Keeping soylent chilled throughout the day

For those of you making your soylent in the mornings and then bringing it to work/school/etc - is it necessary to keep it chilled throughout the day?

If pre-make my soylent and bring it to my university I won’t be able to keep it refrigerated. Would it be better for me to get a blender bottle and make it during the day using cold water from my school?

Thanks!

For me it is very important to keep it cold or it will taste horrid. I’m using milk, and that’s probably a big factor; I have access to a refrigerator at work. So at least don’t use a milk recipe, is all I can tell you.

My recipe tastes okay warm, but it goes bad by the time I get home if I haven’t had it all by late afternoon. Best to just try it and see really, every recipe is different.

Yeah, I could of course just try and see, but I’m trying to decide on which add-on to take with my soylent pre-order; the stainless steel bottle (for bringing it pre-made) or the blender bottle (for making it elsewhere).

There are other ways to keep it cool when no refrigerator is available: @J_Jeffrey_Bragg froze his, letting it melt during the day. Add some pudding to make this even more appetizing!

I myself have tried adding ice cubes in lieu of part of the water, when I needed my soylent to keep till the end of the day. This workes, but you need a supply of ice cubes. (I use milk in my recipe, too.)

I read that as “in lieu of water” at first… which actually might not turn out too bad! I mean, I’m sure a little water would be needed since Soylent is mostly powder, but I can see a blender and a bunch of ice making an interesting frozen blended Soylent summer drink. It would certainly be chilled :smile:

Also,

That’s exactly the same thing I’ve been considering. I haven’t decided yet whether I’ll get the official Soylent blender bottle (I’m not sure that it’s meant to function as a bottle that can be safely carried around in a pack while full), but it sounds like just shaking it in a regular bottle works decently, so I’ll be planning on that as a fallback.

I wonder if something like these would be useful. Anyone know how long they stay cool for?

When I mix mine in the morning I’ll blend it with ice cubes (which also helps the taste).

Otherwise I’ve been scratching my head on how best to use the containers I have but decreasing their thermal conductivity. One idea is to make essentially a leather exterior to help prevent heat exchange. Even wrapping them in a hand towel has given the mix a couple hours extra of cool down time.

Has anyone seen those mugs with a ‘cold core’? My google fu is failing me, but this could also be beneficial.

Why not use a thermos?

You know, “make something remain at a particular temperature” is pretty much why thermoses exist…

I will have none of this sense making about here! Oh wait…

Honestly the issue with the thermos imho is they’re massive, bulky, and I don’t have one x). I do have my current containers and large leather hides, though, so it’s more of a thought originating from ‘what resources do I currently have’ that could just as well be resolved by getting a thermos :P.

This said, I don’t have much experience with them, so I’m not aware how long they maintain their temperatures, and making sure even my current containers stay clean is a bit of a hassle, any more parts and I’m not sure how it’d fare(?). Can anyone chime in on either of these points?

Well without doing absolutely any research, I feel like we have to have made some advances in thermos technology, and there have to be some more modern ones that aren’t as huge.

As far as effectiveness, I can speak to an (admittedly of the old and bulky type) thermos I’ve used to take soup on a car trip. 5 or 6 hours under the seat. No noticeable warmth on the outside of the container. The soup was still hot enough when I opened it that I had to let it cool off or be scalded. Thermoses work.

I use Eco vessels. I have put Ice in them and they stay cold for 2+ days depending where I keep them. If you used ice to blend your mix and put it in an eco vessel it would stay cold at least 16 hours no problem. I got mine on amazon.com warehouse deals for cheap. Under $20. Worth every penny.

Contigo makes some very nice stainless steel bottles. I have 16oz versions that keep ice cold water cold all day even in the hot desert summer.(even have some ice cubes left afte 8 hours) I also used it when I was on a trip for my S/soylent. Kept it cool fo at least 6 hours. You can also put them in the fridge to really chill them either before you put the liquid in or after.

Whiskey stones don’t last very long, and don’t get very cold. I haven’t used them myself, but when they were showing up on woot.com repeatedly, people were always warning others that at best they could make a cool drink stay cool. They won’t chill a warm drink and don’t last long even in a cooled one. They’re designed to put one or two in a couple of ounces of liquor.

A ‘life hack’ thing showed an interesting way of keeping bottled water cold. Lay the bottle on its side and put in water until it’s just below the edge of the spout, and freeze it. Then fill with water (or whatever beverage) and the large ice block will keep it cold as it melts.

I’m planning to fridge some and freeze some of mine each night. In the morning I can grab my two containers. The fridge one is breakfast and my commute to work. One frozen one will be allowed to thaw at work and will be for my lunch and evening commute. If I know I’m not going to be home in time for dinner, I’ll have a second frozen one that I can pull out of the work freezer at lunchtime that will serve as dinner.

Along these lines, if anybody has experience with freezing Soylent in either of the backerkit bottles, I’d really appreciate any information you can share - http://discourse.soylent.me/t/backerkit-bottles-for-freezing/6748

Interested in the freezing of it myself. Does it do anything to the flavor / texture to be frozen?

That’s what I’d wonder, I know freezing some liquids can cause weird separation of ingredients. Soylent does certainly have many ingredients, so it would be something to consider.

I froze 4oz of beta S/soylent last night, It is slowly melting over the last hour at my desk at this moment. First sip it seems to be melting at a consistant rate overall.

My 4 oz of frozen S/soylent melted in just over 4 hours. As it melted I sipped away. The flavor and texture was consistent and the last sip was as good as the first and cold. I would suggest that for an entire day I would freeze half and add some cold S/soylent when you take it out of the freezer. That way you will have some cold S/soylent to start with and the other half will melt throughout the day. I don’t know if putting unfrozen on top of frozen will make it melt faster but - Oh well I will just have to find out.

Out of curiosity, was this just in a basic cup/glass? Or like a mug/sportbottle/stainless/etc?