Linus Pauling Institute micronutrient information center

Has anyone gone through all the information available from the Linus Pauling Institute to make sure that Soylent isn’t deficient from their recommendations?

I’ve used LPI information for a lot of stuff. It definitely appears to be a reputable source!

All of the articles I’ve read at LPI have indicated that they adhere to the recommendations of the National Institutes of Health. That’s the Daily Reference Intake (DRI) that I assume everyone is using, found here: http://ods.od.nih.gov/Health_Information/Dietary_Reference_Intakes.aspx

The LPI doesn’t appear to differ from the NIH on any of the micronutrients, but it looks like they differ on some of the vitamins.

• LPI recommends 400mg/day of Vitamin C. NIH recommends 90 for men, 75 for women.
  • LPI recommends on Vitamin A: “we recommend taking a multivitamin/multimineral supplement that provides no more than 2,500 IU (750 mcg) of preformed vitamin A (usually labeled vitamin A acetate or vitamin A palmitate) and no more than 2,500 IU of additional vitamin A as beta-carotene.” NIH simply recommends 900 mcg of retinol or RAE (retinol activity equivalents).
  • LPI recommends 2.0mg/day of Vitamin B6. NIH recommends 1.3.
  • LPI recommends 50mcg/day of vitamin D. NIH recommends 5mcg and upper limit of 50mcg/day.

Their vitamin C recommendations are quite a bit higher, but it’s with the vitamin D recommendations where they really differ. LPI recommends such a high level because they don’t think you should rely on sun exposure for vitamin D (since it can vary wildly from person to person and day to day). But the fact that it’s right up against the NIH’s UL is tough to reconcile.

I’ve read quite a bit about vitamin D. After many readings I concluded this:

We used to get vitamin D primarily from sun exposure (UVB exposure).
Your skin can makes very large amounts of vitamin D. If you expose your whole body, the body is capable of making up to 10000 IU a day. That is 250 mcg.

However, your body is quite smart, it doesn’t allow you to overdose. After sun exposure, their will be some vitamin D on your skin, if you have too much vitamin D in your system, your body won’t absorb it. Therefore I prefer to put vitamin D oil on my skin, instead of taking supplements orally. I think that it is harder to overdose in this way. Of course the best way to find out is just test it, vitamin D test are not that expensive.

I don’t think it is a good idea to put very large amounts of vitamin D in soylent. Many people are deficient (or have suboptimal vitamin D levels). Those people need larger amounts of vitamin D for some period, but other may need close to no extra vitamin D because of sun exposure.

Here is good study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16026981?dopt=Abstract