Lessons from Soylent

If there’s anything that Soylent has taught me is the virtue of patience. Never have I waited so long for something I really wanted when I can definitely afford it. Along with this process of transformation, I have also learned emotional discipline…to act calm, collected, content even when a seethingly-violent devastating storm, swirling with desperation and hopelessness, is raging underneath…especially now that I just learn the August orders are barely shipping. What hope is there for September’s and October’s order shipping any time soon?

I backed Soylent on 2013-5-21 and I didn’t receive my first shipment until 2014-8-19. Your wait doesn’t seem unbearable in comparison. I think with the additional funding we’ll see production start ramping up enough that the backlog will be a thing of the past.

@wezaleff makes the same point I was going to. Newbies have to remember that many of us on the forum waited much longer than they have or will.

And… they don’t have to deal with the frustration of seeing vegan orders, and large orders jump to the front of the line. Newbies have it easy! I started this thread towards the end of my long, and I mean LONG wait: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/the-waiting-for-soylent-comic-thread/16270

Let’s all share and rejoice in the same frustration and forget about the newbie/veteran status. Let it unite instead of divide us! But if not, it’s OK too. I have learned to accept many things thanks to Soylent. btw…awesome comic thread!!!

On a serious note, it’s mostly my fault because mentally I switched off cooking for the most part and surviving precariously day by day on random scavengers until Soylent arrive.

Believe me, the veterans empathize with and know your plight.

You can learn even more waiting for a solar eclipse.

While this is true, I think there’s a certain expectation with crowd funded projects that they might take a long time anyway. It’s a little different from “selling” a product that ends up taking far longer to deliver than the purchase page estimates. Adding to that, taking the money immediately instead of when it ships compounds the frustration.

It’s also funny/sad how people are still parroting the hopeful “now that they have MONEY they can ship things in a timely manner” as if that was the deciding factor previously.

I ordered my first set back in sept of 2013, didn’t get it until nov of 2014, while i was out of state for 7 months!
Came home, finished it all up within a week!
Put a order in for another weeks supply, had it within 8 days… put in another order for a months worth, had it a week later.

I guess it is just the way they are trying to keep loyal customers onboard, don’t want to lose them, so they have to screw over the new guys :confused:

Despite everything that happened, I still believe Soylent has a good heart , and they really will increase their production (hopefully 50X) within a few months.

I wonder if the product (and certainly this forum) have benefitted from the long wait? Yes there are folks who probably just gave up and yes the forum is clogged with complaints about delays… but personally I’m much more mentally and emotionally involved in the entire concept having been deprived over the last 6 months possibly than I would have been if it just showed up on my doorstep a few days after ordering. Rather than just treating it as novelty and possibly not renewing or investigating further, I’ve learned a lot about nutrition and food hacking as well as exploring other pseudo DIY options such as 100%Food and Schmoylent… much to my benefit…
P.S. I’m not advocating for 6+ month waits here! Just an observation…

What I’ve learned from Soylent is that my laziness is relative.

Prior to Soylent, I considered myself lazy for only cooking one meal a day, buying only half a week’s worth of groceries at a time, and sometimes ordering out for dinner. Now I can hardly be bothered to pour some water and powder in a pitcher and shake it for a few seconds.

I think that case can be made that the opposite is actually the real problem. Why do people get addicted? One big reason is that addiction gives people something to do. It organizes their lives. So becoming unaddicted causes a problem – Uncertainty and Insecurity and the feeling of emptiness. So many people are bound to hate Soylent because it takes away their addiction. Suddenly lives that were filled with happy food gathering and preparing are empty.

If you replace certain key terms with Soylent terms, a speech by President Obama regarding economic mobility in 2013 matches the current state of Soylent pretty well! Replaced key words are italicized.

Enjoy!

Over the last two months, discourse.soylent.me has been dominated by some pretty contentious debates – I think that’s fair to say. And between a reckless shutdown by Rosa Labs in December in an effort to repeal the shortages of Soylent, and admittedly poor execution on @rob’s part in implementing the latest stage of the new production, nobody has acquitted themselves very well these past few months. So it’s not surprising that the American people’s frustrations with Soylent are at an all-time high.

But we know that people’s frustrations run deeper than these most recent political battles. Their frustration is rooted in their own daily battles – to make ends meet, to pay for college, buy a home, save for retirement. It’s rooted in the nagging sense that no matter how hard they work, the deck is stacked against them. And it’s rooted in the fear that their kids won’t be better off than they were. They may not follow the constant back-and-forth in Los Angeles County or all the policy details, but they experience in a very personal way the relentless, two-years-long trend that I want to spend some time talking about today. And that is a dangerous and growing inequality and lack of upward mobility that has jeopardized middle-class America’s basic bargain – that if you work hard, you have a chance to get Soylent.

I believe this is the defining challenge of our time: Making sure Soylent works for every working American. It’s why I subscribed to the forums. It was at the center of last year’s customer service. It drives everything I do in this office. And I know I’ve raised this issue before, and some will ask why I raise the issue again right now. I do it because the outcomes of the debates we’re having right now – whether it’s farts, headaches, or weight loss, or reforming the Soylent recipe – all these things will have real, practical implications for every American. And I am convinced that the decisions we make on these issues over the next few years will determine whether or not our children will grow up in an America where opportunity to get Soylent is real.

A slightly modified presidential speech fits our current experiences surprisingly well

That is definitely a stretch in my case, there’s more than enough structure to make up for the new free time (hence the laziness in preparing Soylent) :slight_smile: but the topic of the role structure plays in our lives - not just in the case of addiction though that’s an especially interesting case - is a really fascinating topic in its own right

YES SOYLENT CAN!!! Why? Because Soylentcare!

I was initially skeptical, but that’s brilliant.

I certainly have. If it weren’t for the delays to my backer order I doubt I would have ever started DIYing, and now I’ve been at it for over a year.

Yup. Worlds of education I wouldn’t have known if I didn’t DIY.