Leaving the bubble

Here is what Soylent team should do, make an official poll about how much are people willing to pay for Soylent(categories like 60-100, 100-150, 150-200, US dollars) per month and make it so that only people outside of USA are able to vote.
And keep it up for at least a month.

That should clear out your misunderstandings.

Here is what Apple should do, make an official poll about how much are people willing to pay for iPhone 5S (categories like 60-100, 100-150, 150-200, US dollars) per month and make it so that only people outside of USA are able to vote.
And keep it up for at least a month.

That should clear out your misunderstandings.

FTFY

You’re presuming ignorance where none exists.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/kiss

$112/month , 2100 calories a day. The price is off by a few dollars, but the bones are there. Use this recipe as your base. You’ve provided remarkably little information as to where you’re from. Give me that info and I’ll even find some comparably priced locally sourced substitutes for you as I work out this recipe.

$60-$100 is possible. I’d wager that $45-60 is possible, but I haven’t found a cheap enough protein source. Your assistance with the recipe would be welcome, but all I really want is your country of origin so I can customize the recipe to your locale.

does this poll include a built in random currency to USD calculator for people who don’t know how to convert to USD? and a section where we find out what countries they are from? I still believe your countries government subsidies your food industry or gets a discount on imported food stuffs (which means Soylent might get a discount or subsidized by your government too).

The cheapest protein source I’ve found online is soy protein isolate over at True Nutrition—it’s 90.3% protein by weight and costs $13.21 per kilogram (compared to $23.79 per kilo of the whey you’re currently using). You would need to use 82g of it in your recipe for the same amount of protein you’re currently getting.

I haven’t done any math on how that would affect your price, but assuming you aren’t soy-averse that should get you closer to the magic $60 mark.

K.I.S.S. diy soylent,$1.05/day

Soylent
Food substitute
Soylent is a food substitute intended to supply all of a human body’s daily nutritional needs, made from powdered starch, rice protein, olive oil, and raw chemical powders.

If most people around the world spend about $90 or less on food how the hell are you gonna convince anyone to pay almost 3 TIMES as much, it’s ludicrous.

Frankly, people who spend $90 or less on food monthly are not the target audience of the official Soylent product—at least not yet. For folks in the developed world who are reasonably well off, $8.50 per day is practically a steal when you consider that an average American spends about 2 hours and 22 minutes per day on food (source), that the average household spends about $550 per month on food (source), and an average household holds 2.55 people (source). For that demographic, paying $1.3 more per day to get back a bunch of free time feels criminally cheap.

But that’s not to say that people on a budget are being left out in the cold by Soylent—in the US at least, the company has made it very clear that they want Soylent to qualify for SNAP. A single person on SNAP would only end up paying $63 out of pocket for a month’s supply of Soylent (source), which is not bad at all.

And for the rest of us outside of the US, there’s always the DIY community. Why, in this very thread @jrowe47 posted a recipe to make your own DIY soylent for under $100 per month. It takes an hour or two a week to prepare, but it’s both very inexpensive and still a large net reduction in time spent on food. And the company itself is committed to supporting the thriving DIY community—they’re making their full recipe public knowledge (source 1, source 2, with more to come) and they’re hosting DIY soylent for free to ensure we’ve got a public space to innovate and share techniques.

I’m far from a corporate apologist, but I feel that these guys have got their hearts in the right place.

People in developed world outside USA spend less than $100 monthly on food. We are talking about normal middle class people in developed industrialized nations.

Please stop lying already and demonizing anyone who doesn’t pay ridiculous and bloated US food pricing.

Wasn’t just the other day one person telling how when he moved back to USA he was spending $300 minimum and before that while living in some other country he was spending $150, and that is without ever thinking about saving money on food in that country, going to restaurants, etc.

Every single DIY recipe here is completely irrelevant because it can’t be tracked down locally in other countries. Your only option is to go to Amazon.com and pay shipping and taxes on that, which in the end amounts to no saving at all.

[quote=“permanentspace, post:8, topic:10562, full:true”]
People in developed world outside USA spend less than $100 monthly on food. We are talking about norma middle class people in developed industrialized nations.
Please stop lying already.[/quote]

While I’m having some difficulty coming up with exact numbers on the fly, I know for certain that (speaking strictly of spending as a percentage of income) Americans spend less money on food than any other developed nation in the world (source). Can you provide some evidence to the contrary?

This community is built on a foundation of folks who buy into the scientific theory. To quote (the rather crass) Tim Minchin’s Storm, “If you show me that, say, homeopathy works, then I will change my mind. I’ll spin on a f*****g dime. I’ll be embarrassed as hell, but I will run through the streets yelling, ‘It’s a miracle! Take physics and bin it! Water has memory!’”

In brief: If you’re coming into a community with a contrary opinion, the onus is on you to provide the evidence. Your job is to try and change my mind—not the other way around.

They’re truly not. For nearly every recipe I’ve looked at it, it was trivial to either find a local source for every ingredient, or an online supplier with less-than-insane shipping costs. Oat flour, corn maltodextrin, canola oil, and protein powder are hardly unique products to the US.

As an aside, it may surprise you to know that I don’t live in the USA. Despite that, I’ve managed to live on my own DIY soylent recipe for around $125 per month—it could be less if I’d been bothered to find local sources for a few ingredients, but I put a premium on convenience because I can afford it.

Joshua, at the end of your post you should have said “throws down the mic”. Its would have been well deserved. Great post!
I dont know why the guy is even here. He has already said he has no interest in DIY and he says Soylent is to expensive for him to buy. So what exactly is he doing here? I dont get it. So far it seems as if he is only here to complain without giving anything of importance or relevance back.

I’ve offered to tweak my less than $60 USD a month diy soylent to your local market. Where are you from? It’s doable. It’s even easy. Without knowing where you’re from, I can’t do the work for you, but I’m happy to, if you give us the needed information. I wouldn’t be surprised if I could find locally sourced ingredients that make things even cheaper.

The onus is on you, @permanentspace . There’s no need for this hostility. This community is more than willing to work with facts, but you’re not bringing much to the table. If all you’re interested in is fighting and arguing, then just leave. It’s not welcome, productive, or enlightening.

Otherwise, contribute to the discussion. All you need to provide is a country, or a city if you live in a large country. We’ll demonstrate that you can make easily sourced, complete nutrition diy soylent for less than $60 a month (2000 calories.)

Particular flavors, protein/fat/carb ratios, special nutrients available on request.

Unless they don’t have milk in your country. In which case the price goes up a bit. It’s still under $65 a month without milk. So… where are you from?

If it wasn’t already obvious,

In my experience, France, UK, Germany, Australia, and Japan have all been much more expensive than the US for me to buy groceries.

Take a nice long look at this map. You can click on your country to get the average amount of money spent for each person per year. Notice that in the US, it is ~$2200/person/year on average. That makes soylent (~$3200) 50% more expensive than the average for the US. Also note how many countries spend much more than the US (Australia, Japan, most of Europe), up to $4000/year in Norway.

permy, my dear, perhaps this has nothing to do with the USA, and you are just personally too poor. There was a time when I would have been too - there’s no shame in that. It’s time to accept it, and either move on or make your own DIY recipe.

The numbers on that map are just averages. Multiply your countries’ percentage by your income. That is the average amount of money that people in your country with your income level spend on food. I would ask you to let us know what you get, but I have a feeling if you did find out, you would stay silent to preserve your pride.

I’m going to put my own DIY solution later when I do more research.
Where is the table for optimal quantity of nutrients needed?

You can choose your own nutrient profiles - you have many to select from when you first create your recipe at http://diy.soylent.me , the usual is the USDA RDI for 2000 calories.

My country is the 6th most expensive country in the world for utility bills, however $72 per month for single person is enough for a wide assortment of foods, without takeouts, going to restaurants, snacks(chips,mars bars), etc., just proper food.
That map is pretty useless btw.

So, you can see how going from $72 to $260 per month is a ludicrous proposition.
(I spend about $85)

P.S.
At this point I’m of the opinion that people here never thought about any food cost in their entire lives and wasted their money all the time because they always had high paying jobs, I really don’t know how else to explain this rampant, bizarre cluelessness on display in this forum.

You need to expand your horizons - cost of living varies wildly beyond your experience. You also have to account for time savings as one of the value adds of this product. It’s not just food, it’s an extra 45 minutes or more for people each day.

EXACTLY! Soylent will have so many benefits in MY life. When I graduate I will be working 12+ hours a day. I would rather spend my time doing things I want to do and that does not include driving to the store, shopping, food preparation, and food cleanup, I like to cook A LOT, SOMETIMES! But not when I am working lots of hours. I have worked jobs where I worked 60 to 70 hours a week and I ended up eating junk that was bad for me or not eating at all because I was to tired and/or didn’t have the time. Soylent is delivered to my door, provides me complete nutrition, provides me with minimal preparation, minimal time needed to consume, and minimal cleanup.

How precisely vague! Well I’m just going to guess you mean the UK, then.

According to that study I pointed you to previously, in the UK, the average amount of money spent on food per person per month is $160USD ($23 cheaper than the US). But we’ve already established you’re poor, so lets consider % of income. In the UK, it’s 8.8%, and you claim to spend about $90USD/month, yes? That means on average, the people in your country who spent that much on food tend to make around $1000/month ($12,000/year).

If I were that poor, I wouldn’t consider soylent either. Nor would I consider 70% of what’s available in the grocery store. Inefficient stuff like frozen foods and pre-marinated meats and unnecessarily fancy/flavored bread. So strange that stores would stock expensive stuff even though you don’t buy them, right?

Not a single soul is proposing you do.