Looking for Feedback on my reduced carb soylent

Alright, I stated working on this soylent roughly6 months ago, and I’ve been using it for roughly 60% of my meals since then. I’ve been adjusting it for taste and based on how I’ve felt since then, and I finally think I found a recipe that I can commit to 100%.
http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/chocolate-banana-delicousness

It’s got a high initial startup cost but I’m not worried about the cost really, as I’ve been buying the pieces as I go kind of. Some notes:

1. I eat about 100g of romaine lettuce in the form of a salad, it’s not actually added to the drink
    2.My doctor told me I was at high risk for diabetes, due to both my parents having it, and me being overweight. He told me I should avoid eating a lot of carbs, which is why I chose to be so low in carbs and high in protein.
  2. I live a very active lifestyle, and I generally would like to consume about 2500 calories in a day. I chose to just give myself 400 calories of breathing room for the occasional snack, salad dressing or whatever.
  3. This recipe has been working exceptionally well at cutting fat while maintaining muscle, and it tastes amazing.

Now what I’d like to know from you smart folks here, is if anything in my recipe looks glaringly dangerous to my health, and if it’d be safe to take the plunge and start going at it 100% of the time, with only 400 calories or less on the side. Any tips or questions or general feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You’re moving in a right direction, @kcl5038
When we launched our 100%FOOD Low Carb version - we received a feedback that - it does not cause insulin spikes to boost diabetes and helps to loose weight. Go ahead and if you have plans to market it - we can help you.

I think your recipe looks great and I wouldn’t be worried about eating it myself. It seems similar to mine crude food 1.1 with frozen fruit. I like the greater variety you have for both protein and oil.

Just some general comments for you to consider:

I don’t think you need to add the MSM, I think the forums concluded you probably get enough sulfur from your protein sources.

I worry about flax oil both from a going rancid and a lignands effect on hormones perspective. Have you considered Chia seeds instead?

I am also in the lower carb is better camp, but I think there are concerns with high protein consumption and yours seems very high. Have you looked at lowering your protein and getting more calories from fat, perhaps increasing the coconut oil?

This is just a personal choice and I don’t have evidence to support it, but as long as the mix is low carb overall with plenty of fat and protein to keep blood sugar spikes down, I think it is healthier long term to avoid the artificial sweeteners like sucralose and just add sugar or honey for taste if necessary. I replaced my Mega Mens vanilla bean powder with the pills for this reason.

Anyway, good luck and report back on how you are doing.

I have tried Chia seeds, and they really don’t mix well at all. I wasn’t aware there were problems with flaxseed oil. I’ve been keeping my flax and fish oil refrigerated, not sure how to tell if it’s bad. As for replacing protein with fat, I’m just kind of worried about maintaining a 1:2 omega 3:6 ratio, and it’s ability to keep me filled up all day. What kind of side effects could I expect from too much protein consumption?

Well I admit a blender helps with the chia seeds or an overnight soak so they can gel. I typically blend in frozen fruit so I don’t notice them in my final smoothie like drink.

Not sure how to tell the flax seed oil is off either. Make sure your bottle is dark not clear, keep refrigerated, blend in right before consumption. People have mentioned buying from a seller with high volume of sales so the oil does not sit on their shelves for long.

If the oil you are adding is MCT it won’t change your omega 3:6 ratio. Oil should be good like the protein at keeping you full.

Long term protein may be hard on the kidneys and a lot of total mortality studies have shown high protein consumption leading to shorter lifespans. Short term the body can and will convert protein to glucose if it is short on carbs and has lots of protein.

http://diy.soylent.me/recipes/chocolate-banana-delicousness

I revised the recipe based on your recommendations, does that look to be a better balance of carb/protein/fat or should I drop more protein?

The new ratios look fine. My understanding is that 150g of protein is entirely reasonable for an active person like yourself.

First off, I am going to agree with axcho and say these ratios look fine and aren’t going to do any short term harm. You should start your plan and listen to how your body feels. What is great is that you have been on something very similar for a large amount of your diet for 6 months. This means your body won’t be shocked by what you are eating and you have a very good baseline to compare to. So eat this and see how you feel.

Now some longer term thoughts.
What exactly we should be eating is complicated. Two big problems with studying the subject are:

1. everybody is different. Some do well on high carbs and seem to need them. Carbs really mess up other people who should eat more fat. etc… at some point you need to figure out what works for you, and you seem to have already done this and decided to go lower carb which I agree with btw.
  2. the people reporting information you can find on the web and to a lesser extent the people conducting the studies have a built in bias and world view they want to promote. Vegetarians like to publish studies that say animal protein is bad for you, Palio proponents like to say we are evolved to live off the hunt and grains are unnatural. So there is a lot of contradicting evidence out there.

Long term, most studies seem to indicate you are eating too much protein. Now if you are young and lifting heavy weights for hours a day, then listen to the bodybuilders who are in agreement you need all the protein you currently take.
But if you aren’t trying to build muscle I would recommend you slowly lower your protein content while raising fat and see how your body responds, if you notice nothing then lower again after a few weeks.

Recent studies by the NIH ( here is a [link][1] to one) have reported that middle age people who consume high amounts of protein have overall higher mortality rates, interestingly over 65 it reverses and high protein intake helps lifespan. In these studies 20% of calories from protein was considered high and 10% was considered low. By this measure you are way to high.

So for what its worth my opinion is if you are young and trying to look ripped or a serious athlete looking for best performance go ahead and eat high protein for a couple of years. If you are middle aged it would probable improve your long term health to significantly lower your protein amount until you are older at which point consider increasing it again depending on what the science is saying at that point.

Sorry for such a long reply.
[1]: http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/march2014/03172014protein.htm

I guess I need to elaborate on my activity level. I work in a warehouse with a very strict “rate” which requires us to move boxes which weigh between 25-125lbs, at between 2-4 tons/hr. I do this 10 hours a day 4-5 days a week, and on my days off I enjoy staying busy playing basketball, soccer etc.
When I’m not eating soylent I can consume 4k or more calories and not gain weight. When I eat this for an entire week straight it’s not uncommon for me to lose 5+ lbs.

Now my main concern is maintaining my current natural muscle while losing the extra fat I’ve had for as long as I can remember. When I started this job I weighed about 285 with a lot less muscle, and I’ve kind of plateaud at 260 without diet changes. This Diy blend has been helping me cut weight at a kind of too fast rate, and I’m afraid I might be losing muscle.

You will certainly lose some weight with this much calorie reduction. This is also the type of work that the body can burn fat for energy so really high protein is not needed. I wouldn’t go to low protein (10%) since you are cutting weight, but 20% should be more than adequate and the constant work should cause your body to maintain existing muscle.

If you want to know for sure the best way is to get a DEXA scan done which will use x-rays to give you the exact amount of fat and lean body mass all over your body. Get a baseline and then check again every 20lbs or so you lose to make sure your aren’t losing to much muscle. If you are losing significant weight you will almost surely lose some muscle, 5+ pounds a week will not be sustainable long term. If you are actually stable at 4000 cal a day, you might want to increase your total calories some by adding more fat to the mix, a 1500 calorie deficit may cause you to lose energy and feel sluggish.

Best of luck, and I’m sure others would be interested in how much weight you lose with that type of work load and hearing what you finally settle on for your DIY each day. So please report back with results.

Any nutrient above 200% could be potentially dangerous, some of them in the short term and some in the long term. So try to reduce the vitamin doses that are above that level. Also dump the MSM. And dont even think of going with chia seeds or flax seeds or flax oil. Use hemp oil (omega 3) and sunflower seeds or oil ( for omega 6) (for seeds…milled or semi-milled or whatever kind that is easy to consume) if you want oils. Fish or canola oil (cold pressed) is okay too.

With ketogenic diet, the idea is to get the majority of your calories from fat and only as much protein as you really need, which is variable from person to person. The best consensus I could gather from the bodybuilding world is that the benefit ceiling for protein intake is .82 grams per pound of body weight (applicable to strength trainers), but most people will need around .4 grams per pound.

If you get too much protein, this can cause gluconeogenesis (creation of glucose from protein) and kick you out of ketosis.

Edit…I was wrong i am sorry. Hemp has even more manganese than chia. Continue with chia until you find a source with lesser.