Keeping track of statistics for a blog

I am looking at starting a blog with my partner about Soylent and it’s impact in our lives. I want to keep track of statistics for the blog, but I can’t really afford to go to a doctor to gather information specifically to see Soylent’s effects on my body in a really scientific way. Keeping that in mind, what are different factors/statistics that we could watch and keep of for such a blog?

The first thing I know I want to keep track of is our weight, especially considering that I want to lose weight and my partner wants to gain weight.

The second thing that comes to mind is food consumption, like what an average week looks like for us as far as what we eat prior to Soylent, and then recording meals other than Soylent once we start using it as our primary source of sustenance.

Please share your ideas! I am especially interested in things that would be very interesting to use to compare/contrast my own experience with my partners as we go on this journey together

I’m doing the same. My yearly checkup at the doctor includes a lot of blood work, and I’ll be doing another set at 6 months from this site http://www.healthonelabs.com/ during the year. I’ll be checking my metabolic panel and lipids again.

Otherwise, I’ll be tracking weight, and all my intakes daily, including water volume. My plan is to also wear a fitness tracker to keep track of my general exercise and sleep patterns.

But, all things considered, the main things I’ll be tracking are the same as yours:
Weight and Detailed intakes.

Rob has used http://quantified-mind.com for cognitive tests, he mentioned it several times in some of the early posts.

I’m planning on tracking statistics as well. While I was at the doctor’s office having blood drawn, I asked the MD if there were any statistics he recommended tracking outside of blood tests. He recommended three things: general activity levels, sleep quality, and blood pressure.

I’m using a Fitbit to track both activity and sleep and bought an automated blood pressure monitor/cuff online for ~$65 since I haven’t been trained in how to do it myself.

Do we know which tests in particular he was using from quantified mind? There are only 5 pre-made tests available. Otherwise he might have created his own test… I see that there is an option for that there

Not that I know of, unfortunately; he posted this at one point:

Inches. I’ve heard repeatedly that people trying to “lose weight” should measure inches (e.g. your waistline), not pounds.

Mood. Track your own, and track your partner’s and have them do the same. I’ve seen claims in this forum of people’s family members noticing that they were consistently in a better mood after starting a DIY soylent diet.

Complexion. If either of you have skin issues, keep track to see if they appear to reduce or increase in severity. I’m certain that at least acne is affected by diet. A coworker found that he had a mild soy allergy and his eczema was noticeably reduced after cutting it out of his diet.

Energy levels. Does your energy spike after consuming Soylent? Do you crash afterwards? Are you noticeably more or less lethargic? Etc.

That’s all I can think of for now. :slight_smile:

Are any of your blogs up? Can you give us the links?

Also, it would be GREAT is someone made a Soylent app that tracked Mood, weight, energy, etc. (kind of like the ones that track women’s cycle symptoms).

Mine is up. Unfortunately, I still haven’t even gotten a notification on the starter kit yet so I’ve just got a brief overview up for now. I’m cautiously optimistic the experiment will commence soon…

www.lifeafterfood.com

Great! Mine is a lifestyle blog and not at all scientific, so I’d like to link to the ones that will be more statistical.

Mine will definitely have as much science behind it as I can manage. In addition to activity level, sleep quality, weight, blood pressure, body composition, and a comprehensive blood panel, I’m also considering multiple blood sugar readings throughout the day.

It would be by far the most intrusive metric, but I feel like it might be the most revealing.

Besides weight, keep track of your BMI.

Resting Heart Rate is also a good measure. (;

I wouldn’t think continuous tracking of BMI would make much sense. Since it is directly correlated with weight (for an individual whose height is not changing) wouldn’t you just set a target weight if that’s what you’re after?

Alternatively, I would think body composition would be a more useful measure.

Yeah. Posted way too early. (;

I’d go with the easiest ones:

Weight + BMI + Body Fat %

A $50 scale can easily give you all that.

Just remember to measure under the same conditions every time (day of the week, hour, after/before working out, etc.)

A Withings scale will do a reasonable body fat percentage measurement. I’ve been weighing myself every day since January, and although there’s a fair bit of variance in the body fat percentage it reports, I can see it’s been trending down with my weight when I’ve maintained a decent diet.

One thing I would say is start tracking this stuff now, before you start on Soylent. Then you can compare pre-Soylent to post-Soylent, and see if there’s an appreciable difference in outcomes.

Really enjoying your Soylent blog so far. Very much looking forward to seeing how you like life on a liquid diet.

Thanks! I had some missteps today. The powder didn’t mix and I’m wondering if this pouch is bad.

So I decided to take the plunge and do glucose monitoring. I bought all the supplies and after an hour or so spent learning the ins and outs, I’m relatively confident that I’m properly trained to take my blood sugar readings.

There doesn’t seem to be much information out there on blood sugar readings for non-diabetics, so I’m interested in whether anyone has any advice on times of the day. I’d rather not take a ridiculous amount of readings (these strips are EXPENSIVE) but I had tentatively laid out a schedule of 7am, 12pm, 2:30pm, 7pm, 10pm. Since I am a very sporadic eater (sometimes breakfast, rarely lunch) I thought it’d make sense to take readings at regular intervals rather than on a before/after meal schedule.

If anyone has any thoughts or input on this, I’d be very happy to hear from you!

For diabetics, it’s usually test two hours after you eat, although it depends on what your doctor wants to monitor and some other things. If you’re wanting to measure how fast it goes up and down (glycemic spike), you obviously need to do it more often, if you just want a simple baseline, try and do it every day at the same time.

My suggestion would be to take your blood sugar three times.

1. In the morning before eating. This is known as your fasting glucose reading.
  2. 2 hours after dinner (or whatever is your highest carb meal). This will show you the spike in your sugar after said meal. If you are consistent you will start to learn that certain carbs affect your sugar levels more than others.
  3. Before bed. This should show that your BG has returned to normal.

If you are not diabetic. You should only need to test 1 and 3 for a couple of days. They will come back with a reading of 70-100 which is normal. If either of these numbers is above 100 , keep testing. In that case, you may be pre-diabetic.