Kosher Soylent: Here's Why

Nope. The stamp is not worth the compliance cost.

Yes, apologies! :confused::confused:

I’m tempted to lock this thread, our choice to not do kosher at the moment is just from a logistics end. There are a lot of changes behind the scenes so certification right now would be challenging. That being said as we grow it is not entirely off the table. But historically we have opted out of ALL certification programs that are not health and safety focused.

I found this thread via google why looking to see if Soylent is kosher. It appears that it is not, but i would like to clarify a few points that seem to be misunderstood.

1. Kosher certification means that a kosher certifying agency has certified that the product is kosher. Sometimes they simply verify that nothing non-kosher is in the ingredients. Other times the method of production must be certified.

If Soylent is only using kosher ingredients, and none of the ingredients are of concern being mixed with others, certification is required for the factory and the process. This can be done as one certification or two. Often, iiuc, it is two.

The reason is simple. If a company gets certification for their factory, they may also allow other companies to use that factory. The first company pays for certification and the factory is considered kosher, unless something changes. If a second company wants to rebrand a product for their own usage (like walmart, for example) they also pay for certification, because they are using the certifying agency’s symbol. Also, if the second company changes suppliers (which happens with generic brands at stores) the agency must keep on top of that too.

Soylent is not only using another company, their product is of their own formulation. Therefore, they need a certified factory or a certified run, which requires a thorough cleaning of the equipment each time they make a new run. This takes time to schedule with the factory, the certifying agency, and the company (soylent). This adds to the expense.

1. Kosher includes a cleaning, inspection, and verification. No rabbi needs to bless anything. (If he does, it is a sham.) The amount of time he needs to be there is done decided on a case by case basis. This rarely requires someone there at all times, and usually relies on surprise visits.

2. Kosher and Halal are are different things. Nonetheless, something certified kosher is often acceptable by Halal certification agencies. The opposite is not true.

3. Kosher certification is looked for by Jews who keep to kosher laws, by many Muslims who keep Halal, by Seventh-day Adventists, and by many others who simply like more certification on a product than just the FDA.

4. There are hundreds of kosher certifying agencies, as some companies want to use local agencies, and many other reasons. For the widest acceptance, Soylent would want to go with a nationally (or internationally) recognized agency, which limits the choices to just a few. This isn’t a problem, just something to bear in mind.

We do not know the costs to make Soylent kosher. As pointed out above, it’s a business decision they must make pitting cost and time against increased revenue. There’s no easy way for them to decide, even after knowing the costs. We can just hope for the best.

I propose all the folks seeking a Kosher Soylent start a kickstarter to fund the certification of all of Soylent ingredients and factories.

Not a bad idea. That requires knowing the cost though.

With all due respect, if it’s only a matter of personal preference, the request for going Kosher doesn’t feel much different from those for using organic or non-GMO ingredients, at least in my view. If soylent team has already established that they wouldn’t go organic or anti-GMO (which is really laudable), there’s no reason they should consider kosher or halal options either. All such requests, in one way or another, go against one of the main initiatives (I guess) to reduce the cost and avoid wasting natural resources. (Not to mention there’s no animal cruelty involved anyways.)

Also, I have this suspicion too. And I agree to your earlier point that those in Jewish community that embrace soylent most probably wouldn’t stick to a kosher diet.

If there has to be a kosher soylent one day, please do keep it as a separate product and price it separately. Other customers shouldn’t have to pay for the extra cost of building and maintaining kosher production lines, from which (at least in terms of employment) only a certain fraction of the population benefit.