Let's Talk Kitchens/Pantries/Storage!

Hi all, first just a quick question if anyone knows… The soylent pouches are opaque, so I’m wondering if it would hurt it to be stored in a lovely air-tight clear glass jar or canister? Since I only make small batches at a time anyways, I’d rather just keep it all together in a big container than in separate ugly annoying pouches, but not if exposure to light will harm it in any way.

On that note, how do you all store your soylent? Any fun containers? What do your kitchens and pantries look like these days? Rob says he turned his kitchen into a library, have any of you repurposed your kitchens? Or maybe you only cook when you really want to for the art and experience and have transformed your kitchen into a full-blown “food studio” (haha).

Let’s share our current or goal/dream kitchens~

You reduce the shelf life when you add two things, light and oxygen. Store the container in a dark cupboard and the effect of the light will be minimal, so that’s not a huge problem. You can’t really avoid the oxygen unless you seal it with an oxygen absorber, but opening the container frequently would negate the absorber’s effect. The real question is how long after you open the pouch will you use up the powder?

Unfortunately, several of the vitamines, fats, and proteins in soylent are highly prone to photodegradation, so it would be best to wrap your jar in tin foil or something just to be safe. This is why so many ditary suplements come in tinted bottles.

I just keep my soylent in their original bags next to my toaster (boring, I know).

This makes sense, and I was afraid of just that, which is why I asked. Really one pouch is like at least six meals for me as I am pretty small and sedentary, and that one pouch could last me from a couple of days up to a couple of weeks depending how often I consume it… Perhaps keeping them in a series of smaller glass containers that would remain closed and in the cupboard except for the couple of times they’re in use might be a better solution? I want it to look nice it still be functional of course.

My goal kitchen will eventually feature an aeroponic garden to always have easy access to fresh food after soylent frees up some of my time and money. Soylent and and a few other convenient and necessary dry ingredients, spices, and oils will be kept in simple, elegant, label-free canisters and bottles. My “real” meals will be light, fresh, nutritious, and incredibly sustainable, as I will have fruits, vegetables, and nuts for snacks, and replace the need for meat or grains with insects along with soylent. My small fridge will just be used for soylent and juices and teas (and a few leftovers here and there). It will all be very futuristic and minimalist and elegant and green~

If you’re not using the fridge for much else anyway, it’s not a terrible idea to keep dry Soylent in there. It’s nice and dark in there, and opened Soylent will probably stay fresher longer if it’s cooler.

My powdered food storage solution:

At least you use safety gloves when handling powder! But isn’t that brush a little abrasive for your Takeya?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When the reports came out that 1.6 was making people sick, I had to figure out a way to be safe when handling Soylent. I needed the abrasive brush to clean out my pitchers before switching over to Joylent - just to be sure there wasn’t any cross contamination!!