Long time users 90+%

I’ve been on 90+% Soylent since launch, with a temporary 6ish month break due to unemployment issues. I wanted to see who else has been using it as their primary food and what your experience has been.

I can’t say a whole lot in regards to long term use but I just started Soylent this week (on Sunday) and have enjoyed it. I am doing 1 bottle a day to get my body used to it before jumping in and going to at least 90% of my meals being Soylent.

I’ve found that it’s easier, I’m feeling full and can go longer between meals without feeling hungry. I haven’t had any ill effects with drinking it either. Even with 1 bottle a day (and regular food as other meals), I’ve noticed a decrease in my weight as well.

How has your experience been?

I’ve been on it for about 50% of my calories, since launch. Even though I’m well below your 90%, I’d still call it my primary food, because I’ve eaten as much Soylent as everything else combined in the last few years. Healthwise, I’ve never felt better.

I don’t know whether to call you guys pioneers, or guinea pigs. Either way I appreciate that you post on the forum and share your findings. I’m sure RL appreciates it too.

Well you certainly know how long we’ve been using Soylent as you’ve been here pretty much from the start just as we have. :wink: I’ve been around 75% to 80%, my other half is probably more like 50% to 60%, and that’s been for over 3 years now. Absolutely no ill effects of any kind, in fact only positives that have been discussed at length around here before (mood, energy, focus, mental clarity, skin, etc.) Those effects have reduced in time (they were crazy intense at first but mellowed after a few months) but are definitely still present. Any time we’ve found ourselves going without Soylent for some reason for more than 12 to 16 hours or so, we notice we are very “off” and don’t feel right again until we get back on Soylent.

A day without Soylent, royally sucks!

I was an original Soylent backer. The second I found out about it I signed up and had to wait months before I actually got the product. Instead of waiting for Soylent, I immediately started researching DIY and started about a week later when I got all the appropriate ingredients. I stayed on DIY up until 1.6 when they fixed the “horse killing farts” issue. After that I’ve been on powder or 2.0 around 90% of the time. About every other night I have a solid food meal.

I noticed the “feeling sooooo much better” phase like others. I think that feeling goes away just because it is becoming your new normal. I’ve been a huge fan since day 1 and Soylent has literally changed my life.

I’m probably about 80-90% since the start. It’s just normal, and a lot less crappy than what I was eating before.

I have been 70-80% soylent since launch . There was one powdered version I couldnt stand but luckily the liquid version came out shortly thereafter. My only issue has been severe dehydration per my doctor’s blood tests. Odd isn’t it. I guess drinking so much liquid reduces my bodys’ signals for water. The docs solution was, you guessed it, drink more water. It is strangely difficult. So, I really have to pay attention and make a conscious effort to drink alot more water than I am used to. It was really surprising to me how much water I was evidently getting from eating mostly bad fast food and microwave dinners.
I’m sticking with soylent and drinking lots more water.

Could it be that you’re urinating more than normal? Maybe something in the soylent is making your body work harder to excrete it.

I started Soylent at 1.4, but I’ve been drinking 3-4 bottles a day of 2.0 since its debut.
I’ve tried all the others, but added Coffiest - and now Vanilla- to the rotation as they came out.

I noticed at some point they added “can replace any meal, should not replace every meal,” but I’d say there are probably 1-2 days per week it makes up 100% of my calories.

My main reason for moving to Soylent? Laziness - I just tired of reading labels, counting calories, and comparing this vs that. I didn’t want to devote thought/stress out about my intake anymore - I just wanted something I knew was good for me.

Anyway - in addition to just grabbing a bottle, I often use Soylent as a base and add fruit (and other goodies) to make smoothies. I found the perfect 32oz metal cups and ice-killing stick blender. Not only did my diet improve, my trips to the grocery store are easy. And short.

I just realized the other day that it’s been over a year since I turned my stove/oven on - so my gas bill benefits too.

I might still devour a pizza over the occasional weekend, but I tell folks that for the most part, I couldn’t be eating better than I am right now.

Which reminds me - without doing a thing to change my activity levels (I work from home at a computer), my weight dropped by 15 pounds within the first 6 months of my switch to Soylent.

It still sits there - like me, but that’s my next challenge :slight_smile:

Going 100% Soylent was honestly the only way I could reliably lose weight. Conventional dieting never worked for me because I just loved the taste of food too damn much, and I couldn’t physically control myself from eating more and more once I started to taste it. Honestly, it’s been a godsend once my gut microbiome fully adjusted to it.

I am not as hardcore as most here, by my figures Soylent is at best about 75% of my diet. Like Elija I devour the occasional pizza or burger, but for the most part I am eating way better than before. I also work at a computer and sit at a desk for 9 -10 hours a day and it was important for me to cut out routine junk. My routine food is healthier and when I have ‘special occasion’ food, I enjoy it more. My office has meetings that are catered and I usually partake in those but when I need to account for my breakfast and lunch, it is always Soylent. I have a family and am required to cook most nights so dinner is usually solid but maybe a couple days a week I do a Soylent dinner for me, usually when my wife and kids are doing leftovers. (like last night)…Overall I would say my health has improved, I am still a little doughy in the middle but I have dropped close to 45 pounds of fat in just over a year, and I say fat because I do resistance training and my muscle definition is better than it was 20 years ago when I was in the Marines. I will likely continue Soylent indefinitely as it meets my nutritional needs better than the crap I was eating before, and I enjoy it equally as much.

Yes! I was an early backer then anxiously waited once it was fully funded. Finally got it and have been 90-95% ever since. Starting with powder then when 2.0 came out completely ditched the powder and am completely on the drink. I also had the bars while they were a thing. Before Soylent I was eating bad Ramen noodles/hot pockets/pb&js everyday so I’m obviously eating better at this point. My skin has looked much much better, I have more energy and feel more healthy. No problems ever for me. I never had bad farts or bad anything really. BIG OL’ SOYLENT FAN!

I have been on soylent since launch, ~75% of my diet. I already ate healthy so the biggest improvement for me was more free time. Biggest drawback - It was frustrating to have to supplement with protein powder, and the macronutrient ratio didn’t allow me to switch over 100%. In January I switched to super athlete fuel and it definitely fits my lifestyle better. I still keep two weeks of soylent on hand as emergency food though.

I have been ~90% for a little over two years now. I absolutely love the stuff. I drink my 5 bottles a day and I mix some extra protein powder in as needed after workouts and for some flavour when I want it. It has allowed me to finally start building up muscle and inching towards my goals. Seeing Sisyphus post about “super athlete fuel” interests me but being in Canada makes it less compelling. Currently I am the strongest and most active I have ever been in my life. This is as much due to the 2hrs of workouts I do every day, but soylent has been providing me with all the fuel I need. Not once have I ever felt like its let me down on the energy front.

I have been on ~90%, with weird tweaks along the way [1], for around two years now. I’ve blogged about my experiences, but here’s a summary:

Oh Soylent 1.5… You were my first and I’ll never forget you. You showed me what it was to be liberated from food, as well as disturbingly revealing exactly how much I was willing to sacrifice to be liberated from it. The rice protein contained in Soylent 1.5 destroyed my digestive system and yet, I continued to consume it for almost a year because the alternative of going back to cooking was just too arduous.

All these problems were fixed with Soylent 1.6+

[1] Drinking pickle juice on 1.5 to help my digestion. Chewing crackers or hard-tac, because otherwise my body doesn’t know I’ve eaten. Weird nightly cravings for pizza.

That’s an interesting aside. Have you noticed when you drink Soylent that you do so with a bit of a “chewing motion” as you drink? It’s been discussed around here before and it’s something I definitely noticed straight away even from 1.0. I can’t drink it like I would milk, water, or anything else. My body just insists on chewing it… which makes no sense at all as it’s a liquid! But there it is. Go figure!

Nah, no chewing motion for me. That might be why I’m more dependent on “chewing supplements” like hard-tac?

Yeah it certainly sounds like it. Though I still find the desire to munch on things quite regularly. I really REALLY hope they eventually develop Soylent crackers! That would be amazaballs.

I’m not a long time user, ot 90+% but I do notice that I chew a TON of gum on the days I do 60+%. Partially because I feel the need to chew and partially because I don’t love my breath after I’ve had Soylent, haha.