John Oliver Covers Food Waste

I just want to clarify that I don’t think you’re dumb because you have a different opinion than me. I don’t think because you disagree with me, that you just “fail to grok” what’s right or wrong. I have no doubt that you have sound logic to support your beliefs.

I appreciate the information you provided and it has given me something to think on. But you could have provided it in maybe a friendlier way.

I don’t know if I’d say I live in a bubble

That’s ok, lots of people are unaware that they live in a bubble. Most of us do. I know I do. I do try to be aware of its limits and what’s outside. I’m just trying to be provocative and nudge you to question the nature of your own bubble.

I just want to clarify that I don’t think you’re dumb because you have a different opinion than me.

Glad to read it. For the record: nor I you. In fact your presence and participation here indicates that you are not. However I do think your world view rather narrow and from there I extrapolated that your formal education left out a number of important things. That was in part is the source of my “in the bubble” comment. It is meant to be a little insulting, well as little as possible, if that’s possible, to encourage curiosity about some of the many things they may have failed to teach you. OTOH, if you decided to not pay attention there, you can stop reading here.

Still reading? Cool. Let’s take your comment about food not being a commodity. It totally is. That’s not an opinion, a belief or a prejudice; it’s a fact, thus the link to the Chicago Merc.

You’ll have to forgive me if my sympathy for farmers is not quite up to the level as your own. [then later] I don’t have a low opinion of farmers.

Um, Ok I get it. I think.

I just don’t think we need to put their profits ahead of humans.

Here’s where I want to fault your education: A) Farmers are humans and B) If a farm does not profit, the farm dies.

Life support for a farm via someone pumping in money from a non-farm job is possible. But that’s for love of the farm and the farming lifestyle, it’s rarely a business decision. If life support (outside income) fails and the farmers loses the farm s/he can move to the city and get a job but the farm is gone, generally sold to agribiz. Dead. See the 1984 movie “Country” (Jessica Lange, Sam Shepard, Wilford Brimley) for a taste of the bad things the nation has done to farmers. Conspiracy theorists will say it’s a deliberate effort to drive them into cities.

I’ve researched the pros of commodifying human rights like food or water. Now its your turn to see some of the pros of not doing so.

I will be pleased to follow your link and engage you on the topic, but kindly respond to my questions in the first reply.

It’s nice that your dad loves his work, but it’s hardly germane to this discussion. In debate terms there’s a nasty word for that, but I won’t use it here.

I know that I am far from alone in my beliefs.

I don’t doubt it, but the popularity of a belief (or delusion) does not mean it has truth or even value going for it.

[Stracyzinski] seems like a cheery guy

Often. Often not. Worthy of Googling. As a writer, his works are worthy of reading/viewing.

I was terse with my response. Yours was a little rude and very assuming.

Glad you noticed. As I said above, that was my intent, for the reasons stated. When someone confidently states that which one thinks a falsehood, and/or an ill-informed opinion, it’s hard to not make assumptions. I wanted to dial it back a bit more but the words didn’t flow so there it is.

No doubt these words have made you more angry than curious about holes in your worldview. What would you suggest I say next time?

I agree: food is a commodity.

[emphases mine]

Does that hurt consumers, or just farmers? Presumably agribusiness bought the farm (heh) because they can profit from it by growing and selling food more efficiently.

Perhaps I’m daft, but I’m not aware of any dire food shortages in the US.

Not to provoke more argument, but I believe this is disingenuous. You were being derisive, not provocative. In fact, I’m less inclined to care if you are right because you have all the social grace of a caffeine-crashing Klingon.

Pro tip: this isn’t academic debate, you can dial it down a notch. Attacking the education of some random Internet person that you know precisely zip about is condescending, tasteless and irrational.

@sylass94 said “humans” in the context of “the greater good of humanity”, e.g. eliminating malnutrition and death due to food shortages. Personally, I find that ambition to be utopian but not naive, it always has and will always be the biggest challenge in the march of human progress.

Your response didn’t make me angry. A little dizzy, but not angry. When I first replied, I did so with an open mind.

I think it’s obvious by now that this is more of a political issue than a scientific one. That being the case, it’s best not to talk matter-of-factly about what we believe to be the ideal situation. “I think” would be a good thing to precede your arguments with when not quoting statistics or other’s statements.

I realize that political issues can bring out the worst in people, but in the future I think you should refrain from insulting the intelligence of others if they don’t immediately agree with you. I have my own thoughts, my own justifications and this is not an issue that I have only read one side of.

If how I presented my beliefs offended you, I apologize. That was not my intention. If my beliefs themselves offend you I don’t know what to tell you, but I wouldn’t count on an apology.

Not to provoke more argument, but I believe this is disingenuous. You were being derisive, not provocative. In fact, I’m less inclined to care if you are right because you have all the social grace of a caffeine-crashing Klingon.

Pro tip: this isn’t academic debate, you can dial it down a notch.

That’s fair. Thank you

eliminating malnutrition and death due to food shortages…

Much to my amazement, with the earth’s population doubling within my lifetime, the science and tech of food production and distribution has kept pace. The awesome generosity of the human spirit even pays the cost of getting it to places with temporary famines. The only real food shortages are caused by politics and war, a real but completely different problem.

[quote=“scotch7, post:27, topic:22613”]
The only real food shortages are caused by politics and war
[/quote]This will require quite a degree of justification. I’m aware of significant malnutrition caused by poverty and poor crop yields due to various reasons like drought, are you saying this is not the case?