and I posted that link, would you see it as spam> I think not as you didn;t flag the countless other one like that posted on here, which is what prompted me to post mine. Oh ok buit those were posted by other people you might say. So if Jeff Bezos posted on here about one of the things sold on amazon would you say that’s spam? BTW, It might be of interest to you that I was an original backer of Soylent. I also used to own a restaurant, so food and what’s wrong with it is something that’s very important to me. I gave up on Soylent after trying that one box I got because like many people I had way too many issue like farts and the nastiest case of bad breath that was so bad my wife didn’t want to be in the same room with me! But I kept looking and I found Yevo. So shoot me because I make some money marketing it, I also made money from the food I sold in my restaurant and I’d often talk about that online on forums where people were seeking out a good place to go too, yes I’m so bad!. I’m sure the guys making Soylent are setting out to make some money too. One last thing, the people behind Yevo had over 100 patents related to food. They are not just some some guys that came up with a cool idea to put something in a box and sell it. At their recent ribbon cutting on their new plant in Nevada, the governor of that state was there and commented that his goal was to get it into every school in the state. Oh but it uses an MLM-type of model… oh the horror. It was once a franchisee of a certain restaurant brand I’m sure you’ve heard of in addition to owning my own place. and I lost over 250k in that business. Thousands of other people defaulted on SBA backed loans on it too. So which one is the bad model again?

It does exist, and I’ve been eating the Hot Rice for about 7 weeks and I love it. The food is delicious. As for it being an MLM, to be honest, what does that have to do with anything? An MLM is just another way of getting the word out there. It is no better or worse on it’s own than a franchise, and I can say that as I was once the owner of a restaurant franchise (see my other comment) I won’t dare post the link again to my site as some people might want to take off my head lol, but if you want to try it, send me an email and I’ll send you one of the oatmeals to try. My email is, rich at richpiotrowski dot org I believe in this product and that’s why I got involved with it.

A weed is not a weed in every garden.

I would argue that

Is the very definition of “spam”. I didn’t flag your post, but I would argue that the principal of marketing a product for your own personal gains is spam. Regardless of if the product is good or not :smile:

But you could ask one of the mods if it is alright or not, in the end it isn’t our decision, it is theirs.
@Conor @Soylent @Tesseract @BoDuke (I tagged a few mods/community managers for you)

2 Likes

Lets cut out the direct back and forth about each other. If you have a point to make, do it without having to refer directly to each other. less flags, more discussion.

thanks

2 Likes

Hello,

If you are looking for vitamin and mineral supplement, Herbs of Gold has a complete range of minerals, vitamins and superfood formulations for your fitness goal.

You can visit the link here: https://www.suppsrus.com.au/brands/herbs-of-gold

Thanks

Why would we welcome this user to the community when he’s just posting spam in an old thread?

Seriously, can’t our robot master scan messages and refrain from endorsing them if they don’t have the word “Soylent” in them? Is that too much to ask, oh AI master of the universe?