It needs to be more convenient!

I use Soylent daily for lunch at work because I don’t want to be away from my desk in the middle of the day. But the fact that I have to measure out exactly two meals worth every two days is a pain in the butt. This product would be much more valuable to me if I could prepare 5 meals worth on Sunday night and bring them to work on Monday. The two-day shelf life and the extra step of measuring out 5 different single meal’s worth of powder and oil are driving me away from your product. Give me single serve packaging with fats/oils already included or you may lose not only me as a customer. I feel there are probably a lot like me that only want it for one or two meals a day and making whole pitchers of the stuff ends up costing us money in the form of waste or costs us the main appeal of Soylent by making us take the time to measure out individual servings every couple of days. It’s much easier for me to make 5 meat and cheese only sandwiches on Sunday, take them to work on Monday and add condiments as I consume them. Please help me out here or lose a customer that otherwise loves your product (besides the horrible gas it gives me if I use it for more than one meal a day… and I’ve been on it since May).

You’d probably prefer something like 100%FOOD as far as convenience goes. No oil to add, no soak time, comes in bottles just add water. I’d imagine there’s DIY recipes that work this way as well.

Yes the oil really needs to go but as I understand it, this is something the Soylent Team are already working on.

A single pitcher can easily last three days with one meal a day. I know it states to consume within 24 hours, but its really more of a guideline. If you keep it refrigerated and only pour what you need each day (a 20oz stainless steel thermos) from it, it will last. I’ve done this for quite a while and the smell and taste never changes over those days. That leaves you to mixing twice a week or so, and a quick, 30 second, pour each morning. Not too difficult I would think.

I understand. I had issues in the beginning, but lets compare Soylent/DIY to Chicken Stir Fry at a very high level…

• Drive to store and park

• Walk store to find deal on chicken and buy/replenish oil and spices etc

• Wait in line to checkout

• Walk back to the car and drive home

• Walk to kitchen

• Unpack, wash and prep or freeze chicken

• Get pan on stove and add oil and spices and chicken etc

• Stir/monitor chicken

• Plate chicken over rice…Rice prep not included here

• Eat then wash pans and cooking utensils

Even if you had the chicken, oil and spices, you still have to prep it, cook it and the rice and clean up afterwards.

This is interesting to me because after a few weeks on DIY, I got used to the prep and was trying to shave time off wherever I could…

Soylent/DIY prep vs solid food prep is no contest…It’s saved this single dad with young kids countless hours…Actually I could count the hours but I’m too busy…:slight_smile:

And if all solid food was as much work to prepare as stir fry chicken… I mean, the OP gave a great example in the first post - meat and cheese sandwiches. Meat and cheese sandwich prep vs. stir fry chicken is no contest!

What I want to know is what does @patrickjpf do for a living that chains him to his desk at lunch time.

Couldn’t he measure the powder and oil into a sealed container before leaving for work in the morning. Then just add water and shake when its convenient.

Has anybody tried mixing and freezing Soylent?

If you get six 750 ml plastic bottles (or 25oz), sometime on the weekend you can:

1. Mix a batch of Soylent. Divide into three plastic bottles, leaving air gap.
  2. Mix a second batch, do the same.
  3. Put your six bottles into the freezer (that’s why the air gap.)

Every morning, take one from the freezer to work. Don’t put it in the fridge; it will probably need the day to thaw out, but should be ready to drink by lunchtime.

If you work five day week, you won’t have to do this job again until next Monday night.

Wide-mouth bottles will be best, or you’ll have to use a funnel. Soylent won’t pour through a narrow funnel very quickly.

It’s easier to throw meat and cheese on a bun on Sunday night and know that Friday at noon it will still be ok to eat than it is to measure out two single serves of powder and oil on Sunday , tuuesday and one serving Thursday night. They fail in the ease of use category for my particular use. For those that do one pitcher a day, it appears to be a big win. For me, it’s a problem.

I fail to see the difference in making a sandwich and separating Soylent into 7 sandwich bags on Sunday.

So, mixing Soylent powder and oil into a mush on Sunday does not make the mush inedible on Friday? The directions say that mixing with water makes the product unsafe after two days. Are you saying that the powder mixed w oil is perfectly good after five days?

I’m not sure I understand. Make a meat and cheese sandwich on Sunday and keep it until Friday?

Anyway, what horsfield is suggesting is to measure the servings of Soylent, dry, into individual meals, and mix them with water (and presumably the oil) as needed, not to fill sandwich bags with mush.

Asympt is right that is what I meant. You could keep a measuring cup on your desk to measure out the oil when you add the water. 4 tsp (20ml) is a single serving of oil.

http://m.cvs.com/mt/www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Heavy-Duty-Dosage-Glass?skuId=736532

I’ll consider it, though I work on a very large, very open sales floor with no cubical walls. The idea of playing Betty Crocker at work isn’t too appealing. Plus I’d have to go clean the measuring device and chill the drink. I try to be pretty discrete with my use of it.

I’m pretty sure the notes say 1.5 TSP (teaspoon) and not 1.5 TBSP (Tablespoon) :slight_smile:

What’s so difficult about throwing 5 scoops of powder into 5 bottles at the beginning of the week and bringing them to work in the morning, filling one up at the water cooler (if you have one, otherwise fill it up at your house in the morning or at the faucet at work) and sticking it in the fridge for a few hours until lunch?

Soylent and DIY are still more convenient than basically all or mostly all of the meals I’d make at home for myself vs grabbing some crap near work…Add powder and oil to water and shake…Pretty quick 2-3 meals right there.

I’ve frozen a weeks worth in 2 day serving sizes…It hasn’t killed me yet, but I’m not recommending it. Actually tastes the same to me.

The nutrition facts sheet from the site says that a single serving of oil is 0.66 fl oz which is 20ml or 4 tsp. If this is no longer the case someone needs to update the site.

That’s another conflict in addition to the directions being different in the release notes and the bag.

The bag does in fact say one serving is 0.66 US Ounces which comes out to be 3.96 Teaspoons, whereas the release notes specifically state on page 10 that to make one serving it’s “1 scoop Soylent + 1.5 TSP Oil Blend + 2 Scoops Water”. I’m guessing they forgot to add the “b” in the release notes.

I’m not a doctor, but I’d suggest to never eat meat and cheese sandwiches that are more than a few hours after preparation. There is the risk of food poisoning caused if the food spoils.

It seems your best choices are to dine out or find a ready-to-eat food that keeps for days - such as cereal bars, an apple and hopefully a healthy canned or bottled beverage. I’ve been hoping that Rosa Labs, the developers of Soylent, will develop a ready-to-eat dry food that is nutritious enough to make a complete meal. Too often people end up eating things like cookies and candy bars instead of a full meal. I wonder if making chocolate chip cookies would work for you, but then there is the risk that on Tuesday morning co-workers would say that some rodents must have got into the workplace and ate all of your cookies the night before.

The militaries of the USA and countries in Europe, Asia and Australia have MREs - MREs are Meal Ready To Eat. I don’t know why the whole population isn’t screaming to get MREs available in grocery store. Maybe Rosa Labs may come up with something other than Soylent. Until something comes through, many people will live on junk food or have to go to a fast food outlet to get something to eat.