Just got this email from the Company

Thank you again for ordering Soylent, the new way to easily eat a nutritionally complete meal.

Based on early customer feedback, we paused production (now resumed) to make some changes to our packaging to make it even easier to integrate Soylent into your life. This unfortunately caused a delay in production, which pushed your order back by up to an additional 8 to 10 weeks (beyond the 10 to 12 weeks lead time we anticipated when you first purchased).

We apologize for the delay and truly appreciate your patience as we bring this efficient approach to food to our customers. We are confident your Soylent experience will be worth the wait.

If you have any questions please contact us at info@soylent.me.

Note: If you originally bought Soylent during our crowdfunding phase (prior to 05/06/14), we will fill that order first and consider any purchases you made on our website to be reorders. Any reorders will ship within 1-2 weeks after you receive your crowdfunding order.

Yay for 2 to 3 month delay

Hm, so does that last part mean if someone ordered a 3 month supply and say split it up between 12 friends, and order another 3 month supply right away, they will get more in 1-2 weeks? Meanwhile people that didn’t pool together their orders can expect to wait 8-10 weeks?

does that last part mean if someone ordered a 3 month supply and say split it up between 12 friends, and order another 3 month supply right away, they will get more in 1-2 weeks?

That is correct. I saw someone on Reddit in June who had like 6 months of Soylent on hand. Initial delivery plus 2 resupply shipments.

: |
The catering to bulk buyers (ie resellers) is making feel the DIY route will be worthwhile, and also insulted enough that it’s worth effort getting everyone I’ve talked up soylent to do the same so by the time you can actually order soylent, the DIY is already part of their routine and not worth their effort to change it up.

All I wanted was to be able to taste the damn stuff before I threw down hundreds of dollars for a bulk order. I won’t cancel my order either way. At this point it’s effectively a tiny loan if they got interest off of if they just refund me, so I’d enjoy posting a youtube video of my order burning more. Hopefully there’s an interesting calorie & chemical combo in there.

These guys are one of the most incompetent companies I’ve ever seen with their order fulfillment system. No, that’s not hyperbole or exaggeration anymore. I’ll be returning from a business trip tomorrow, I haven’t completely decided yet, but there is a 90% probability that tomorrow I will also be demanding a refund. They do not deserve to be rewarded in any way for the boondoggle they have created.

I hope the few fanboys they have and the people they keep sending reorders to can support them, I don’t think anyone else will be.

I don’t appreciate being called a “fanboy” constantly, I don’t think I or we deserve that. It is quite an immature thing to do.

How am I acting like a fanboy?

If the company was serious about their ‘large orders first’ plan and not punishing people that made small first orders, a forced wait period would be enforced. It completely undermines the suggested purpose of changing shipment order with an ‘intent’ to align the reorders. It is disingenuous at best when they set up a system that puts three month orders first in line, and then if they immediately RE-order, they have priority AGAIN over original backers of smaller shipment quantities. If the lab was serious about that being their intent, they would have made it so a person who ordered a 3 month supply they should be forced to wait 3 months before the re-order arrives, not 2 weeks later and delaying every other smaller order further until all the backers are taken care of.

The hubris they are showing is mind boggling, they need to basically come to the forum hat in hand and admit their fulfillment process is completely wrong-headed and they will be changing it.

“Pride goeth before the fall”

I don’t understand how they can continue to delay small orders while pushing out larger orders. This never clicked in my brain. If that’s the case, small orders (in theory) would never be shipped because there’s always going to be re-shipments for large orders and new large orders are just going to keep rolling in. The way I understand it is that it will just exponentially get worse. So … eff that. I’m not waiting any longer. I’m just going to go the DIY route. Once these guys have their shipping taken care of so that they ship like any normal company, I’ll consider trying it out. But until then, I’m getting off the waiting train and going to something I can control the shipment of.

Shipping the large orders first does make business sense right now. If they know they are having huge delays and customers are going to start canceling orders, then it only makes sense to ship the biggest orders first to keep from having to refund the thousand dollar orders. They would much rather refund a $65 order.

I couldn’t stand it and bout an additional 2 week supply even though I haven’t received anything and probably won’t for some time. Glad to know that It’ll be a 1-2 week time frame for the second shipment.

The following is my response to Soylent’s email:

As someone who ordered on 5/6/14 after reading the New Yorker article,
went to your site to order a product, and waited patiently and quietly
after reading the forums with mounting cynicism, I have to say that I
find your continued confidence both puzzling and wearisome.

I planned medical treatment, marathon training, and a potentially
radical shift in lifestyle around your confident promise. In return I
got this one message nearly doubling my projected wait time.

Like it or not, when you put up a website and asked for orders you entered
the food service industry. If your aim was to serve all the backers
first, you should have stayed a startup until all backers were sated,
then went hunting for customers.

Being unable to ship your single product in a timely manner undermines confidence in all other aspects
of your business. Will subscriptions ship on time? Is the manufacturing/shipping process safe from tampering? Is our personal data and financial data protected from theft?

I realize you are getting it from all sides now but you need to know what customers are feeling about your company.

Meanwhile, I look forward to being not just a Soylent customer but a Soylent consumer…

I don’t believe they’ve shipped any non-backer orders yet, so people thinking they’re skipping over backers to serve new customers are most likely wrong about that.

I understand the reasoning behind wanting to ship larger orders first. It makes it easier to make sure there are no gaps in orders for people who decide they like Soylent and want to keep it as a part of their lifestyle. If they allowed gaps, then they’d almost surely lose more customers than they are by delaying initial orders.

But, it is a bit of a bummer that they haven’t ramped up shipping more quickly. Seems like it’s a problem of scale. Maybe they should hire someone who’s accomplished in the area of scaling up production (if they haven’t already) rather than try to learn it themselves.

Got a new email about 20 minutes ago concerning my first order of Soylent. It went something like this:

Thank you again for ordering Soylent, the new way to easily eat a nutritionally complete meal.

Based on early customer feedback, we paused production (now resumed) to make some changes to our packaging to make it even easier to integrate Soylent into your life. This unfortunately caused a delay in production, which pushed your order back by up to an additional 8 to 10 weeks (beyond the 10 to 12 weeks lead time we anticipated when you first purchased).

Wow. Either that is some AMAZING packaging, or there is some serious mistakes being made in shipping and manufacturing. I’ve already ordered from Body Fuel, and I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just get the money back from Soylent and put it towards another order from Body Fuel.

How are others handling the latest news?

it is what it is. I still want the product. I’m disappointed that it will be a lot longer than originally stated. I don’t need the money right now, so I’ll keep waiting. I’ve already had a chance to try it, and I know I like it, so maybe they’ll surprise me and speed it up :slight_smile: And I’ve ordered other fuel in the meantime too…

How did a four week stoppage amplify into three months of delays? Also, I thought the ‘fix’ was just new instructions.

This sounds more like a fix for the unconfirmed reports of spoiled product.

This is pretty outrageous, and the tone of the email makes me even more angry about it. Any other company would offer some sort of discount, credit or refund for such a delay. So not only did I order Soylent over 2 months ago, I can now expect to wait another 8 to 10 weeks to even see it. Wonderful, really winning people over with that one.

If it makes you feel any better, some people have been waiting over a year. Misery loves company?

What a joke. I’ve been in manufacturing for 20 years and this is completely unacceptable. How does a company stay in business that treats it’s customers this way? They’re lucky some state Attorney Generals don’t pay them a visit.