Living alone? Buy Soylent

The following quote from today’s Science Daily sounds like an argument for prescribing Soylent for people living alone:

Posted: 03 Nov 2015 06:09 AM PST
People who live alone are more likely to have unhealthy diets lacking key foods, research has found. The study reported inadequate cooking skills, no partner to go shopping with, the increasing cost of food and a lack of motivation to cook were among the reasons people living alone had different eating practices.

Sounds like an argument for teaching cooking skills and doing something to combat food poverty to me!

Or just take the simple route and get a valet.

I’m not convinced it’s about cooking skills, just a question of the cost/benefit of actually cooking. Cooking a meal for one takes just as long as cooking a meal for four so the per meal cost (including time) is much higher for cooking for one. Also problems with shopping - you often pay more per serving as you purchase smaller sizes of goods so the cost of the materials goes up as well.

Soylent feels perfect for the single people. If I had to cook for a large family I don’t think I’d use Soylent for those meals - probably still for breakfast/lunch (when I’m eating alone) but not my family meals.

Oh yeah totally. I currently live alone and I’m definitely enjoying having Soylent as my main food.

I’m vaguely hoping I’ll use a little bit of the time and effort savings from Soylent to occasionally cook something that takes a bit more effort, and marginally improve my cooking skills that way. Obviously time will tell if that idea works out.

Im Timmy so Im not living alone but I am living a lie.

Livin a lie timmy.

Precisely. That’s actually a very early form of DIY soylent there.

Eh, I’ve got plenty of cooking skills, I just don’t like to cook. Or clean up after cooking. Or do anything else in the kitchen, unless my computer happens to wander in there.

But, those would still all be issues even if I wasn’t single, so maybe I’m not the best example.

I think whether Soylent would be good for a family meal depends on the circumstances. Some families are rushed in the morning, especially if both parents work. I can imagine Soylent being useful for them, both in terms of getting nutrition inside their bodies and in terms of everybody sitting around a table and looking at each other and telling each other what their upcoming day has in store. No silverwear clattering, nobody going over to the stove to get more food, no mouths full with chewing food. And no sink full of dishes in the evening when everybody gets home.

Living alone actually made me a master home chef at a young age, because no one was going to make it for me and if I wanted something good, I’d have to make it myself. But I do tend toward simpler meals just because it’s practical. Such as stews for example, really simple to make and healthy too. I don’t even add broths, i let the vegetables make its own broth, and it’s delicious. I can make much more complex foods, but that gets old since most food consumption is utilitarian in nature.

I think that couples also tend to eat badly too because if neither want to cook or neither can cook well, then you get the same result. I’ve seen couples who basically live on fast food.

Quite — sounds like you’re a prime example of another factor mentioned:

We need to work on your motivations, son.

Yeah, I’m a former chef, went to culinary school, it was dream to be a chef since I was a young child. But as an adult I didn’t like cooking food that other people wanted me to cook, and now that I live alone, the same effort required to make food for one person makes food for 4+ and just makes it not worth it. So I resort to things like MacNCheese, Pastaroni, Fast Food, pizza, ect and still have to clean up all the dishes myself.

Soylent is the perfect thing, because I don’t have to spend extra effort just to satisfy my hunger and still get a healthy diet.

I was quoting from an article; I wasn’t prescribing for myself. Anyway I don’t even live alone so it doesn’t really apply to me.

Pretty much this.

I live alone right now, and Soylent is a nice bonus in the context of this thread. No dishes with Soylent 2.0, where before dishwashing duty was shared. Cooking “extravagant” meals for one is superfluous to me so I don’t do it often; S2.0 solves that time/money waster.

In no way is it being too lazy or inept to actually cook. (too drunk? Perhaps…)

Being single is not even remotely a reason for using Soylent (in my case, anyway). There are a couple of nice positives that Soylent brings to my table, though. Mainly in that it helps mitigate the lack of “division of household labour”. That’s all.

[EDIT] (I should note that I don’t consume S 100% of the time. I find that many discussions around it revolve around the notion that everyone is 100%, while in reality most are not, IIRC [old poll].)

Shopping alone and higher food costs for small portions are definitely things that affected my diet when I lived alone, but “inadequate cooking skills”? When I lived by myself, my cooking skills sky-rocketed! With nobody else to share cooking duties with or to limit the possible number of recipes(due to different tastes), I was left to learn every aspect of the cooking process and explore any and every kind of taste that came to mind! Others I know who have lived on their own have had similar experiences. Living with parents = no cooking skills, living with roommates = mediocre cooking skills, living alone = kitchen wizard.

I can’t imagine any reason why living alone would reduce a person’s ability to cook. Motivation, yes. But skills? Huh??? There was loads of times I ate really poorly when I lived alone, but it was never due to inadequate cooking skills.

Yep. I think the study may have come to that conclusion because one would either be cooking up a storm (like what you experienced), or being completely reliant on fast food + nuke-ables, with very little “in-betweeners”.

"I can’t imagine any reason why living alone would reduce a person’s ability to cook. "

I imagine they took a poll of people living alone and they reported that they had poor cooking skills. I didn’t see where the study reported that living alone reduced a person’s ability to cook. When I lived alone, I spent a year at a hotel that didn’t allow cooking in my room. That definitely reduced my ability to cook, since I didn’t know anyone in downtown Los Angeles.

Does anyone gather the family around to drink soylent together?

No, but if the family wants, they can gather everyone together to eat a special non-soylent meal. Soylent isn’t a religion, with Rob excommunicating anyone who doesn’t use Soylent that day.

Sure, but we’re only on version 2. Give us a couple hundred years at least, we’ll get there.